Wild Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
With the cattle market as good as it is more people that dont know how to handle cattle are buying cows. While thats all fine I am getting more calls to catch them.I have been doing it just to help some people out in the past. But by the time i figure in fuel. ropes. and lame horses it costs me money so i am wondering if anybody knows what a fair price would be to catch cows for people. Thanks :cowboy:

The guys I use charge $250 per day per man if some one just calls them up. They are real easy going and I don't give them and crap so they usually work deals with me. An ice chest full of drinks or lunch for them goes a long way. I have never walked away feeling like I was taken. ;-)

I charge $200 for the first, and 100 for subsequent cattle. If a calf is easy, and many times thier the worst 50. If somebody just wants one caught its 250.

Bigfoot":3ixg3ght said:
I charge $200 for the first, and 100 for subsequent cattle. If a calf is easy, and many times thier the worst 50. If somebody just wants one caught its 250.
Um...Mr. Foot sir, could you post a picture of yourself. All the ones I have seen are blurry. Thanks

Bigfoot":dygmkuae said:
That sounds fair thanks. :cowboy:

i know guys that charge $100 a hd to rope cattle.an i know guys that charge $150 a hd to throw the rope.the best thing i can tell you is to meet an talk to the guys your gonna get to rope cattle for you.an that will tell you alot about how they do their job.

Isomade":8bm2efy1 said:
Bigfoot":8bm2efy1 said:
Um...Mr. Foot sir, could you post a picture of yourself. All the ones I have seen are blurry. Thanks

That's hilarious-----------Let's put it this way, even when I'm wearing a ski mask people still recognize me.

Bigfoot":25mxb368 said:
Isomade":25mxb368 said:
Bigfoot":25mxb368 said:

That's hilarious-----------Let's put it this way, even when I'm wearing a ski mask people still recognize me.
My apologies, I had a bit to much bud light and watched Mitch Hedberg last night. :lol:

I believe most guys around here charge $150-$200 a day. Seems fair to me with their own horses and dogs. I'm not sure about the per cow rate. I did watch 6 guys on horses 3 guys in a Toyota and 1 guy on a 4-wheeler try to catch a jackass one day tho. That's probably the most expensive catch I've ever seen lol. It was hilarious

This is interesting. We don't have cow-catchers here. To be honest, I rarely see cows out, and when they do get out, they usually hang around close, so they are easy to get back. Very interesting! I've learned something new. :D

herofan":1mf78toj said:
This is interesting. We don't have cow-catchers here. To be honest, I rarely see cows out, and when they do get out, they usually hang around close, so they are easy to get back. Very interesting! I've learned something new. :D

Most of these cattle are being roped on the property where they belong. These cattle will not go into working pens.

You will usually kink a $40 rope and burn $50 in gas on a wild cow catch. That is not to mention the time lost. You have to charge a lot to make a little. I have actually shyed away from it. People act like you are robbing them at what I charge. Perhaps some day Good Will or UNICEF will start catching wild cows, untill then were the guys to call.

Brute 23":1gk4zl4d said:
herofan":1gk4zl4d said:

Most of these cattle are being roped on the property where they belong. These cattle will not go into working pens.
Im afraid its not that easy lots of woods and swamp up here the cattle i get called to catch are loose. the sherif even calls when there are cows on the roads.can take all day just to find a cow. getting easyer now i trained a coon hound a guy gave me to track cows. :cowboy:

bigrob":69hh13bb said:
I believe most guys around here charge $150-$200 a day. Seems fair to me with their own horses and dogs. I'm not sure about the per cow rate. I did watch 6 guys on horses 3 guys in a Toyota and 1 guy on a 4-wheeler try to catch a jackass one day tho. That's probably the most expensive catch I've ever seen lol. It was hilarious
It's been a long time since I spent time with people that spent time chasing cattle around horseback for a living . . . . but I can't imagine doing it for $150-200/day per man with anything but flat land, quiet cattle, and corrals easy to get to with little rope work. Those can be 10-hour days and usually take more than one horse because that's a way-long day for one horse constantly on the move, and the day for that horse gets shorter, if you're roping also. Plus their time and costs to haul in and possibly doctor the rider and horse(s) at the end of the day. Can't speak to the dogs, because they weren't used much when I rode on those deals.

Caught a 7 year old char bull for a guy this afternoon. It was equally as bad as the worst I ever put a rope on. Charged him $250. One rope pretty well shot, $30 in gas gone. Took about three hours start to finish. Sitting in my tack room now waiting for horses to finish eating, to turn out. Whole afternoon was waisted. He seemed very please to see it gone.

Bigfoot":jbasbevj said:
Caught a 7 year old char bull for a guy this afternoon. It was equally as bad as the worst I ever put a rope on. Charged him $250. One rope pretty well shot, $30 in gas gone. Took about three hours start to finish. Sitting in my tack room now waiting for horses to finish eating, to turn out. Whole afternoon was waisted. He seemed very please to see it gone.
And I'll bet you were glad to see him gone, too! :) Do you think you even broke even, in time, aggravation, wear & tear, fuel, etc.?

At my age I would call it a break even. In my early days I would have hoped for another call tomorrow. He was a real nice guy, he had been wanting it gone for 5 years. He said it throwed alot of crazy calves. My three children came. Two seven year olds, and a five. It was exciting to them.

Latest posts