Wider tires on ih574

Help Support CattleToday:

Lucasbranham

Reaction score
I have an ih574 with loader. It has 7.50x16 tires on front and 14.9x28 tires on rear. It looks like if I flip the wheels around that it will hold wider tires for better flotation.
Has anyone done this with the factory wheels? If so, what size tires fit?

Lucasbranham":1d2i3g93 said:
I have an ih574 with loader. It has 7.50x16 tires on front and 14.9x28 tires on rear. It looks like if I flip the wheels around that it will hold wider tires for better flotation.

Probably been done, but might overstress the spindles/front end/ etc.

I highly doubt it would make a noticeable difference, still going to sink like crazy. Just my :2cents: , I would save my money and effort. The JD I had with larger tires was still helpless as a kitten in the winter on my property.

I have the IH684, which is the same tractor but a little longer.. it has 18" front wheels (x8"), and 14x30 rear.. If I had a 18x30 which would fit just fine it would be a lot more balanced.. Might look into finding 684 or 784 fronts.. I heard it does make a big difference.. I also have a set of 16x10 fronts, but since it's not a loader tractor I don't need them.. they're really beefy tires

Make sure you have a good counter weight on the linkage which will leverage the weight off your front tires and put more weight on your traction tires where you need it when moving loads with your loader.

Ken

True Grit Farms":1ne5htac said:
A 2WD tractor with chains will out pull a 4WD tractor, tire for tire in the mud and snow.

I disagree with that. Tonight I had my 4wd tractor plowing through snow with the headlights in the grill (about 3.5 feet deep) and all four tires spinning away. A 2wd tractor even with chains wouldn't have a chance in the world (I know because I've been there and done that).

wbvs58":1axmg3yx said:
Make sure you have a good counter weight on the linkage which will leverage the weight off your front tires and put more weight on your traction tires where you need it when moving loads with your loader.

Ken
This will help more than minor tire size changes, but still, 2wd with loader is just a pain in my experience. My tractor with no load in bucket and no ballast would get stuck just driving around the fields in winter and spring, and it had wheel weights and a lot of fluid.

Couple of weeks ago, my dad was pulling a load of wood out of the woods with an 8n. The owner of the land said he couldn't believe he didn't get stuck in that muddy mess with that 2wd. The owner then proceeded to drive his 4wd (loader) tractor through there and nearly didn't make it out. No point to that story other than a 2wd when used as designed works pretty good.

Bigfoot":2stqunqv said:
Lucasbranham":2stqunqv said:

Probably been done, but might overstress the spindles/front end/ etc.
These tractors have really stout front ends, the 574 was the smallest (I think) of that series that went up to 75hp.. They're probably about the toughest of any tractor out there

Thanks for all the replies. It's gonna need new tires soon anyway. So I think I will look into what's available from my local tire guy.
It has 1 set of wheel weights and tires are fluid filled.
If I keep my 7 foot 3 point bushhog on the back or carry a round bale on the back it doesn't perform terribly. I'm just hoping for a little bit more since it needs tires anyway.
I've never taken the loader off of it since I bought it.
But I was doing sub soiling and if I let the shank go too deep, it will spin the rear tires and not move. Next time I subsoil I think I'll pull the loader and see how it does.
I may start looking for a used set of chains to see if that helps.

Thanks again.

A two wheel drive will go pretty good with a bale on the back, but you can't steer it for ****, constantly on the brakes, if not in ruts. The times I've found that a fwd assist comes in handy is steering in the slop, and backing up a slope with nothing on the back for weight while doing some bucket work. A down side to the two wheel drive is that it cuts deeper ruts, better have a hard pan, or you are eventually high centered. Then you have problems, and a mess that might be a little worse than with a fwd. I've fed hay in the winter on both 2 and 4wd over the years for Dad and my grandpa. Much prefer the 4wd. His 2wd didn't have a loader so the skinny tires up front were good enough. I can see having quite a problem trying to feed with a front prong with skinny tires, especially with no rear weight.

If you drop a 55 gallon drum off at our local concrete plant, they will fill it with concrete for you. Weld some 3pt pins on some heavy angle iron you already have sticking out the barrel. When it sets up, you have a pretty decent back tractor weight. You won't be able to carry a roll on the back ofcourse, but it will help iliminate some of your issues with a 2wd tractor and a FEL. 3/4 full is actually plenty of weight.

Lucasbranham":25t5v770 said:
Thanks for all the replies. It's gonna need new tires soon anyway. So I think I will look into what's available from my local tire guy.
If I keep my 7 foot 3 point bushhog on the back or carry a round bale on the back it doesn't perform terribly. I'm just hoping for a little bit more since it needs tires anyway.
But I was doing sub soiling and if I let the shank go too deep, it will spin the rear tires and not move. Next time I subsoil I think I'll pull the loader and see how it does.

Thanks again.

The larger the tire the more ballast you can add also. Sub soiling with chains you'll need your loader on so the tractor won't stand up.

Taller tyres and wheels on the front will make a difference by reducing the rolling resistance, and easy to do on a 2wd. Wider tyres will help on the back too.

Traveling in soft ground is about minimum weight and tall wide tyres so as to reduce pressure and load on the ground, and trying to avoid a mess.

Once you have a mess especially with a loader and 2wd you are going to have issues

Before I buy front tires for this diesel 574 I just got. Does anyone have a line on some used 16x8 or 16x10 6 lug front wheels to fit it?

It's a pretty common size.. the ones we have on ours were from an old self propelled swather.. I think its the same bolt pattern as Massey and a bunch of others

Lucasbranham":2bhxqy8q said:

Thanks again.

You might look at adjusting the pitch of your subsoiler with the top link. It should be able to suck those rear tires to the ground like a suction cup.

Lucasbranham":10z3oals said:
Next time I subsoil I think I'll pull the loader and see how it does.

My experiences are just the opposite.

Look at it this way. Why is it stressed that towed loads be connected to the tractor at or below the axle? You're right on. Because the load offers a lifting effect on the front end and the higher the resisting force on the rear (with respect to the tractor height) the more feet in the ft-lbs of torque (resistance) applied to the tractor's movement.

Subsoilers apply a lot of pounds which helps to apply a large lifting (moment) to the tractor frame, making the front end light. Leaving you loader in place helps to offset that, just like the either 9 or 11, 55# (as I recall) weights did for the front of my JD 4230 which had no loader and is the same reason that I not only leave my loader in place when running my Hay King Pasture Renovator, I load up the bucket with gravel on my current plowing tractor (Branson 6530C).

Latest posts