Wildfires in Cal

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Gads that's scary! So sorry they lost two firefighters.
Didja hear about the people who hid in their hottub? Think they were burned pretty bad. Why will anyone stay when they're told to get out?

I saw a press release the other day from Oregon. Seems some industry groups are protesting the forest services logging plan, arguing that it doesn't clear enough undergrowth to minimize the fire hazard.
An issue I'm not studied enough to address. I only post this because the name of the industry spokesperson was Ann Forrest Burns. Not kidding.

Seems like every year there is either a fire or a mud slide in Cali. You would think that people would get the message: Don't build a house on a hillside in a place where you stand a good liklihood of sliding downhill or getting burned out. Fire is a natural part of things. The more you try to prevent them from happening, the worse they will be when they do happen. Makes no sense. And people are surpised by it every time. Duh.

Lammie":2lx90s2d said:
Seems like every year there is either a fire or a mud slide in Cali. You would think that people would get the message: Don't build a house on a hillside in a place where you stand a good liklihood of sliding downhill or getting burned out. Fire is a natural part of things. The more you try to prevent them from happening, the worse they will be when they do happen. Makes no sense. And people are surpised by it every time. Duh.

It is the same with people building houses on the river flood plains all across the U.S. Why?

Yes, there are plenty of places people build houses where they shouldn't. I think in some cases they are limited by their income and build where they can afford. And in other cases they are wealthy and build wherever they want because they can. I think it's nothing but greed that motivates the housing developers who build communities along the walls of desert canyons that burn and flood as part of a predictable cycle. When the rainy season starts the mudslides always follow. Why were those communities approved in the first place? It's very, very sad for those who chose to live there, but like Lammie said - Duh. I wonder what the cost is to fight the fires 24 hours a day? Do we have the money to pay for it? No. Seems like a handful of people made money off that bright idea and for everyone else it became a big, burnt black hole.

Lammie":3b1x7yql said:

You'd think they'd learn....they have fires and earthquakes....if you live on the coast you should expect to get blown away about once every 15-20 years...if you live below sea level you should expect to get flooded occasionally...if you live in the Klondike it gets cold. !!!! Insure your property and memorize the FEMA hotline so you can get signed up for all that free $h_t. :tiphat:

2/B if you ever get a chance look at what they spend fighting one of those fires. It will blow your mind and probably make you mad. I saw one today in the reports, about 900 acres, and they had over 900 people on it. Jogeephus, wonder what it cost for the ones in your area a couple of years ago. Almost a million acres for all of them I think.

kenny thomas":2lpt4zem said:
2/B if you ever get a chance look at what they spend fighting one of those fires. It will blow your mind and probably make you mad. I saw one today in the reports, about 900 acres, and they had over 900 people on it. Jogeephus, wonder what it cost for the ones in your area a couple of years ago. Almost a million acres for all of them I think.

You are right, it would be mind boggling. Personally, I was outside of "the disaster area" so little to no federal resources were used on putting ours out. We did get some federal help but it was only due to some strings being pulled to get some resources shifted our way. What makes me so mad about our fire is that had the court system actually done its job and locked up the arsonist when he burned down the barn, or when he burned down the store, or when he ran over a man that tried to stop him, or had they done their job when he was caught burning down the house - our fires never would have happened. We did fill out a bunch of forms through the victim's advocacey agency that is run by a politician's wife who said we could get some form of restitution. Total waste of time. He is out of jail now after serving 18 months. Of course he only destroyed $750,000 worth of timber and would cost us another $275,000 in reforestation fees if we had the money to actually do this. BTW, I caught another arsonist red handed this spring who set three fires from the road. Turned it over to the police and they slapped his hand and let him go without so much as a citation! :shock:

I agree about the courts. We charged one here a couple of years ago. He had burned 2 barns, one full of hay and machinery, a house, a couple of abandoned houses, and set a dozen woods fires that we could prove. He spent about three months and now I see him every day. He will not even look me in the eye. No one got anything for the damage.

We have one running around here now ,3 weeks ago he set a field on fire on friday, then on saturday an old house burned less than a 1/8th mile away , then on monday I had some dead limbs and leaves next to a gate set on fire luckily it was to wet to burn much and a neighbor came buy and put the rest out
all of this was in less than a 1/2 mile of the first

Latest posts