Wild pears

Help Support CattleToday:

I have an old tree that was loaded this year also. Only need so many canned pears and pear preserves so I took the surplus and made perry with it. If you unfamiliar with perry is it is similar to hard apple cider only made with pears. This was a popular drink of our forefathers before the era of prohibition. Typically perry was dry but I chose to make this sparkling with a very light sweetness which if you are familiar with fermentation is a contradiction. It was a little more difficult but the effort was rewarded with roughly $120 worth of a pleasant libation with a tax savings of roughly $30. I thought the return favorable given an investment in time of about two hours and some patience. I just hope I don't go blind.

41229897_1680800582025921_4097082128150298624_n.jpg

Jogeephus":1cz56f3l said:
I have an old tree that was loaded this year also. Only need so many canned pears and pear preserves so I took the surplus and made perry with it. If you unfamiliar with perry is it is similar to hard apple cider only made with pears. This was a popular drink of our forefathers before the era of prohibition. Typically perry was dry but I chose to make this sparkling with a very light sweetness which if you are familiar with fermentation is a contradiction. It was a little more difficult but the effort was rewarded with roughly $120 worth of a pleasant libation with a tax savings of roughly $30. I thought the return favorable given an investment in time of about two hours and some patience. I just hope I don't go blind.

Nice I could make a ton of everything with these. I never canned the pears only made preserves since there like rocks. I may look into Perry

If they are hard it sounds like what we call horse pears or sand pears. These are hard as a rock but this is great for canning since their hardness makes them withstand canning and they will end up nice and soft once canned but they won't be mush.

Jogeephus":2fgj7iqm said:
If they are hard it sounds like what we call horse pears or sand pears. These are hard as a rock but this is great for canning since their hardness makes them withstand canning and they will end up nice and soft once canned but they won't be mush.

That's what these are there ridiculously hard I like them for preserves for the same reason

skyhightree1":4p8zm995 said:
Jogeephus":4p8zm995 said:

That's what these are there ridiculously hard I like them for preserves for the same reason

Can you some. You'll like them. Make perry out of the rest. If it don't blind you it will cure all sorts of aches and pains and if you drink enough you can wrestle alligators or tornadoes.

Jogeephus":moq4q9zy said:
with a tax savings of roughly $30. I thought the return favorable given an investment in time of about two hours and some patience. I just hope I don't go blind.

So, untaxed liquor? That is a Federal Crime........ (Of course I have a source that gets me a case of quart jars of some of East Tennesse' finest on a routine basis. But I do pay the tax..." wink" "wink") ;-)

sstterry":1mzfaw09 said:
So, untaxed liquor? That is a Federal Crime........ (Of course I have a source that gets me a case of quart jars of some of East Tennesse' finest on a routine basis. But I do pay the tax..." wink" "wink") ;-)

my kind of guy :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

Pears from my tree are better than normal. May be they parboiled on the tree last month or something....