Width of allley?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Getting ready to update a corral. What are your suggestions for the width of the alley? Some guys are telling me 30 to 32 incehs. Running cows that are Angus cross, SimmX and others that will be in the 1300 pound range as an average and a Angus bull.

Ours run 29-30 inches. We have a couple of real widebodys that run 1600 lbs and the fit. It's tight and their sides squeeze in some, but they get through them just fine.

dun

If you'll make you alley like a "V" your larger cows fit fine and the calfs want be able to turn around ;-) . Set it at 32 in. at 4 1/2 to 5 feet and 22 to 26 at the base :shock: . We run cattle and bison through ours and it works great for both calves and cows. :cboy:
PS. We have a piped top on our alley even though it's 6 1/2 tall. Bison go crazy when their confined.

Wow- a V shaped chute -that is a great idea! Ours is 30 and we are all the times having calves turn around or the bigger ones trying to turn aroung and getting half way stuck. It is such a pain sometimes.

Hey guys,
We just cut the timber in a section of our woods. So now I have enough lumber to build another barn and the corral system I want. Since I know several of you guys and gals have cameras... If you don't mind, I would really like to see pictures of your corral set-ups. The runs, tubs,and perimiter fencing of the corral. That would be greatly appreciated! Thanks :idea: :cboy:

We used 3 in drill stem pipe. Wood rots and has to be replaced. I know it cost more for pipe but in the long run it's alot cheaper. If you factor time and the increase in timber every ten years you'll agree. For cheap labor go to your local highschool and talk to the Ag teacher. Find out witch kids wield good. Offer them $ 7 Hour or so cash to wield the pipe :lol: . Also use angle iron. Cut three inch strips. This will give you a great weld on both pipe "Round on Round little wield". The ag shop can make a squeeze if you ask nicely. Most ag teachers love :heart: to help farmers and sometimes they will come to your place to work. I know our local school will come out and cut calves. If I knew how to post a image I would show ya'll our design. Real simple, very effective, and easily worked!!! :cboy: [/url]

How deep do you suggest for the alley post? * foot post are the easiest thing to get here and wanted to be able to walk down the alley if need be. Also wanted to tie the post together across the top to prevent spreading , so would 2 feet deep set in concrete be ok?

4A farm":2puf900h said:
How deep do you suggest for the alley post? * foot post are the easiest thing to get here and wanted to be able to walk down the alley if need be. Also wanted to tie the post together across the top to prevent spreading , so would 2 feet deep set in concrete be ok?

It depends on your soil composition. Sandy soil would need at least 3 feet, 4 maybe even better. Stuff like ours we usually have to live with 18 inches.

dun

Latest posts