Why

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
Why is always one of the better cows that raises a great calf have something go wrong. You can have a cow your looking for a reason to cull and she will have a full set of teeth when she is old enough to vote.
Had one that raises a great calf every year show up with mastitis today. Milking her charging admission tomorrow for the rodeo, calf on a bottle and both on antibotics she is hamburger now. Looks like the front two quarters are dead. This goes back to black vultures getting her calf last year and she strutted bad.
Well if you ain't got em you can't loose them.

for some reason beyond explanation, it seems the best are the ones destined to do something stupid, like break a leg, get eaten by a bear, get mastitis decide to role over and die. Just once it would be nice if the one ready for the wheels would up and croak instead of a nice one. Sorry about your loss

plain an simple its the cows that do a good job raising calves that always blowup.an we deal with the problems.

Why??? I think its just the cow-God's way of plucking our nerves. Occasionally that Murphy guy has some involvement. Its also a test of our mettle.

As for the rodeo, how much are the tickets? I think I'd like to go see that rodeo :lol: . I'd surely enjoy being a spectator for a change. :lol2:

Sorry to hear about it. Good luck.

Katherine

Caustic Burno":3ro7yy8k said:
Why is always one of the better cows that raises a great calf have something go wrong. You can have a cow your looking for a reason to cull and she will have a full set of teeth when she is old enough to vote.

I've got one that has been on the cull list since she was 14 months old when I AIed her the first time. She's still on the list and is now raising her 7th calf. Got another one that I had planned on keeping till she dropped over dead. Raises a dynamite calf but she prolapsed so when her calf is weaned she'll be getting on the bus.

Workinonit Farm":23ht8bmf said:
Why??? I think its just the cow-God's way of plucking our nerves. Occasionally that Murphy guy has some involvement. Its also a test of our mettle.

As for the rodeo, how much are the tickets? I think I'd like to go see that rodeo :lol: . I'd surely enjoy being a spectator for a change. :lol2:

Sorry to hear about it. Good luck.

Katherine

Admission is cheap just trying to scrape enough together for another bag of milk replacer :nod: The WILD COW milking contest is Rated R due to language and potential violent acts.

On a serious note this is totally my fault for not culling the cow last year and trying to get one more calf out of her. I broke my own rule and now I am bottle feeding one. I knew that cow was headed for trouble after she lost her calf and the way her udder strutted last year.

I feel your pain Caustic. My best doe is laid up in the back of my truck trying to die from a kidney infection :frowns:

Caustic Burno":ozfdl0f5 said:
The WILD COW milking contest is Rated R due to language and potential violent acts.

:lol2: :lol2:

Workinonit Farm":ozfdl0f5 said:
Caustic Burno":ozfdl0f5 said:
trying to get one more calf out of her. I broke my own rule

Many of us have that T-shirt. I know I have at least 2 of those shirts.

Katherine

Me too.

rockridgecattle":2fs88b1l said:
for some reason beyond explanation, it seems the best are the ones destined to do something stupid, like break a leg, get eaten by a bear, get mastitis decide to role over and die. Just once it would be nice if the one ready for the wheels would up and croak instead of a nice one. Sorry about your loss

That is the way it is though. You could sit there and wish one to die you hate it so bad and that thing wont never die it will out live you. Then you got one that you never want to die and baby it and pamper it and boom it up and dies.

Caustic Burno":1nsnesny said:
On a serious note this is totally my fault for not culling the cow last year and trying to get one more calf out of her. I broke my own rule and now I am bottle feeding one. I knew that cow was headed for trouble after she lost her calf and the way her udder strutted last year.

Anyone who has been in cattle for very long has been there/done that, and has the T-shirt to prove it. It's all too easy to make that kind of call with a good cow.

Latest posts