wierd foal

Help Support CattleToday:

sweetyp

Reaction score
one of the horses I'm working with has a year old foal, who is now halter broak and can be handled without any trouble. He's a real cuttie and has a realy nice nature. I actuly think he is one of the calmest foals I have ever meet. (though wiether this is due to courage or stupidity I don't know)
I've put him i the lounging ring and he'll walk round it at a distance from me ( I don't know about you guys but i always start like this and it seems to work well) He's very calm and seems to think its all just a big game. the trouble is he's mother. She's the mere that I posted the question about (the one that used to run at me when I'm lounging her) if he hears her making a noise he trys to run out of the ring. they've been away from each other for about 6 mon,ths and it's never caused a problem before. But when I'm working him she seems to realy kick off. She's a very jelouse horse and she sees us go towards the ring. (theres no choice) she doesn't seem to be crying for him but for us (very jelous mere)
Normaly he doesn't even seem to notice that she's not there, but when he's in the ring he goes nuts. any idea how to stop him doing this. he is such a good foal it seems such a shame to have to fight him just to keep him in the ring. it makes it such hard work and I'm afraid he will stop enjoying it.

To be honest the bloody mere is more trouble than she's worth. Though very pretty. :mad:

When I'm working with a new weanling I'll wait to feed the mare most of her morning feed (I give her a little hay while feeding the other horses and no grain) until I go to work with her weanling. Most of the time it works pretty well but as a weanling I'm only working them for about 15 minutes. Your'e problem may just take some time, you may also try putting the mare at the other end of the place as far away from the ring as you can.

Good luck,
Alan

she is as far away as possible but the problem is she either sees us going past to the lounging ring or hears one of the cars. there is no way around this untill the weather gets better as we can't get around the other way (there are two ways in but seeing as we're in the middle of winter here it's not possible to go one of there ways, so we have to go the other which goes by her field)

You might try feeding the yearling in the round pen and leaving him in for a couple of hours with food and water until the mare forgets about it. She does sound like a knuckle head, may be time to send her down the road.

Alan

shes a right pain to be honest but is very pretty. wer thinking about sending her to another trainer we know. its not that we cant handle her ( though its very tireing) its just we think she needs more attention than we give her. and it would give us more time with her coalt who by the way is the best behaved coalt ive ever seen. but shes a bad influence. if she was mine it might have been the dog food factory for her. :lol: but she makes a brillent brood mere. she does it like shes shelling peas.

I'm really ready for a sweet foal. The paint colt that I pictured, who is now a 2 yr old stud, was a real pain, complete jerk most every day. He is much better now, but many days I wanted to kill him. The sorrel gelding, I also pictured was a sweet baby and still is a lover to this day, just like his mom, will do anything for you. I have another paint filly , who's now 5 yrs old, who is a great solid trail horse and has a good mind, but she was a bit of a pain as a baby and still is a "busy" horse on the ground, always into something or wanting something right now, not 2 seconds from now. Aren't they fun! :D

Alan

honestly this foal is brilliant. Ive had him in the ring about 4 times now and hel walk on a lead, and trott. Ive had him on a loung rope twice and i can now loung him. i can only do it for about 10 minuets cause hel get bored but its a great start. hes still hasnt got a brillant rythme like the older ones but his still a baby realy. hes so pretty too.
I love training foals they are so funny and this one has bags of character. hes fab.