Wild afternoon on the church grounds.

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
Wife and I have been overseeing a mission church plant in the mountains that our local church started 20 some years ago. A group from North Carolina is coming to do some work in and around the church, and today we went up and took supplies. I was spraying poison ivy around the porch decks and perimeter of the property, and all was going well, and about to get done when it all went downhill. My wife and the 2 kids that are staying with us came out of the church from measuring and comparing paint colors. She suggested that I spray around a big tree that also has honey suckle bushes grown up around it, that is close to the play ground and picnic shelter. The tree is on a hill right next to a little county road, and when I got around to the road side, I thought there was a limb down. Turns out on closer inspection it was a pretty big snake, long but not real big around. It was laying straight, out mostly in the road and part of it looked flattened I figured it had been run over. I REALLY hate snakes, so I was trying to decide whether to quit spraying or go long out around it. Not giving any thought that it wasn't dead I step forward to go around, when it raised it's head and looks around, I instinctively say Oh $h-t, and I hear the kids saying did he just cuss, as the snake turns back into the bushes. A little later one of the kids blurts out that I cussed to one of the church attendees, we all had a laugh but still it bothers me. Back at home while eating supper, my wife laughs at me for saying that I am going to get a hoe to have at church for just such an emergency. Took me a while to understand why she laughed, she is younger than I am, it has always been and will always be a garden tool and not a derogatory term to me.

I guess y'all ain't one of those snake handling churches are ya? Sometimes stuff happens that takes you back to before you went to church. I reckon the good Lord will forgive you.

That sounds like somethin that I would do. :lol: About stepping on a snake will usually cause me to slip one too. Seems like any time I slip one, my two year old son happens to be around and I have to change the subject real quick before he starts repeating it. Went out the front door one night and about stepped on this guy, and it was one of those occasions.

i was in my shop one day and a nice 3' long snake comes in.. goes right to the ATV.. lifts its head up.. goes right on up into it. right underneath the seat and curls all up to nap.

Im thinking.. looks like your pretty used to this!! I've been riding my quad around with a snake under my a$$..

good thing it wasn't poisonous. I'd freak out if a rattler was under me.

Craig Miller":11yoewcc said:
I guess y'all ain't one of those snake handling churches are ya? Sometimes stuff happens that takes you back to before you went to church. I reckon the good Lord will forgive you.

No, we ain't a snake handlin' church, now if I could just convince a few of the local youth that :lol2: . Back in the spring, we had taken a trip and within a few minutes of arriving at church, a young fellow goes up the road and comes back carrying about a 3 foot orange and white snake towards us. I didn't have my snake eradication device ( hoe ) that day either I promptly said this ain't a snake church and went indoors until he got rid of that vile critter.

Ky hills":3f5um672 said:
Craig Miller":3f5um672 said:

No, we ain't a snake handlin' church, now if I could just convince a few of the local youth that :lol2: . Back in the spring, we had taken a trip and within a few minutes of arriving at church, a young fellow goes up the road and comes back carrying about a 3 foot orange and white snake towards us. I didn't have my snake eradication device ( hoe ) that day either I promptly said this ain't a snake church and went indoors until he got rid of that vile critter.

KY Hills are you a woman ???

Ky hills":bziyk0th said:
Wife and I have been overseeing a mission church plant in the mountains that our local church started 20 some years ago. A group from North Carolina is coming to do some work in and around the church, and today we went up and took supplies. I was spraying poison ivy around the porch decks and perimeter of the property, and all was going well, and about to get done when it all went downhill. My wife and the 2 kids that are staying with us came out of the church from measuring and comparing paint colors. She suggested that I spray around a big tree that also has honey suckle bushes grown up around it, that is close to the play ground and picnic shelter. The tree is on a hill right next to a little county road, and when I got around to the road side, I thought there was a limb down. Turns out on closer inspection it was a pretty big snake, long but not real big around. It was laying straight, out mostly in the road and part of it looked flattened I figured it had been run over. I REALLY hate snakes, so I was trying to decide whether to quit spraying or go long out around it. Not giving any thought that it wasn't dead I step forward to go around, when it raised it's head and looks around, I instinctively say Oh $h-t, and I hear the kids saying did he just cuss, as the snake turns back into the bushes. A little later one of the kids blurts out that I cussed to one of the church attendees, we all had a laugh but still it bothers me. Back at home while eating supper, my wife laughs at me for saying that I am going to get a hoe to have at church for just such an emergency. Took me a while to understand why she laughed, she is younger than I am, it has always been and will always be a garden tool and not a derogatory term to me.

Funny ... " Did he just cuss ?

skyhightree1":ud3h5l6b said:
Ky hills":ud3h5l6b said:

That's what I said when me and the preacher and another guy went to move a coke machine one time. When we tipped it over and the weight hit us the preached slipped a word. The only thing I was thinking was brother you ain't the one holding the hand trucks

Craig Miller":2tqvg7xn said:
skyhightree1":2tqvg7xn said:

That's what I said when me and the preacher and another guy went to move a coke machine one time. When we tipped it over and the weight hit us the preached slipped a word. The only thing I was thinking was brother you ain't the one holding the hand trucks

:lol: hey preachers are human too... However it doesn't require a coke machine for me to say it :oops: Seems to come our quite a bit when fooling with cattle and or employees.

Craig Miller":1yfs8lk2 said:

My dad has always said that if you want to hear the dirtiest jokes ask a preacher. Part of the reason I'm not a church going type of guy is that it's hard to find a preacher that is just a human and not some holier-than-thou type.

A.J.":kohjqq8q said:
. Went out the front door one night and about stepped on this guy, and it was one of those occasions.
I did the same thing one dark night on the back porch, except I first set my hand down on him on the hand rail, and felt him fall down on my socked foot. A big black rat snake. Fred and Ginger would have been impressed with my suddenly acquired mad dance skills trying to keep my feet in the air and get the back door opened back up to get back inside. Dancin with the stars had nothin on me.

skyhightree1":3k4hbt16 said:
Craig Miller":3k4hbt16 said:
skyhightree1":3k4hbt16 said:

:lol: hey preachers are human too... However it doesn't require a coke machine for me to say it :oops: Seems to come our quite a bit when fooling with cattle and or employees.

Yes they are. Hey there ain't nothing in the world make you wanna cuss more than those two things

I've reached into a chicken nest to get eggs without looking and grabbed a snake instead of an egg. Took one step back and I was 8' away. You wouldn't think that was possible for a man that's just over 6' tall, but I did it.

Txpiney":yqmj6xd3 said:

Got this little jewel crawling across the walk way in front of the porch 2 days ago.

That is a pretty corral looks pretty big too. How long was it? Those are my favorite snake native to North America.

Latest posts