Got a new digital camera...Canon PowerShot SX110IS...so far I'm impressed

CANON130.jpg

CANON035.jpg

CANON057.jpg

CANON016.jpg

CANON014.jpg

CANON158.jpg

CANON160.jpg

They (as in 2 bobcats) just sat there for about 5 mins or so until we drove off....yeah I know someone is gonna probably say..Why didn't you shoot it? IDK why we didn't, they aren't hurting us or the deer or our cattle so we just like to look at them...

Great pic of the bobcat. In these parts they are rare, and even rarer to see one - let alone catch with a camera. They aren't big enough to hurt anything besides the unlucky rabbit and rat, why would you want to kill one?

Now bears are a different story. The Louisiana black bear may be a comeback story for the conservationists, but they are causing all kinds of problems. I know a few hunters who had to run for their lives - literally. There killing is so forbidden, that you will be in court and have to prove your case for killing one. Thankfully, it looks like the Game Department has realized the problem - I've heard that Louisiana will have a season on them next year. Perhaps it will make them fear humans just enought to stay away.

cypressfarms":uon46e8u said:
Great pic of the bobcat. In these parts they are rare, and even rarer to see one - let alone catch with a camera. They aren't big enough to hurt anything besides the unlucky rabbit and rat, why would you want to kill one?

Now bears are a different story. The Louisiana black bear may be a comeback story for the conservationists, but they are causing all kinds of problems. I know a few hunters who had to run for their lives - literally. There killing is so forbidden, that you will be in court and have to prove your case for killing one. Thankfully, it looks like the Game Department has realized the problem - I've heard that Louisiana will have a season on them next year. Perhaps it will make them fear humans just enought to stay away.

Bobcats are our worst pedators on newborn calves, deer fawns and turkeys
A bobcat can find a 2 or 3 day old calve sleeping and kill him instantly before his momma knows what happens because they will stalk up on them unlike a coyote they don't sniff them and startle them before they attack they just attack

Angus Cowman":p5um7igi said:
A bobcat can find a 2 or 3 day old calve sleeping and kill him instantly before his momma knows what happens because they will stalk up on them unlike a coyote they don't sniff them and startle them before they attack they just attack

A 20 to 40 pound bobcat will attack an 75+ pound calf? I never knew. I know that bobcats hunt by themselves, as opposed to packs, so I assumed there was no rish whatsoever to calves. You learn something every day!

cypressfarms":1l33z9ee said:
Angus Cowman":1l33z9ee said:

A 20 to 40 pound bobcat will attack an 75+ pound calf? I never knew. I know that bobcats hunt by themselves, as opposed to packs, so I assumed there was no rish whatsoever to calves. You learn something every day!

O yeah they could very easily take down a new calf....look at these pic I found on the internet...the doe was probably at least 125lbs....but she did get away....

bobcat1.jpg

bobcat2.jpg

bobcat3.jpg

You sure that is a Bobcat?

Looks more like a Lynx attacking that deer - if only from the size of the cat - the tail may be wrong for a Lynx - it seems to me from memory it may have been shorter - Just a thought.

On two different times I had a Lynx walk right up to me while I was napping under a tree - mid day deer hunting :D - very curious animal and surprizingly large. Both times well within 10 yards of me.

Spectacular pics either way

Cheers

Bez+

Bez+":kxa5s3pl said:
You sure that is a Bobcat?

Looks more like a Lynx attacking that deer - if only from the size of the cat - the tail may be wrong for a Lynx - it seems to me from memory it may have been shorter - Just a thought.

On two different times I had a Lynx walk right up to me while I was napping under a tree - mid day deer hunting :D - very curious animal and surprizingly large. Both times well within 10 yards of me.

Spectacular pics either way

Cheers

Bez+
Looks like the bobcats we have around here
also a 40lb cat is bigger than my australian shepherds

Isn't that an awesome camera! I got one and have been having a blast with it. The zoom is incrediable.
Only thing that I hate is I lost the lens cap, so watch out for that. It just popped off.

I luv herfrds":bdf50k7z said:
Isn't that an awesome camera! I got one and have been having a blast with it. The zoom is incrediable.
Only thing that I hate is I lost the lens cap, so watch out for that. It just popped off.

Mine didn't come with a lens cap...

baxter78":1oehie7a said:
If your camera takes pictures that blurry I am not impressed at all. I have a 4 megapixel that takes better pics than that.
You would not be happy if you were hung with a new rope. :cowboy:

baxter78":3opb40tn said:
If your camera takes pictures that blurry I am not impressed at all. I have a 4 megapixel that takes better pics than that.

Well, when you zoom FAR PAST the intended optical zoom, yes it does get a bit blurry...

Check out this big guy we saw tonite...you may or may not be able to tell from the pic, but this is one BIG cat....I think it's the biggest one I've ever seen in my 15 yrs of living....

bobcat012.jpg

Latest posts