Wife and I went to a Mexican bull ridin today and tonight

Help Support CattleToday:

greybeard

Reaction score
It was different for sure. The arena is round, about 250' across. Bucking chute and only bulls, and they do it different than American bull riding. The second the rider's butt touches the bulls back, the gate opens--sometimes, a split second before he gets down on the bull. Objective is to ride the bull to a standstill, one hand, two handed or no hands. Once the ride is over, the roping begins. about 6 ropers, with what looked like 75' long ropes take turns trying to rope the bull, evidently, the rule is, they can't rope from behind the bull--only from in front as they ride by him. Once he's head roped, the heeler ropes, and they stretch him out, and guys on foot run in, and tie his hoofs.
Between rides, the arena is full of dancin horses--the announcer talking the whole time. I didn't understand a word that was said, but we had a good time.

Nice arena too--brand new, roofed grandstands, and the cerveza was flowing. About every 4th upright on the arena fence had a beer holder welded to it. Nothin unusual to see the ropers and other riders with a Bud Light out in the arena. No booze sold there, but for $5 extra, you could bring your own cooler full in--and most did.

The place is about a mile form my house and I never knew it was there till I saw a flyer at a nearby store and asked someone what it said. It started at 3pm, and we left around 9:30 when the rain started--I didn't want to get stuck in the dirt parking lot--the band was about to start for the dance. Probably had 600 in attendance, not a word was said over the microphone in English and I'm pretty sure wife and I were the only non-Hispanics there. We had a good time tho my wife was disappointed we didn't win the door prize off our gate ticket stub--a bottle of 1800 Jose Cuervo.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Plaza-De ... 6740246627