Wild boy coming around

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
I sort of reluctantly took in a horse that I will compare to a mustang as far as being wild. A doctor in a nieghboring town had horses, mostly gaited. Anyway, after his death they were just allowed to run loose on pasture. Stallion, mares, breeding and just being horses. No hands on any of the youngsters who now are 3 and 4 years old. When the wife finally decided to get something done, they ran all into a catch pen, roped and choked the colts down and gelded them. The man that brought me the one I'll call "wild boy" turned him loose in my round pen. It took a week or so to get him coming around and eating from my hand and I finally got a halter on him. I did basic round pen stuff with a lot of rearend disengageing. Long story short after 6 weeks last night was the first night I have actually sat on his back. I've had him wearing a saddle and long lineing but I feel great about how far he's come and know he's in a much better world without the fear of human's he had when he came. It's amazing to me how accepting horses are and firmly believe GOD intended for man to ride them. I just wanted to share my excitement. I start a lot of horses but this is one I really take pride in.

It sounds like a great experince and you guys are well on your way to being bonded. I have to agree that God created horses and dogs to be mans (humans) companions. Good luck and stay safe.

Alan

keep us all up on your progress....i am taking my big honkin donkey to a cameron clinic on Oct 20....at least i do not have the start wild problem you have had to face !! congradulations !!

It rained so much over the weekend I didn't get to do much with him, (no complaint on the rain though). I'll start back with him this afternoon. Before actually mounting and moving him off I plan to go through all the basics again, long lineing etc. and maybe even put something with some weight in the saddle. First rides on ones like this really make you glad to be a Christian! I'll keep yall posted.

It's easier to get a horse to believe he can trust you,than to try to get a spoiled brat to respect you...good luck..you've don a good thing :)

1st ride yesterday. When I say ride what I mean is I was on his back and simply walking in a circle and stopping. Up and down, circling (not even the entire round pen) stopping and getting down. Lots of repitition. The good thing is there were no wrecks, he didn't get excited and it was all in all a great experience for him. No bad memeories. I tell clients that if they want a rodeoer it ain't me. I feel this way is far more benificial to all concerned. Today we'll go a little farther.

Nice and easy,leave him on a good note..Don't let him stop and you get down..everything is your idea..

Well he's quite a laid back fella, at least for now. I've been riding him outside the barn and took him for a short ride out in the back pasture. He is really, really laid back and that's good. I can put the fire back in him when he's ready. It amazes me how some horses undergo such a change. I've been working on him now for going on 7 weeks and he's ahead of some who had a much better childhood than he did.

rc":sz7f8c0i said:
I sort of reluctantly took in a horse that I will compare to a mustang as far as being wild. A doctor in a nieghboring town had horses, mostly gaited. Anyway, after his death they were just allowed to run loose on pasture. Stallion, mares, breeding and just being horses. No hands on any of the youngsters who now are 3 and 4 years old. When the wife finally decided to get something done, they ran all into a catch pen, roped and choked the colts down and gelded them. The man that brought me the one I'll call "wild boy" turned him loose in my round pen. It took a week or so to get him coming around and eating from my hand and I finally got a halter on him. I did basic round pen stuff with a lot of rearend disengageing. Long story short after 6 weeks last night was the first night I have actually sat on his back. I've had him wearing a saddle and long lineing but I feel great about how far he's come and know he's in a much better world without the fear of human's he had when he came. It's amazing to me how accepting horses are and firmly believe GOD intended for man to ride them. I just wanted to share my excitement. I start a lot of horses but this is one I really take pride in.

That is really good to have made all that progress in 6 weeks. Some of those horses because of all the roping and chasing almost never come around and are just too dangerous to mess with because it just takes once to get thrown good and be injured for life. Now make sure since you are getting on his back that he is not only just tamed, but trained to respond to you while you are up there. Good luck.

Ray

Thanks Hayray. I think the main reason he has come around is from the patience and groundwork I have applied. I'm a firm believer in getting all accomplished you can before you get in the saddle. I tell clients I ride for from the get go that if they expect me to cowboy a horse to get the buck out to find someone else. He's probably still going to have some kinks in him but from all the flexing I have done from the ground his neck is pretty limber and hopefully I can pull him around if something starts. Anyway it's starting to get to the fun part now.

Sounds like you done good. He'll make you a goodun.

I've started a couple of BLM mustangs and the hardest part was the trust issue.Z

i agree with milliron on this one....if they trust you they do not want to hurt you....always a positive....have fun !!

Latest posts