wife wants to get the dog an electric blanket......:(

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
Our 2 dogs are 'rough' dogs..meaning they aren't little prim and proper yapper's you would see in walmart sittin on a fat womans boosum raisin heck at everyone that walks by. They're outside dogs and sleep on our porch on blankets year round. Got a covered dog pen and doghouses but they won't stay in them no matter the weather, they have the run of the place all day and are locked on the porch at night. Winter's going to be here for real next week and wife is wanting to get an electric blanket for them to lay on. I don't like the idea--scared of it starting a fire or electrocuting a dog if they find the wires and chew on them. I just don't think they get that cold in their fur coats...We don't let them in the house unless it is really going to get in single digits and wet & windy but I want them on the porch as guard and alarm anyway....

Elec blanket--Bad idea or good idea?

You probably won't be able to get them off them. The better ones usually run on lower voltage through an isolating transformer. I would think our temps here would be similar to yours TB, many mornings below 0 C. Mine are also locked on the verandah and I provide them with any old woollen jumpers I can lay my hands on and they arrange them to their liking and I think they do OK. Great product wool Australia used to ride on the sheeps back especially during the Korean war when we sold a lot of wool to the US to keep your troops warm.

Ken

I don't believe I would. I would be worried about a fire or a dead dog. Will they not lay on a dog bed, or something like wbvs mentioned? If not, piss on em. If it gets cold enough they will get in a deep bedded house I promise you.

41zbsKhHgkL.jpg

My blood hound loved this. It activates when she laid on it, and has a metal cord covering. She was a smart dog and would let me know with the classic howl when she was cold around zero degrees. She never fussed after I got this.

Includes FREE Fleece Cover and has a 5½ feet steel wrapped cord
For outdoor use and uses only 80 watts
Thermostatically controlled to warm to your pet's normal body temperature when your pet lies on the pad
Ideal for sheds, garages, barns, or any sheltered area your outdoor pets hang out
MET Safety Listed and 1 year manufacturer's warranty

https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Le ... ic+dog+bed

HDRider":od7b58rm said:
41zbsKhHgkL.jpg

My blood hound loved this. It activates when she laid on it, and has a metal cord covering. She was a smart dog and would let me know with the classic howl when she was cold around zero degrees. She never fussed after I got this.

Includes FREE Fleece Cover and has a 5½ feet steel wrapped cord
For outdoor use and uses only 80 watts
Thermostatically controlled to warm to your pet's normal body temperature when your pet lies on the pad
Ideal for sheds, garages, barns, or any sheltered area your outdoor pets hang out
MET Safety Listed and 1 year manufacturer's warranty

https://www.amazon.com/Manufacturing-Le ... ic+dog+bed
That is pretty darn slick. Might think about getting one for the shop floor so that my feet won;t freeze when I'm standing at the work bench.

Our dogs have always survived with nothing. Maybe on old blanket if I'm feeling generous. They'll be fine. Snip snip

TexasBred":111y2ppn said:
jedstivers":111y2ppn said:
I have heat lamps for mine. Works fine.
That's what we've always used. Put the bed in the shop with a heat lamp overhead. They do well with it.
Heat lamps scare me a little. My neighbor burned down a great old barn using one.

greybeard":3j9edqni said:
Our 2 dogs are 'rough' dogs...They're outside dogs and sleep on our porch on blankets year round.
Winter's going to be here for real next week and wife is wanting to get an electric blanket for them to lay on.
I don't like the idea--- I just don't think they get that cold in their fur coats.
We don't let them in the house unless it's wet & windy, but I want them on the porch as guard and alarm anyway....

Electric blanket--- Bad idea or good idea?
Sounds as though your wife is a very kind hearted woman with good and loving intentions.
But you are right, their fur coats give them more than enough protection as long as their fur remains dry.
Dry, out of the wind and good nutrition is much more important than artificial heat.
Feed them a few more calories (if needed) allowing her to spoil them in that manner should fulfill her need to express
her natural caring nature and hopefully she, you and the pooches will all remain happy and healthy for many more winters to come.

My Vote--- Electric Blanket--- Bad Idea

Well, I've never actually owned an electric blanket so I don't know anything about 'em, but from what I have read (where's City Guy?) you aren't supposed to lay ON one, because it may cause a hot spot to develop and burn 1/2 the world down--you're only supposed to cover up with them, so that is out.

They can't be too dang cold--they been out all day today running the woods and property in a stiff N wind and steady drizzle.

No fenceman--the cows come with a hairy leather coat.
[greybeard reaches down and scratches his balls]

greybeard":2cghyl91 said:
Well, I've never actually owned an electric blanket so I don't know anything about 'em, but from what I have read (where's City Guy?) you aren't supposed to lay ON one, because it may cause a hot spot to develop and burn 1/2 the world down--you're only supposed to cover up with them, so that is out.

They can't be too dang cold--they been out all day today running the woods and property in a stiff N wind and steady drizzle.

No fenceman--the cows come with a hairy leather coat.
[greybeard reaches down and scratches his balls]

Soliloquy, I remember that being used in English class. Also the word ottamattapea (Sp?). Don't remember what it was, just thought the word sounded good.

[Bigfoot googles correct spelling, and definition of ottamattpea].

Latest posts