Wild hogs on lease

Help Support CattleToday:

HOSS

Reaction score
Well we found wild hogs on our 11,000 lease. We set up trail cams for deer and over 60 different hogs showed up in pictures within a weeks time on one trail camera. Nobody has seen them in the daylight. Even the logging crew that has been working tracts of that land for the last 5 years. According to the TWRA there are no known populations of hogs in this county. Since there are only 10 of us hunting this lease we will never make a dent by shooting them while deer hunting. The country is VERY rough with deep hollows, mountains and rocky bluffs. It is also very thick with mixtures of clear cuts (grown over), select cut areas and virgin standing timber. Any ideas on how we can start population control now? We are afraid that we will see massive erosion from rooting with the steep mountainsides and clear cut timber. Baiting in Tennessee is illegal. Hog season is open year-round with no limit.

HOSS you figure it out you let us ALL know what works. I've heard of about everything but shooting, trapping or anything else you come up with doesn't seem to put a dent in the population. They breed like rats.They're taking over the state of Texas.

TexasBred":1kd0fcrf said:
HOSS you figure it out you let us ALL know what works. I've heard of about everything but shooting, trapping or anything else you come up with doesn't seem to put a dent in the population. They breed like rats.They're taking over the state of Texas.

This is a very true statement. I just don't believe there is any such a thing as hog control.

Cal

Only got them here a couple of year ago and the population has already exploded. Tearing up everything. Is there anything you can do to deter them from the crops at least?

Brute 23":n9l57f2t said:
It takes a joined effort to even think about slowing them down. Traps, rifle hunt, dogs, helicopter... I don't mean finding jo-blow off the street, invest in people who know what they are doing and you can trust.

I agree with this,since we've got angus calves running about and most the ferrel hogs are black,you really need to have an experienced hunter.
Have had several people to ask to hunt on the place but would not let them.

Cal

HOSS":2oisr4o0 said:
Baiting in Tennessee is illegal.

I think that baiting them is illegal everywhere, so you need to rule that out.

It would be a shame however, if one of your pieces of equipment developed an oil leak and leaked about 5 gallons of burnt motor oil onto the ground. I've "heard" that hogs will come from miles to wallow in the oil. Seems that it kills the lice, mites, and such that gets on them. They will wallow in that oil, and then scratch on whatever is nearby. And for some reason, they will keep coming back to that spot as long as oil is there.

So the moral of the story is... don't let any of your equipment leak oil. It's a hog magnet, just as baiting is.

HOSS":1fbop73d said:
Well we found wild hogs on our 11,000 lease. We set up trail cams for deer and over 60 different hogs showed up in pictures within a weeks time on one trail camera. Nobody has seen them in the daylight. Even the logging crew that has been working tracts of that land for the last 5 years. According to the TWRA there are no known populations of hogs in this county. Since there are only 10 of us hunting this lease we will never make a dent by shooting them while deer hunting. The country is VERY rough with deep hollows, mountains and rocky bluffs. It is also very thick with mixtures of clear cuts (grown over), select cut areas and virgin standing timber. Any ideas on how we can start population control now? We are afraid that we will see massive erosion from rooting with the steep mountainsides and clear cut timber. Baiting in Tennessee is illegal. Hog season is open year-round with no limit.

Since you can't change it, might as well make money on them and try to limit hog populations. There are many New Yorkers (don't ask me how I know this) that would love to pay you several thousand dollars per person to hunt these hogs. Many are traveling to Texas. Tennessee would be much closer for them. They could even drive down through the Cumberland pass in one day to get to Knoxville. Generally, their income is very high but their quality of living is very low. If they are retired, most are on pensions. This means a couple of grand for them to pay is different that if I paid you a couple of grand. Anyway, you would need to establish liability insurance, a place for them to sleep, and advertise in major NYC publications.

HerefordSire":12rc8b86 said:
HOSS":12rc8b86 said:

Since you can't change it, might as well make money on them and try to limit hog populations. There are many New Yorkers (don't ask me how I know this) that would love to pay you several thousand dollars per person to hunt these hogs. Many are traveling to Texas. Tennessee would be much closer for them. They could even drive down through the Cumberland pass in one day to get to Knoxville. Generally, their income is very high but their quality of living is very low. If they are retired, most are on pensions. This means a couple of grand for them to pay is different that if I paid you a couple of grand. Anyway, you would need to establish liability insurance, a place for them to sleep, and advertise in major NYC publications.

HS, their just ain't a delicate way of putting it. I'd druther have the hogs. ;-)

1982vett":25dyebzu said:
HerefordSire":25dyebzu said:
HOSS":25dyebzu said:

HS, their just ain't a delicate way of putting it. I'd druther have the hogs. ;-)

Yes, I understand. But, they can only reproduce about 10 times per year. The hogs can reproduce 1,000 times per year. (Just guessing) Let's see which one you like less in about 10 years.

Have you ever hit one with your car or truck?? Like running over a big anvil. Folks hunt them everywhere down here. You don't have to bait them...just feed your deer...they'll find the feeder. I don't think the Game Warden's would care anyway. I know of a couple of things I've "heard" would kill them but have never tried it.

1982vett":1hzqy7ua said:
HerefordSire":1hzqy7ua said:
HOSS":1hzqy7ua said:

He**---There can't be too many up there--- Most have moved to the beach over here !!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

1982vett":coznr9ib said:
talldog":coznr9ib said:
He**---There can't be too many up there--- Most have moved to the beach over here !!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
Will they leave after Labor Day?
He** NO---They're moving down here so they can infiltrate there liberal ways and voting! Actually, most tourist leave after Labor Day but---They're missing the 2 best months at the Coast !!! :banana:

Brute 23":36od8ab1 said:
It IS LEGAL to bait them here in Texas. We can also hunt them at night and there is no bag limit or season.
same here in Missouri
A buddy of mine works for the dept of conservation and I asked him about our hog population a few yrs ago he said officially Mo had no hogs about 6 months later he tells me that the official report was that we had hogs and we would never get rid of them must of really moved in, in a hurry

a couple of guys got busted here for selling hog hunts they were trapping the hogs and then selling hunts when they heard the hunters coming they were turning the hogs loose and let them shoot at it
what they got in trouble for was releasing the hogs and for charging people to hunt on gov't land without a permit

I was in Reynolds county Mo. in july for a family reunion and while trail riding seen some wild hogs.
Benn seing traces of them the last 4yrs but the first time I actually saw any.

Cal

People use big hog traps here in Texas. They are built to catch a whole bunch at one time. All the traps I've seen like this use a one way swinging gate of some type. They really put a hurt on the population according to my neighbor. He was having trouble at one of his leases on the river. I havn't seen any hogs on my place yet.

Walt