wich bull

Help Support CattleToday:

cleav

Reaction score
i got some crossbred cattle red and black wich bull would be best simbrah,beefmaster, or brangus. if anyone crosses with these bulls what result did you end up with. what would you cross those cattle back with braunvieh or simm.

Of the breeds you listed, I would choose simbrah, but without knowing what the cows are crosses of, climate and forage conditions, etc., it would be impossible to make a realistic recommendation. A lot also depends on what market you are in and how different calves sell in your area. In our general area in southeast MO almost all calves with any ear take a hit at the sale barns - not because of their quality, but because the buyers can do it. I don't blame them because we all have to make money sometime and somehow or we'll all be out of business. I just don't raise calves with any ear.

if i cross this black simbrah on black baldies will that still give me a lot of ear if the simbrah is 5/8 sim and 3/8 brahman.

It seems like the inheritence of ear is rather a strange phenomenon. Some bulls through more ear then others even with the same percentages. Neighbor had a Brangus bull that would almost completely knock the ear off, his full brother seemed to add ear. Genetics are such an easy thing to understand!

dun

cleav":2qmm4yqt said:
if i cross this black simbrah on black baldies will that still give me a lot of ear if the simbrah is 5/8 sim and 3/8 brahman.

I think that your crossbreds should be first bred to Simmental bulls (you will get more Continental influnce) and than, if you need Brahman influ3ence cross them back with Simbrah and you will mantain at least a little more of 50% of Simmental blood in you crossbreds.

cleav":3dqu51zj said:
i got some crossbred cattle red and black wich bull would be best simbrah,beefmaster, or brangus. if anyone crosses with these bulls what result did you end up with. what would you cross those cattle back with braunvieh or simm.