Wild steer help

Help Support CattleToday:

Agboy

Reaction score
Ok heres the situation I have a steer that has tested me beyond myself. This wild devil is more like an outlaw then anything. Very spooky if you get even close to him to try an corral him. Jumped several fences an off course brought the whole heard with him. I have been trying my darndest to get him in the barn so I can lock him up. But you cant get close to him or if he even sees you he takes off. I am just about to the point off shooting it. No kidding. Ive had with him. I thought about a tranquilizer gun but dont know much about them.So whatt would you do guys. Hes alone now. I had 2 steers with him but still couldnt do nothing with him. I am desperate. I will try anything. So can you help me out guys. I am thoroughly disguted.I been around a lot off cattle over the years. But this critter is possesed. Thanks for any help or advice. I am open for anything.

Saddle up and go rope him. Run an old rope through the side of a stock trailer and pull him in. Next stop sale barn. This way works and it is lots of fun!

Yeh I got that option in mind. Just got to try an find somebody to do it. This critter has a lot off vigor an Im not in open country so I dont know how that would work in my area. Youd have run him quite awhile to wear him down to rope him. He moves fast an we have highways with lots off traffic. How about a tranquuilizer gun anybody know anything about them.

Agboy":2gzygo38 said:
Ok heres the situation I have a steer that has tested me beyond myself. This wild devil is more like an outlaw then anything. Very spooky if you get even close to him to try an corral him. Jumped several fences an off course brought the whole heard with him. I have been trying my darndest to get him in the barn so I can lock him up. But you cant get close to him or if he even sees you he takes off. I am just about to the point off shooting it. No kidding. Ive had with him. I thought about a tranquilizer gun but dont know much about them.So whatt would you do guys. Hes alone now. I had 2 steers with him but still couldnt do nothing with him. I am desperate. I will try anything. So can you help me out guys. I am thoroughly disguted.I been around a lot off cattle over the years. But this critter is possesed. Thanks for any help or advice. I am open for anything.

This is so common a complaint that I would suggest you do a search on how to catch a wild steer - bet we see this about 40 - 50 times a year here - if not more.

So - rather than waste my time and yours with all the potential explanations - here is one that works every time.

Feed him a pile of grain over the next few weeks - and water him well. Same place and same time every day.

When you figure he is nice and fat - feed him an even bigger pile of grain - it will steady him up for this - line him up and shoot him between the eyes - you can do it from out to 100 yards - so I am sure you will be able to get close enough to kill him - gut him right there and take him to the butcher.

Less hassle and will taste fine as he died nice and relaxed.

Or call your veterinarian and find out who can tranq him - do it yourself and you might kill him.

Or do a search here - find out how to build solid infrastructure and then find out how to trap him.

Good luck

Bez+

Call the locker, find out when they can take him. On that appointed day, go out and shoot him in the head. Field dress and quarter him and bring him in to be processed. I would not mess with feeding him up ~ sounds like he is more trouble than he is worth in grain and time.

angie":zqn7pqtc said:
Call the locker, find out when they can take him. On that appointed day, go out and shoot him in the head. Field dress and quarter him and bring him in to be processed. I would not mess with feeding him up ~ sounds like he is more trouble than he is worth in grain and time.

I agree. Get him before he gets you. I dropped a crazy heifer this fall. I tried to feed her but after 2 bags of feed I decided it was too dangerous. Meat turned out suprisingly good too.

I would not shoot him. Bez is right a couple months to maybe a year ago we had this exact post. Once we loaded a young bull which was exactly the same way. He had so much fight he took out every gate. We got him in a half finished barn and he was raming the posts when you were on the other side hoping to get you. THe best thing is to take him in slow. The slwoer you go the easiar it will be. If you go out in the pasture hauling ass you will never get him. Take it slwo and try to get other cattle in with him. load a few in the trailer with him (should be easier) and then sort from there is your trailer is big enough.

Take it slow.

angie":k7qk6e0q said:
CattleHand":k7qk6e0q said:
I would not shoot him.
Why?
Neither you nor Bez say why you would not shoot him.

Actually, if you read my post I said I WOULD shoot him.

After a period of graining and slow handling.

I would then field dress and butcher.

Been there once or twice in the past - easy and simple

But each to his own

Regards

Bez+

Bez+":2vpxfvi4 said:
angie":2vpxfvi4 said:
Why?
+
Ugh ~ you are right, I was distracted and I know that you said you would shoot him.
What I meant to ask is why wait to shoot him?

angie":55d7sjjk said:
Bez+":55d7sjjk said:
angie":55d7sjjk said:
Why?
+
Ugh ~ you are right, I was distracted and I know that you said you would shoot him.
What I meant to ask is why wait to shoot him?

No need to wait if he is ready for the freezer - if he is then give him some grain to steady him up and do the deed.

If not - fatten him and then kill him

Cheers

Bez+

Bez+":3exd1tf5 said:
No need to wait if he is ready for the freezer - if he is then give him some grain to steady him up and do the deed.
If not - fatten him and then kill him
Ah. Yes, I see.
I still vote for shoot him now, regardless ~ but as you say "to each his own".

Thanks for all the help an tips guys. Ive been working at getting him in the barn. Did catch him in there a couple days ago. But was not quick enough for the gate. He sped away. An just about run over me. Hell be back. I have a rope that is attached to the gate so I dont have to get in there with him. Only place he can get feed an water so hell be back in time. Yeh cattlehand stated it best. You cant go after him. You just wait for him to make the next move. Its getting colder an nastier as far as the weather goes. That barn will look mighty nice on these cold days. Ill keep you guys posted on what happens. Thanks again for the help.

Be careful and don't get hurt. Fella up the road got run over at the gate a month or so ago. His hospital bill came to $60,000. It ain't worth it.

Jogeephus":ghs4ergv said:
Be careful and don't get hurt. Fella up the road got run over at the gate a month or so ago. His hospital bill came to $60,000. It ain't worth it.

Very careful! I had one some time back that made me jump a 5 foot fence. Never knew I could do such a thing. Figured it was better if I did it on my own rather than wait that extra second or so for the bull to do it for me. I hope I never get in that situation again.

And yes... it was one of those "gentle" bulls. :lol2:

As the doc told me, those calves are a lot stronger and tougher then you are old man. Had a yearling heifer run over the top of me, took better then a year for the bruised lung, kidneys, spleen, liver to quit being painfull.

Agboy":3pvqn3s7 said:
Thanks for all the help an tips guys. Ive been working at getting him in the barn. Did catch him in there a couple days ago. But was not quick enough for the gate. He sped away. An just about run over me. be nice be back. I have a rope that is attached to the gate so I dont have to get in there with him. Only place he can get feed an water so be nice be back in time.
What are you planing to do with him if you can get him shut up in that barn?

Thats a good question. As wild as he is. He hates contained areas or area where hes trapped. He just goes crazy when he sees people. I need to get a horse an run em down so theres no run left in him an choke him down an then he would probably do what I want him to do. One option that Im thinking about. This critter is unusual. I had him trapped in a tight yard or I thought it was an had him with three other steers. Well in the night he jumped over this gate left a dent in the top but everything was still standing. The three steers were in but he was out. That happened a couple off times. Definitly one for the books. Keep you guys posted. Thanks for the input.

if you want to take the time on him you can. but if he doesn't calm down with in a few weeks of being in the barn i'd ship him or kill him. theres no need in wasting time money and having him possibly tear up your barn. but i hope it all goes well. good luck sounds like your gonna need it.

I am sure someone suggested a bullet by now. If not put a bullet in his brain and butcher him.

Latest posts