wich breed to pick from

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

i am a small time cattle man who is getting ready to start back raising cattle. i am living in ky on about 20 to 25 acres and wanting to know what breed best meets my needs. beefmasters,braunvieh,simmental, or marrchigiana. there may be a breed that better fits my needs. just let me know.

depends if you are going into the registered stuff or just meat producer, I know pretty well the 4 breeds you are talking about, we breed them too, just sold out our Beefmaster herd, but I will personally go with Simmental and if you are going into the meat market that will be your own decision after checking what sells the best in your area

> i am a small time cattle man who
> is getting ready to start back
> raising cattle. i am living in ky
> on about 20 to 25 acres and
> wanting to know what breed best
> meets my needs.
> beefmasters,braunvieh,simmental,
> or marrchigiana. there may be a
> breed that better fits my needs.
> just let me know.

[email protected]

> meets my needs.
> just let me know.

You should consider the Murray Grey breed, or at least a Murray Grey Bull on commercial cattle.

[email protected]

What are your "needs"? Quality grade, yield grade, grass finish, and where/how will you sell them? Whatever breed is selected you need to have good availabliity of good quality cows and or bulls. What breeds are in your neighborhood? How many head do you plan on raising, what is the quality of your pasture? These are all some of the things to look into before making your selection.

dun

> meets my needs.
> just let me know.

> depends if you are going into the
> registered stuff or just meat
> producer, I know pretty well the 4
> breeds you are talking about, we
> breed them too, just sold out our
> Beefmaster herd, but I will
> personally go with Simmental and
> if you are going into the meat
> market that will be your own
> decision after checking what sells
> the best in your area ======i was just woundering why you sold your beefmasters?=======tc

first off, we need to know what your needs are to be of any real help, besides opinions. like how are you going to market, are you going to save replacements, etc.

Since you mentioned these four breeds i'm going to assume there is something you like about them personally. So of the aforementioned 4 I would highly recommend a beefmaster cowherd and a simmental bull, perhaps black if that is the popular thing to do there. from my experience this is an outstanding cross. not only will your bull calves be growthy but your heifers will be EXCELLENT if you wish to retain or market them as replacements.

You are in the heart of angus(black) country,you will find plenty around,or crosses .Black baldies(F-1) would be best. Then you can use what ever bull you chose. Angus,Brangus, or Chiangus(all Blacks) would be a good choice...alf ...

[email protected]

> first off, we need to know what
> your needs are to be of any real
> help, besides opinions. like how
> are you going to market, are you
> going to save replacements, etc.

> Since you mentioned these four
> breeds i'm going to assume there
> is something you like about them
> personally. So of the
> aforementioned 4 I would highly
> recommend a beefmaster cowherd and
> a simmental bull, perhaps black if
> that is the popular thing to do
> there. from my experience this is
> an outstanding cross. not only
> will your bull calves be growthy
> but your heifers will be EXCELLENT
> if you wish to retain or market
> them as replacements. ----------------------------------------i really like your ideas i just do not know if or where to find reasonable beefmaster grade cows or any of the other three breeds eather for that matter all i see around here is those dang angus and i realy want to find something diffrent that will still market well. maybe even selling breeding stock but that may be getting in over my head. thanks for your help.

you might want to try Arterburn farms-purebred and commercial beefmasters. wickliffe, kentucky harry arterburn

or chad arterburn in louisville if either of these are close to you. youre right, not many beefmaster breeders in kentucky..

actually i found osme more.

what is close? benton, leitchfield, greenville, cynthiana, moorman, loretto, arlington,manchester, lagrange, prospect, horse branch, hazel green, midway, versailles, gravel switch, olive hill, rockfield, new concord, winhester, lewisburg, hazard, horse cave, harrodsburg, big springs, robards, lexington, henderson, hillsboro, barlow, franklin, science hill, hopkinsville, brownsville, glasgow

if you see anything interesting let me know and i'll hook you up with some #s or email.

> meets my needs
> just let me know.

I grew up around shorthorns, have a small operation now and have a mix of xbreed cows and a Shorthorn Bull great luck with small birth weights and rappid growth. Have seen some adds in the Shorthorn Mag for the KY area

[email protected]

i think we all have a personal preference and then we have to consider market preference according to area. are we in this for the market or for the pleasure of looking out at what we have or both. you can scout out the market and see what will sell good and than choose by prefernce. i like a little ear because they make good cows but you can use a bull to take some off for the sale barn. for the price per pound.it is kind of disappointing to think you have a good herd and go to the sale barn and not get a good price for your cattle so. sit at the sale and compare with what is in your pasture and breed to get top price. you might as well be feeding a profitable animal as a pet.

[email protected]

Latest posts