Wich is best for me????

Help Support CattleToday:

Dixieangus

Reaction score
So here it is theres about 15 to 25 acres i am wanting to fence in to put either calves being weaned and then me feeding them out or cows with calves a side or a mixture of both. basically it is about 10 to 15 acres of field the rest woods but there are two fields..I am on a budget of about 300 dollars ( I have no clue on earth on how much i would be to fence it in)I was going to jump from tree to tree so i wouldnt have to buy post the trees are close enough i promise..I was either going to put up bottom wire barb then high tensile barb high tensile then high tensile 5 strands..or i was going to do completely high tensile 5 to 6 strands... i dont have a tractor to mess with barb wire to much but a little barb on a few strands is an option...please tell me what you think or any questions

Not to be a wet blanket, but using trees as posts for barbed isn;t a real good solution in the long run. The tree will make the wire rust where it's stapled and frequently lead to more and more fence repair. If you have ever hit a pice of old fence with a chainsaw you'll pretty well know the other problem.

dun":ke9gmdz4 said:
Not to be a wet blanket, but using trees as posts for barbed isn;t a real good solution in the long run. The tree will make the wire rust where it's stapled and frequently lead to more and more fence repair. If you have ever hit a pice of old fence with a chainsaw you'll pretty well know the other problem.
NO truer words were ever spoken----I tried that once !!! :tiphat:

High tensile is usually the cheapest-- put money into a good charger and ground system
With no tractor and driver- I would lean towards t-posts (use good insulators not the cheap ones)
I have had good luck with the t-post brace system only I use a wood post as the corner post and nail the connector to it-- If not use two t-posts wired together or the corner post will bend in the middle.

I don't think you are going to get it done for $300

There is nothing better than a 40 to 80 ft.Rw and post in the center will last a long time wind and ice never bother it. High tensil wire in trees is just some better than bailer twine.

alright, here's my 2 cents, since your on a budget, I see no alternative to using trees as post, unless youve got a chainsaw and some post oak or cedar trees around that you can cut and use as post, is this going to be a permanent fence, whats outside of the fence, If you keep you grass in good shape a 4 strand barbwire fence will do, I agree with the fellow who said high tensal fence in trees is no good, too many falling limbs, whats going to be your stocking rate?

Rowdy it is going to be a permanent fence and i think 4 strands barb will do...My stocking rate is iffy the most it will ever have probably in small calves is 10 and cow probably 6 or 7( not at the same time....).beyond the fence is our log road and the other is alot of woods but about 50 foot from the end of where the fence would be is a dried up creek bed
]

Dixieangus":1tfumgf4 said:
I was going to jump from tree to tree so i wouldnt have to buy post the trees are close enough i promise..

I wouldn't. I don't mean to rain on your parade, but using trees for fence posts is not a good idea. The trees generally grow around the wire, the wire breaks, and repairs are a nightmare! Do yourself a favor - use fence posts, and be done with it.

Your fence will not stay tight if you use trees as fence posts because of the trees' movement when the wind blows. Plus when the wire grows into the tree, you won't be able to tighten it.

If the trees are on your property line, it would be best to check with your neighbor before using them.

Four strands is not enough. They will push through it, unless it is hot.

I'm sure some of the trees your planning on using are bigger than saplings, so wind IMO will not be a problem, I think some posters arent reading your post when you say your on a budget, In case some people on here dont understand, in North Mississippi we have an abundance of trees, and trees have been used for years and years as fence post/corner post, not to discount any body else's advice, but you need to use what you can afford, repair it, it when it needs repaired, improve it when you can afford to.

Check your local craigslist for fencing supplies (t-posts, corner posts, wire, etc...)

Barb wire will cost less than smooth wire.

All I can say is that $300 does not go very far these days. Good luck.

rowdyred":iv4bm71u said:
I think some posters arent reading your post when you say your on a budget, ...

And I think you are wrong. I doubt that there is anyone on these boards who doesn't understand what being on a budget means - I know that I do. I, and I'm sure this is true for a lot of people as well, also fully understand how cutting corners can lead to an even bigger expense in the long run.

chippie":14m784y5 said:
Check your local craigslist for fencing supplies (t-posts, corner posts, wire, etc...)

Barb wire will cost less than smooth wire.

All I can say is that $300 does not go very far these days. Good luck.

Good barbed wire is not cheaper than good smooth wire. At least not for the wire itself. I doubt the whole fencing system would be any cheaper especially if you consider the aggravation of working with barbed wire.

I tried some Gaucho wire and it was easy to work with, but wasnt strong enough, which has lead to many repairs. I switched to Red Brand which costs $80.00 plus tax per roll, almost double the price. In my opinion the Red Brand is superior wire. I believe that it will serve me well. Time is also money and doing any job twice is a waste of time and money.
Tom.

msscamp":2kj06zaf said:
rowdyred":2kj06zaf said:
I think some posters arent reading your post when you say your on a budget, ...
Ok, I can respect your post, it was not my intent to down any bodies advice, but Dixieangus said he had a 300 dollar budget, I was just trying to give my advice with that in mind. I know personally that we have used trees as corner post/pulling post eversince I can remember building fences and even today if a tree is not a planted pine to be harvested later on and its in the right place I will use it.
Have a great day! :tiphat:

And I think you are wrong. I doubt that there is anyone on these boards who doesn't understand what being on a budget means - I know that I do. I, and I'm sure this is true for a lot of people as well, also fully understand how cutting corners can lead to an even bigger expense in the long run.

I won't buy anything but red brand four barbed barbed wire. And then when I install it, it goes in five wires high, and it gets streteched like crazy. The posts get put in good and close and I use one good sized heavy hedge post for every 5 metal "T" posts.

It's not the cheepest or the quickest way to put in a fence, but I hate doing fence work so much that when I put in a fence, I only want to do it ONCE!

:banana:

Latest posts