Wierd Wierd Winter

Help Support CattleToday:

it of a weird Summer here in Australia. We had a low of 8c here this morning at 6am up to 23c by 9am and probably will get to 29c later on.We had a top of 29c yesterday. No storms yesterday or today but they'll be back from tomorrow onwards. Been some nasty hail ridden ones about in other districts but not here thankfully.
Colin

Well at least we should have some moisture to get the grass going in the spring-but I hope we don't continue on track to beat the record snowfall we had in 2003-2004 :roll:
I think we ended up with 80-90 inches that year all blowed into 10-30 foot high/deep drifts and we had to get the neighbor to come in with his D-9 Cat and move it just so we could find the hay stacks....

.CLIMATE...
24.8 INCHES OF SNOW FOR DECEMBER IN GLASGOW BROKE THE RECORD
SNOWFALL FOR THE MONTH.
THE PREVIOUS RECORD WAS 18.8 INCHES IN DEC
2003. FOR THE SEASON...GLASGOW IS ON A RECORD SNOWFALL PACE WITH
38.5 INCHES SO FAR.
THIS IS AHEAD OF THE PREVIOUS RECORD THRU DEC
31ST OF 28.7 INCHES IN 2003-04. DEC 2008 WAS THE 6TH SNOWIEST
MONTH EVER. JAN 2004 HOLD THE RECORD FOR SNOWIEST MONTH EVER IN
GLASGOW...A TOTAL OF 32.9 INCHES. THE 15.57 INCHES TOTAL PRECIP
FOR 2008...ENDED UP BEING THE 8TH WETTEST ON RECORD.
MORE DETAILS
WILL FOLLOW ON THE CXUS55 KGGW OR GTFCLMGGW LATER TONIGHT.

Weather boys are predicting another 1-4 inches tonight and tomorrow....And more WIND- and 30 Below chill factors... :(
I'm sure glad I got rid of all those old cows 12 and over last month- if this weather hangs in much longer its going to really start showing on the cows- and its always rougher on them old gals....

Already been here and is mostly gone, except for that stinking wind. What snow we got has been blown away by the wind.

I luv herfrds":8y5l5yxl said:
Already been here and is mostly gone, except for that stinking wind. What snow we got has been blown away by the wind.

Wind blew all night-but the snow didn't start til about 9AM while I was feeding...Coming down pretty good now with that darn 20-25 mph East wind...And now the weather boys are predicting we could get another 6 inches :roll:

And on top of that- they're saying the Canucks didn't close the door- and we could go back into the deep freeze with minus 20 and 30 temps.... :(

ARCTIC AIR CURRENTLY IN ALBERTA WILL PLUNGE SOUTH INTO THE
FORECAST AREA THIS AFTERNOON AND TONIGHT. WITH NORTHWEST WINDS 10
TO 25 MPH EXPECTED TONIGHT...WIND CHILLS WILL REACH ADVISORY
CRITERIA AS TEMPERATURES PLUNGE BELOW ZERO IN MOST AREAS.

Woke up to snow coming from the north and at 8:30am my pager went off upgrading us from Advisary to Severe Warning and emergency travel only.
Wonder if the County Commisioner is going to get another call from that transplanted Californian who was mad because the road crews pulled out of plowing roads last weekend. Wind so bad the roads were plugged 30 minutes after they had them plowed. Guy didn't get the fact that is was too dangerous for the crews to be out. I know someone who's road will be last for everything. :D

About 70 degrees down here today. If I could send some up north, I'd sure do it. Sure feel for you folks up north.

Yep- I just looked and every highway in our area is listed Severe Conditions and Emergency Travel only...Wasn't really planning on going anywhere anyway--I think I'll just stay home and hibernate..

Got another page upgrading us to Blizzard.
No kidding. I think they are behind the weather conditions by about an hour. :D

skyline":314iqnoa said:
About 70 degrees down here today. If I could send some up north, I'd sure do it. Sure feel for you folks up north.

Yep, I'd trade some 74 degrees for some melting snow. Supposed to get to near freezing Sunday night. I imagine it will have all the moisture blown out of it by the time it gets here.

Snow and Blow and near Blizzard conditions all day-- strong East winds----Now the snow has let way up, but the wind is coming out of the NW blowing 30-50 mph- and temp has dropped to 0- and everything is going to be blown in tight tomorrow....

Many highways across the hiline and central Montana are closed (including 2 and 191) - many of the rest are severe conditions-emergency travel only.....Wife just came home and said the county roads are getting pretty tough too.....
Now we can watch the temp drop on its way to a predicted -15 to -20 tonite..... :(

MHP has stated that there are around 100 cars stranded on the roads. Can't remember if it is around the state or just our area.
Got ice climbing up my living room windows right now. Oh it is on the inside, not the outside.

-21 this morning and sun shining...Those northwest winds have dropped from 50 mph to about 15- but still awful nippy out....Picked up 6 inches more snow that is blown everywhere- and the drifts are getting hard as rock....
Looks like a lot of the highways in our area are still closed- or emergency travel only....
This is becoming a long winter.....

Was -18 this morning. We picked up at least 8" of snow. Friend reported that Chester got 14", but the wind hit there.
Don't plan to go anywhere for a few days.
Fed 4 bales this morning. Cows are up by the corral and won't go out to the pasture.

jedstivers":3vuvxnw8 said:
It's 70 and cloudy with 100% humidity but not raining. At lest the wheat is growing so the heifers will have something to eat.
Sunny finally came out. 72 degrees today supposed to get all the way up to freezing for the high tomorrow.

dun":okdloy78 said:
jedstivers":okdloy78 said:
It's 70 and cloudy with 100% humidity but not raining. At lest the wheat is growing so the heifers will have something to eat.
Sunny finally came out. 72 degrees today supposed to get all the way up to freezing for the high tomorrow.
Our low tonight will be 56 & that will be our high tomorrow then a low of 33.

Was -10 at about 5pm. Had to give our front door a shot of alcohol. The latch froze open and the door wouldn't stay shut.

Last night was so fricken cold I was throwing in the towel.. But the tractor started this morn.. :banana: Fed my youngin's ..Went to haul water for the horses and the "camels" but the faucet was frozen solid and even hot water wouldn't thaw it.. :mad: So I hauled twelve 20 litre buckets full of water from my upstairs main bath out to the stock trough..Something really has to be done this spring about that as this is total BS.. :cry2: A cattle waterer is a must up by the house,,, h@ll I would even settle for a hydrant..

Warming up though,only supposed to get down to -30c tonight and then -2c on Monday...I wish we would just stay at one temp so me and the critters could finally get climatized.. :???:

I hear you hillsdown-- this weather and prolonged severe cold sure wears you down.....Physically and mentally... So hard on equipment and animals-Turns everyone into old grumps...
Temp is now -21 on the way to a predicted -25 to -30 below...But luckily no wind tonight....
Weather boys say it may get to 20 Above Monday- but more snow- and then another arctic front.... :eek: :(

Latest posts