Wild Turkeys

Help Support CattleToday:

crop hail

Reaction score
The Turkeys have made their annual voyage back to our country for the spring and summer months. They usually show up this time of year but leave in the fall. We never see them later in the year than about August or September. Why do they leave? The San Saba river is about 2 miles from our place as a crow flies and there are lots of big pecan trees and huge orchards along it and I wonder if they stay down on the river in the fall and winter (eating pecans?) and come up to our country in the spring and summer to breed and nest. We have plenty of water around ( Stock Tanks ) and tall live oak trees for them to roost in and in the fall and winter all of the deer feeders are going putting out corn so its not a food or water issue.
Im not really a turkey hunter, I have shot 1 turkey in my life when I was a kid. I do think that they are cool to have around though and my little boy might want to shoot one in a few years.

I see the same behavior, My theory-------They like my place when there is cover.

I have a dozen hens and 2 toms that started showing up 2-3 weeks ago. Hadn't seen them since last fall. Old toms were strutting when I saw them yesterday.

We have turkeys out the wazoo. This past 2 weeks the gobblers have been working the hens. You have to shoo them out of the road to get any where.

I like seeing all the turkeys. The old timers here claim its good to have large turkey flocks. They control the bugs like grasshoppers, army worms, etc.

In late fall and winter they start getting into big flocks and food sources move them pretty good distances. Then in the spring as breeding season approaches they start breaking up. With everything greening up and bugs, frogs etc. coming out, food is everywhere. B&G

Had a blast turkey hunting this morning. Ended up killing this gobbler but the real fun came later when I hunted another one. We played cat and mouse for over an hour. He won but it was fun trying to get him in range.

17426200_1698622470435645_3953206651760067170_n.jpg

Bright Raven":3k4m6ejn said:
Bigfoot":3k4m6ejn said:
The boy killed this one this morning. Good hunt.

Nice. Great gun for a youngster.

He's got a pretty neat little youth pump. He's gotten to where he prefers the old double barrel for turkeys.

Congrats to him Bigfoot. To give some thought on the original post, Most turkeys have a spring summer pattern for breeding/nesting and then go into their fall winter pattern. It is mostly about available foods and habitat for nesting/ breeding. Thats why they move. If a property has both then you will keep them. Some large properties around our state have both types of habitat for them mixed together so they dont see the migration so to speak. Some properties hold turkeys all winter but have none come turkey season(spring) and some folks around here just cannot grasp that. lol

Bigfoot":1eypvp2r said:

Is he learning to call them up now Bigfoot or is he just setting up in your fields where they normally feed at?

shaneb":2l1vafx9 said:
Bigfoot":2l1vafx9 said:

Is he learning to call them up now Bigfoot or is he just setting up in your fields where they normally feed at?
Calling. Use decoys sometimes. Run and gun proves to be a waste. I think it's how I run is the problem.

Got this one this morning. 18lbs, 11" beard. Probably the smallest one I've shot yet.

Anyone else having any luck this season?

Atimm693":1vnjx7dj said:
Got this one this morning. 18lbs, 11" beard. Probably the smallest one I've shot yet.

Anyone else having any luck this season?

Nice bird.

Bigfoot":2629dh45 said:
shaneb":2629dh45 said:
Bigfoot":2629dh45 said:

Calling. Use decoys sometimes. Run and gun proves to be a waste. I think it's how I run is the problem.
Thats great bigfoot. Before you know it, he will be running and gunning all over that farm. Glad to hear yall are having fun with it together.

Latest posts