Wild hogs

Help Support CattleToday:

Never seen a calf get in one, but I've seen plenty of deer get caught in a hog trap. You talk about something WILD when it gets penned, check out a deer in a hog trap. Traps work well, but catching them with dogs is so much fun I'd hate to spoil the fun with a trap.

JPO":3swe713w said:
Around here they have people who will actually buy them live from trappers. I have considered putting out traps but those same traps can also catch calves.

you have to check them daily. depending on the design you can catch baby calves and deer as others mentioned. it's kind of hard to catch big boars in traps but that's where the big bucks are. you get paid by weight & some of the really big ones can bring around $500. lots easier to catch sows & piglets & if you catch enough of them it can also make some nice spending cash.

Are you guys talking about the kinda hogs that were in Ol' Yeller?? If I recall they had wild hogs in the movie. It's been a while since I've seen it.
Ellie May

I never thought much of Rotts as far as hunting. The American Bulldogs are about the best I've ever seen. Then again good catch dogs are a dime a dozen. It's the bay dogs that are difficult to come by and train. We caught 3 over the weeknd and didn't even have a catch dog. Our curs and hounds caught them.

Are these hogs really wild or did they decend from feral hogs that got loose? My aunt in Oklahoma says that when hog prices went to **** in the 90's some guys just let their hogs go and this is where their "wild" hogs come from.

BLACKPOWER said:
Are these hogs really wild or did they decend from feral hogs that got loose? My aunt in Oklahoma says that when hog prices went to be nice in the 90's some guys just let their hogs go and this is where their "wild" hogs come from.

There is a combination of both. In the piney woods country there are hogs whose ancestors for at least 100 generations that never domesticated.

Most of the time you can tell the difference. The wild ones we say they are 100% wild but in actuality I believe they were dumped here by Spanish in the 1400's and a few wrecked Pirates. We have caught both. The really nasty one's with a Russian look are "piney wood rooters". They eat rattlesnakes and anything else they can get hold of. I even heard tell of them killing black bears in the Northern parts of the state. I have seen pigs that were just fat little pugs with short snouts that I could swear were loose domestics or had domestic breeding.

BLACKPOWER":35d5as5j said:
Are these hogs really wild or did they decend from feral hogs that got loose? My aunt in Oklahoma says that when hog prices went to be nice in the 90's some guys just let their hogs go and this is where their "wild" hogs come from.

agree that most are a combination of both. many boars will have "tusks" like wild hogs but coloration and build will be like domesticated hogs. not being overly familiar w/breeds of hogs, i can't tell you the exact name but quite a few are orangish/red w/black spots.

Agree. All of them came from domestic stock at one point or another, but no telling when. They are completely different than javelina which are small, indigenous and nasty.

Craig-TX

Spotted Poland China. A lot depends on the area and the popularity. In some areas the Hampshire is the common source stock, black and white belted.

dun

txag":2p16u0yd said:
BLACKPOWER":2p16u0yd said:

orangish/red w/black spots.

dun":3dy15poy said:
Spotted Poland China. A lot depends on the area and the popularity. In some areas the Hampshire is the common source stock, black and white belted.

dun

txag":3dy15poy said:
BLACKPOWER":3dy15poy said:

orangish/red w/black spots.

thanks dun. i knew hamp, duroc & york but that's about where my pig breed knowledge ends. i think at one time in college i must have learned them but not something i seem to have retained.

A friend of mine is into hog hunting big time.When he's killed enough for his freezer, he tries to catch trophy hogs to trade with a game ranch for free dear hunts. He has some catahoulas for tracking and a couple of pit bulls for the catch dogs. Once the pits grab hold and the hog slows down he puts hoof cuffs on the pig. If they are too big h'ell use a tranquilizer.
HE had a large bore penned in his round penn for a couple of months that seemed to be getting tame. I showed up at his house one morning and there was blood all over the ground near the gate of the pen. My friend told me he and his buddy had caught a nice bore for the game farm and they went to put it in the penn with the other one. Well, the one he had penned up became possesive of the penn area and charged after the new hog while they were dragging it in. While going to tusk the new hog he caught my friend's buddy instead. Cut the man deep,up in the muscle, from his lower calf to right below the but. The man almost bled to death. MY friend had just got back from a hospital visit when I arrived.

The days of the old style family farm are just about gone. A lot of people today don't realize what previous generations knew about hogs. Whether it was a big boar or a protective sow, they were the most dangerous animals on the farm.

Craig-TX

I'll go along with that! They are so deceptivly quick they can get a hold before you realize they're moving.

dun

Craig-TX":6iem7c0b said:
The days of the old style family farm are just about gone. A lot of people today don't realize what previous generations knew about hogs. Whether it was a big boar or a protective sow, they were the most dangerous animals on the farm.

Craig-TX

Despite my username, I do like to have the chance to bust a few pigs now and then --- so in a way I'm glad there are some running around in rural Texas. But I realize that they can certainly get out of hand. I just got an interesting report from one of my hunting buddies. Late this past deer deer season (which would be in January down here in Texas) he hunted over an oat patch that he estimated to be about 500 yards long by 200 yards wide, so I guess it was about 21 acres. He said one evening, using his binoculars, he stopped counting pigs when he got to 75 and he said there were lots more to count. Today my buddy got a call from the ranch owner, who reported that earlier this week he had hired some hog hunters who used a helicopter and they killed right at 140 pigs in one session! They then dug a pit with a dozer and buried them. I've always believed in myself (or somebody else) eating anything I kill, but I guess I can't really blame the guy in this case. Can you imagine the damage that a huge "herd" of hogs like that could do to an oat patch that was meant for calves or deer, or what they could do to the ranch land & fences in general? Regards, Arnold Ziffle

They could have gotten some guys with dogs and traps and accomplished results without burying good meat in a landfill. I don't like to hear about that. Hog hunters with dogs will pen the hogs and sell them for barbeque, or the big ones to trophy hunt ranches. The balance could be turned loose in another area where they can be hunted again. When we hunt places overrun we try to catch boar hogs, castrate and turn them right back, since we can't keep them all and a good bar hog will eat better in the future.

Yea we are ate up with the hateful things in one night it can look like a D-9 cat went across your hay feild. Hogs are smart , we have found a way to make them avoid your place. First get a 12 volt battery 12 volt light bulbs painted red with a marks a lot and reistat. Bait an area as the hogs come in turn up the reistat they wont be spooked by the red lite. Now comes the fun part set up a triangular crossfire from an elevated position 12 ga with no 4,s is good. That herd of hogs will avoid your place like the plauge. You don,t want to kill them you want to hurt them and make it stick. This usally gives us relief for about 6 mo to a year until a new batch moves in.

I guess this is where I have to strongly disagree with you. I understand and agree that it is necessary at times to trap or kill the hogs to protect your property but to use shotguns to randomly shoot at hogs with the primary intent to "maim" is wrong.

Latest posts