Wild Turkey

Help Support CattleToday:

I pour very hot water over mine before plucking. After the hot water the feathers almost fall off the bird. Also I take and make a batter of pancake mix and cheap malt liquior beer , cut the breast into half inch strips batter and fry.

Dip in hot water and pluck.
enject flavering of your choice in meat.
drop in a turkier frier for about 45 min.
grab a cold bud light and start eatin.

Cal

Bullbuyer":15xh3dlu said:
Where's your dog ? Get ya' one of those Pyrenees or a Lab, etc.

Our English Shepherd does a great job flushing the wild turkeys out of the hay barn, then she dives in to get a few mice to boot. I've noticed that the turkeys frequent the barn less -- I'm figuring they're getting tired of being harrassed.

I like the pie plate idea, though, and think I might try it in a couple of places, too. We've got truckloads of turkeys.

flaboy-":2payvgur said:
Hasbeen":2payvgur said:
You guys understand I'm talking about wild turkeys, right? I don't know anyone who plucks them like a domestic bird.

Yep, WILD turkeys. Always pluck. Like Dun, I don't know anyone who skins turkeys. My neighbor just started raising chickens to butcher. He says he is going to skin them. I told him give me a hollar when he does I want to see the process.

Must be a regional thing. I just walked around and took a survey here at work and everyone skins them. Live and learn, I guess. Plucking just seems like a lot of work when most just eat the breast anyway. I may try the "pluck and fry" method on my next one.

Hasbeen":2n0x5ztw said:
flaboy-":2n0x5ztw said:
Hasbeen":2n0x5ztw said:
You guys understand I'm talking about wild turkeys, right? I don't know anyone who plucks them like a domestic bird.

Yep, WILD turkeys. Always pluck. Like Dun, I don't know anyone who skins turkeys. My neighbor just started raising chickens to butcher. He says he is going to skin them. I told him give me a hollar when he does I want to see the process.

Must be a regional thing. I just walked around and took a survey here at work and everyone skins them. Live and learn, I guess. Plucking just seems like a lot of work when most just eat the breast anyway. I may try the "pluck and fry" method on my next one.

Same here, we all skin them. Actually I only skin down the breast to the wings then I roll the breasts off and us the rest as yote bait. Takes less than 5 minutes if you've got a good spot to hang him. For you "pluckers" it probably takes longer than that to get your water hot. :lol:

El_Putzo":3gggokc5 said:
Same here, we all skin them. Actually I only skin down the breast to the wings then I roll the breasts off and us the rest as yote bait. Takes less than 5 minutes if you've got a good spot to hang him. For you "pluckers" it probably takes longer than that to get your water hot. :lol:

Yup nd we eat everything but the feet head feathers and guts. Learned a long time ago to not waste meat

dun

dun":2fcnceb6 said:
El_Putzo":2fcnceb6 said:

Yup nd we eat everything but the feet head feathers and guts. Learned a long time ago to not waste meat

dun

I agree with Dun. I have seen killed deer with just the backstrap removed. I REALLY don't like those kinds of folks. :mad:

I'll be glad to send you boys the thighs and legs on the next one. Just give me your addresses. As for me, I've given it a go and the only way that I've found to prepare the legs and thighs is bake and grind up into turkey salad, and I'm not too hip on that stuff. Sometimes I give them to the in-laws, they like that kind of stuff.

Flaboy, I've seen the same as you, and sometimes worse, they cut off the head (must of had a nice rack) and leave the rest of the carcass. Be careful who you lump into that group though, most of those guys are poachers, which I am not.

Also, taking the breast (approx. 80% of the eatable meat) off a turkey is slightly different than taking the backstraps (approx. 20% of the eatable meat) off of a deer.

El_Putzo":n6byjtsq said:
I'll be glad to send you boys the thighs and legs on the next one. Just give me your addresses. As for me, I've given it a go and the only way that I've found to prepare the legs and thighs is bake and grind up into turkey salad, and I'm not too hip on that stuff. Sometimes I give them to the in-laws, they like that kind of stuff.

Flaboy, I've seen the same as you, and sometimes worse, they cut off the head (must of had a nice rack) and leave the rest of the carcass. Be careful who you lump into that group though, most of those guys are poachers, which I am not.

Also, taking the breast (approx. 80% of the eatable meat) off a turkey is slightly different than taking the backstraps (approx. 20% of the eatable meat) off of a deer.

We're big fans of turkey and dumplings. aafter we eat it baked the next day we have turkey and dumplings and all of they meat that's left from the first meal goes in the pot.

dun

Turkey season here. One gets gutted and plucked so it can be fried. Second one is skinned and baked, know some meat is wasted on that one but no way can I throw out the drumsticks or my son would kill me however the neck and guts are all thrown out.

Last person I saw eat a turkey neck was my grandpa, yuk! Know my mom still saves and cooks dang near all the bird but the woman still loves fried chicken gizzards.

Ryan, if you got turkeys in your feed bunks sounds like your putting out too much feed for the cattle to clean up at one time. I'll see turkeys scratching in the cattle poop in the field my replacment heifers are on right now to get at any grain that may be in it but never are they up near where I feed them.

J