Wide rear stance

Help Support CattleToday:

dcara

Reaction score
I've seen 2 different pics of this 6 yr old Red Angus cow which I'm thinking of purchasing. I have not seen her in person yet and so I don't know how she moves. In both pics I've seen she has this wide rear stance. Does such a stance indicate a potential problem or something I should look at in more detail when I go to look at her?

IMG00148.jpg

No offense but to me, at least, she has problems other than the wide stance. I would be more worried avout how narrow she is up front and her apparent lack of capacity.

I agree with 3way, but the poor angle of the photo doesn't do much justice either, IMO.

That's what we refer to as both legs coming out of the same hole

To answer your original question, a sound wide stance is actually desired, but you want the width running from end to end. A wide stance in the rear with an extremely narrow stance in the front isn't something seen too often, though. From this photo I can't tell whether she even stands wide in the rear, but looking at her front end I doubt it.

I concur with others....

that is not a cow I would invest money in.... based on that picture.

If she mothered a denver Champion ...I would stop going to Denver.....but she might be worth a bit to someone.

After a cow has her first calf and begins a production record it is time to stop looking at her and begin to look at the records.

If she has bounced out three 600 lb or better calves or calves that ratio 105 or better at weaning on an annual basis then tear up the photo and go get the cow.

but I don't see much in terms of an udder in that photo.

pdfangus":1mxwx12j said:
If she has bounced out three 600 lb or better calves or calves that ratio 105 or better at weaning on an annual basis then tear up the photo and go get the cow.
Only as a commercial cow, sure wouldn;t want her in a seedstock operation

dun":2jnbu4ar said:
pdfangus":2jnbu4ar said:

I took that to be a given....

dun":by3ncp2g said:
pdfangus":by3ncp2g said:

With such a bad reverse wedge I doubt there will be much of a production record to look at.