Will a cow hide her calf

Help Support CattleToday:

I always think of the Mama as putting the calves through the fence. They hide the calves. They then leave them. Later they form creches and one cow will look after a whole heap of calves while the other mothers are away.

I heard of someone who put a calf on a mare. Horses are different. Foals are with their mothers all the time and they do not hide foals and leave them. The mare was continually fretting over the calf and getting it up to come with her.

Again thank you all for the responses and sharing your experiences I am pretty sure she didn't have her calf yet I just saw the mucas plug come out and notice her bag was fuller and was too exited. I don't have alot of patience and I constantly worry about things, so I am having to learn to be patient. These are my first cows I have helped a couple of buddies of mine with theirs for the last several years, but it is different when they are yours. Anyway this evening the cow in question looked fine she is still slow to get around and has the clear discharge but I also noticed my tiger cow had the same discharge and 3 of my black ones had the same and all of their bags are getting full. So maybe I will have a busy Christmas calving season.

Thanks

Daymon

DAYMON":iygjstfd said:
Again thank you all for the responses and sharing your experiences I am pretty sure she didn't have her calf yet I just saw the mucas plug come out and notice her bag was fuller and was too exited. I don't have alot of patience and I constantly worry about things, so I am having to learn to be patient. These are my first cows I have helped a couple of buddies of mine with theirs for the last several years, but it is different when they are yours. Anyway this evening the cow in question looked fine she is still slow to get around and has the clear discharge but I also noticed my tiger cow had the same discharge and 3 of my black ones had the same and all of their bags are getting full. So maybe I will have a busy Christmas calving season.

Thanks

Daymon
I hope you do have a busy Christmas calving season. And the patience thing doesn't get any better......for me anyway. I check em every morning before work, as soon as I get home, and once between 11-12 at night during calving season. I wouldn't have it any other way.

moto_0175.jpg
[/url][/img]
moto_0172.jpg
[/url][/img]

I finally had a calf, funny thing is it was from a different cow than I started this post about. Oh well nothing like a little experience to help you learn. Now waiting on the other cow she still looks like she could calve any time.

DAYMON":2zpwgmff said:
moto_0175.jpg

moto_0172.jpg

I finally had a calf, funny thing is it was from a different cow than I started this post about. Oh well nothing like a little experience to help you learn. Now waiting on the other cow she still looks like she could calve any time.
I don;t know what all you were trying to post but these were the only 2 pictures I could rescue from the stuff you had posted/linked

Congrats Daymon, glad to see it. Maybe the second calf will be born on Christmas day.

dun":3uce6tqe said:
Just try to spot the calf but stay away. Freqeuntly if the ocw has the calf hidden if it's found and you get to close she'll take it somewhere else to hide. Also there is a chance if you spook the calf it will take of running and be even harder to locate next time

Yep, there's nothing like finding a new calf and it jumps up and starts running. goes thru two fences and ends up 1/4 mile from where the moma left it. Done been there and done that too many times. Now I will not even get close to a new calf unless the moma is around, that way if it runs she can chase it not me.

Well I had another calf on the Jan. 5th, could have been the 4th and she had it hid. I feel a little silly because the cow I started this thread about still has yet to calve, she is the one I started the prolapse thread about. Anyway I am thankfull for the advice and am learning alot from this board.

thank you

Daymon

No need to feel silly. No matter how long u been doing it sometimes you just can't tell. I had one cow that I was sure would calve any second. I says to my wife "big momma (she is the queen of the herd, and the oldest), will be next, should calve in the next two or three days." Well, three weeks and 19 calves later she had her calf. Some of them that bag up and start springing will take 4-6 weeks to calve, others will bag up and calve over night.

I have two heifers that have been bagged up for about a month and still no calves. In the mean time 5 cows have calved who didnt start showing until about a week before they gave birth. If the cow is acting normal the calve should be ok. Cows and heifers are funny, they will make you think they are going to calve soon and it is another month before you get a baby.

My cows started calving the last day of the year during a break in the weather, right after it had rained a week.
If her bag is starting to fill up and you have a change in weather coming soon, she will probably calve right before the change in weather.

I have heard It is something about atmospheic pressure changing when the weather changes that will induce labor in a heavily bred cow.

Our vet put embryos in 7 cows on thanksgiving day in 2009. The first was born 2 november last year and the last was born at chrismas last year.

dun":1un39abm said:
Our vet put embryos in 7 cows on thanksgiving day in 2009. The first was born 2 november last year and the last was born at chrismas last year.

That is a big spread! Was the first a small heifer calf and the last a big bull calf?

I think the worst to wait on are heifers; they can make a fool out of anyone.

cypressfarms":10ombyvf said:
dun":10ombyvf said:

That is a big spread! Was the first a small heifer calf and the last a big bull calf?

I think the worst to wait on are heifers; they can make a fool out of anyone.
The first was a normal sized heifer the rest were bulls. All I can think of is they were from different flushes that's what made the calf genetics kind of wonky

Latest posts