Wildcat Creek Ranch

Help Support CattleToday:

Boot Jack Bulls

Reaction score
I heard that Wildcat Creek Ranch is dispersing in September. We are adding some new lines to our program and specifically looking at Red Angus to make red LimFlex replacements and bull prospects....so is this a program worth looking at? Anyone ever use their bloodlines and what did they seem to click with????

Don't know much about Wildcat Creek but will pass on the little that I do know. My understanding is that the owners of Wildcat Creek made their money in the oil business. Considering that oil prices have taken a hit recently, makes me wonder if they are needing cash and that is the reason for the dispersal.

Though I could be incorrect, I was under the impression that they are a relatively new cattle outfit (around 5 years old). That being said, I am not sure if they truly had developed much of their own breeding program. As recently as the fall of 2013 they were purchasing females from other operations, so I assume that many of the females selling in this sale were purchased from other herds.

It may be worth a call to the cattle manager to quiz him on their breeding program to see if their focus is similar to yours.

You'd have to be a pretty big cattle operation to even put a dent in any sort of oil money shortfall - not saying it isn't the case, but from what I know of oil if they owe money, selling some cattle may only float them another month or 2.

They had sold off the mature cowherd a year ago I believe. Sounds like this is the second leg of a retirement type sale.

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like this program wasn't around very long. Anyone have some good suggestions for more established Red Angus programs to look into? We need the phenotype that can be competetive, but cannot give up on growth and maternal traits either. Also, would like to maintain frame score (solid 6 to 7 on most of our stock). It seems this is a hard order to fill in the RA breed. I posted some pics of the type of cows we have in the "Cow Pictures" thread. These girls cross nice on our Angus bulls, and of course our Limis, but we would like to be able to produce more red LimFlex cattle too. Thanks in advance!

Boot Jack Bulls":13viisx1 said:
Thanks for the responses. It sounds like this program wasn't around very long. Anyone have some good suggestions for more established Red Angus programs to look into? We need the phenotype that can be competetive, but cannot give up on growth and maternal traits either. Also, would like to maintain frame score (solid 6 to 7 on most of our stock). It seems this is a hard order to fill in the RA breed. I posted some pics of the type of cows we have in the "Cow Pictures" thread. These girls cross nice on our Angus bulls, and of course our Limis, but we would like to be able to produce more red LimFlex cattle too. Thanks in advance!

Send brg a pm. He can set you up.