Wild Day

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
Yesterday turned into a pretty wild day. It started out being a normal and typical Sunday morning. Before it got too hot, we decided to move some irrigation pipe out of the field. We got one run done, and was finishing the second run when I saw a person walking along the edge of my field. Our place is a big rectangular block going south to north. We were about in the middle with this guy along the southern edge. Since it was Sunday, it was odd that he was there. However, we have a large farmer that hires Mexican workers, so I thought it might be one of those just walking to check something. Or it could have possibly been the irrigation guy looking for something, but checking to see if his truck was there proved that it wasn't. In the corner there are some trees, and when he reached those he stopped and hung out for a minute. Then he moved along the tree line a little further, and then disappeared. At this point, this is getting pretty strange and I decided to call the sheriff's office. On the phone I got quite the questioning from the dispatcher "What's he look like?" "Is he white, black, Hispanic?" "What's he wearing?" On and on I went. About three minutes later two sheriffs showed up and I pointed out where the guy was. The sheriff said "Thanks for calling, we've been looking for him" and then headed off. From the house, I watched them walk across the field and then this guy comes flying out of the woods and goes across a big open field full of seedling corn (super smart, I know). They ended up catching the guy after about a mile run through this field. The sheriff said that this guy had had a high speed chase earlier in the day, ditched his car, crossed the interstate and was completely lost to them. Had we not seen him they would have never found him. What really bothers me is that he had hunkered down in the woods, and had I not seen him how long would he have been there? What was his plan after hanging out there? Creeped me out pretty good.

OwnedByTheCow":1u2al6uw said:
Pretty crazy. I wonder what he was running for.

Apparently this guy had been involved in a high speed chase and was trying to elude the police b/c of that.

and people ask me why I go heeled.....

it is because I am to danged old to fight any more.

and snakes...we have a lot of copperheads.

also keeps the missionaries away.

and a neighbor lost a 600 lb calf last week to a cat...

Bestoutwest":w7tds8mr said:
OwnedByTheCow":w7tds8mr said:
Pretty crazy. I wonder what he was running for.

Apparently this guy had been involved in a high speed chase and was trying to elude the police b/c of that.

You don't run from the police for fun though. I'm sure something lead to the high speed chase. Unless it was an epic game of cops and robbers. That would be pretty cool.

True Grit Farms":ohl3655a said:
I can't imagine seeing someone on my property and not going back there to talk to them ASAP.

Well, I don't have any handguns, so he would have seen me coming armed, and honestly, I wouldn't have felt comfortable confronting a guy that hunkers down in the trees without something. Also, from his vantage point, I was at a massive disadvantage. I was out in the open, in the middle of the field and he was concealed. I did not know if he had any weapons or what. I figured that he was far enough away from the house and I had the advantage there. It was a judgment call, and one I'm glad I made. The cops are trained, and paid, to deal with this type of thing, and I OK with that.

Bestoutwest":2qdceuip said:
True Grit Farms":2qdceuip said:
I can't imagine seeing someone on my property and not going back there to talk to them ASAP.

Well, I don't have any handguns, so he would have seen me coming armed, and honestly, I wouldn't have felt comfortable confronting a guy that hunkers down in the trees without something. Also, from his vantage point, I was at a massive disadvantage. I was out in the open, in the middle of the field and he was concealed. I did not know if he had any weapons or what. I figured that he was far enough away from the house and I had the advantage there. It was a judgment call, and one I'm glad I made. The cops are trained, and paid, to deal with this type of thing, and I OK with that.

Nothing wrong at all with how you handled the situation. I'm just not wired that way, sometimes I wish I was.

Latest posts