wich breed polled herford, beefmaster, or murray gray

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
i have some braunvieh cows wanting to know which breed would be better to cross with polled herford, beefmaster, or murray gray and why.

Are you going to keep heifers?
Then beefmaster on the first priority.
If not retaining heifers, buy a limo bull.

go with the beefmaster bull on those cows.he will add pounds to the calves at weaning.an if you have good milking cows.he will raise your weaning weights.the calves hitt the ground small an grow real fast.an the heifers will make great momma cows.

I think you would really like crossing those cows on some Murray Greys, although I haven't ever seen that cross yet. We have crossed Murrays on a lot of different breeds, and really been pleased with the outcome. I would be interested in seeing that cross if you end up doing it. And you can't beat the personality.

I wouldnt go with the Beefmaster anything with ear will take a beating up here.
So marketing will be hard.

The cross of hereford and braunvieh will create alot of white in all the wrong places.
An hereford is going to take a hit of 5 or 6 cwt anyhow. I would think that cross would be middle of the market at best, so unless you are retainng heifers for a herd improvement thats not he way I would go.

Murrey grey would work also depending on size and cow a char would work.

Anything that will add mucsle and black will bring alittle more cash.

you have to decide were you are going.
Then develope a plan to get there.

If you breed them to a murray grey you will get a Grauvieh (graycow). :tiphat:

anything black will bring more per lb but will not necessarilly bring more money.

American breeds, imo, will produce your best replacement heifers. A cow that is half American breed and then crossed with another breed will sell calves that hardly take a hit at all and will make up for it in the size and weight of the calf you raise. We did it just this last week with some of our cull fall Santas and Santa cross calves we sold at the local sale barn.

The check was actually reaffirming. We had 2 black angus calves (neighbor bull) that brought 12 cents per pound more but weighed 150 lbs less than our average of the other calves.

KenB":11flsthk said:
If you breed them to a murray grey you will get a Grauvieh (graycow). :tiphat:

Then you could call them Grayvieh (Gravy).

Braunviehs seem to be an all-round breed so it may make it harder to find a complimentary cross. Maybe you need to look at your particular herd and decide what needs improvement and go from there.

usually you'd like to put a british breed on a continental, but that is usually to help with marbling and braunviehs should need that.

out of your choices i would select the beefmaster. the shorthorn influence would contribute to marbling ability, they should still maintain adequate ribeye, and the little extra backfat probably wouldn't do a lot of damage to yield grade. one breeder in our area has beefmasters- they have good conformation, disposition seems o.k., and they wean off heavy calves. also, don't think you would have to much eye trouble or fly problems. cons would be the ear, hide color and sheath.

hereford x that i've seen were tigerstriped.

murray grey x ???

you didn't mention angus over braunvieh. pros IMO would be polled calves, better ear, black hided (pretty much), improved sheath. cons IMO would be less muscle, higher yield grade, higher backfat.

good luck, ROB

Latest posts