wild hogs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Post Oak

Reaction score
My boss wants me to help him build a fence around his two duck ponds to keep the wild hogs out. The two duck ponds are about 3 or 4 acres each. Does anybody have any experience fencing wild hogs out?

Post Oak":2b4xgynd said:
My boss wants me to help him build a fence around his two duck ponds to keep the wild hogs out. The two duck ponds are about 3 or 4 acres each. Does anybody have any experience fencing wild hogs out?

Good luck.
Thing that work's is a 12 volt Parmak Solar electric fence.
Hog's don't like electricity. You will rebuild it a few times until they learn.

I know this may not be real helpful, but my idea is some hog hunting. we have got them real bad too, over the last 10 years.

I fence them out of oats and hay fields and have some experience with farmers fencing them off crop land.

There are several ways that work for me. I have 3 hot wires on a solar pannel, a regular barb wire fence but several wires really close at the bottom, and field fencing, net wire, hog wire... what ever you want to call it.

Price and appearance play a factor in which way to go. My personal preferance is to build a regular barb wire fence but put about 4 or 5 wires, every other gap on a t post, from ground level. Then space the rest of the wires out like usual. Its the most durable, best looking, and easiest to maintain.

Hot wires require the most mainenance. Field fencing is fine unless they start go thru or under it. Then its a mess. You end up runnning hot wires and stuff any ways. It hard to splice back and restretch.

What about doing both? Use the hotwire as a temporary fence around the ponds then use the hogwire to construct about a half acre trap pen with a couple of one way doors on it. Inside the trap, be sure there is some water and hang a couple of automatic feeders in the pen to lure them inside the pen. Once they get accustomed to feeding set the doors and trap the whole bunch.
When your pig population is in check you can pull up the electric around the duck pond.

True, they will tear it apart if they are upset but if you fence a large enough area where they have food and water they are not apt to get upset till you start plinking them.