Why would someone want a cow that is 1500lbs?

Help Support CattleToday:

Why do you questioned the frame score? Was the cow that you have out of a small framed cow?
Do you consider him to be a monster bull because of his size or because of his EPD's?
Please don't take any of this wrong but I was alittle confused by your post. You seemed to be fairly pleased with his dtr (could use a little less milk) but you don't know why anyone would want a monster bull like he turned out to be.
Tod

dun":1zgj8379 said:
That would be one way. Another would be a cow and bull combination that have moderate frame but high post yearling growth. But why would anyone want a monster bull like he has turned out to be? When we got this cow his YW was much lower then they are today.
I also sort of question his FS of 6.2. I've found that FS measurments and BCS can vary a great deal from one person to anothers measurments. I know that 58 inches should be 58 inches, but depending on how the cow stands you can get an inch or probably even 2 difference one way or another.
We took FS measuremnts this spring, when you're running them through quickly it's pretty hard to be consistant.

dun

ollie":1zgj8379 said:
dun":1zgj8379 said:
She isn't the heavy weight, but she's close. Her normal weight is around 1200 when she's feeding a calf, this year it's 1610. Too much good quality grass.
But she is one of the normal size cows, FS 6, but deep, long, and wide with a huge butt.
That's part of the reason that FS is more valid then weight. Conditions can vary so much. We have a mature FS 4.5 that weighs 1450 lbs this year a 4 year old FS 4.5 that weighs 1336.
According the the standard BIF FS chart a mature FS 6 female should weigh 1295 at BCS of 5.

dun

ollie":1zgj8379 said:
Dun, email Kirby and ask what the mother of millenium So weighed. I bet more than 1200. There is a difference between good cows weighing 1200 and sorry big cows weighing 1200. If they are like the ones you posted it dosn't take a very big cow to weigh alot.
So in answer to the topic those that want to raise Bulls Like millenium use 1500 pound cows.

His size. 2500 plus for a FS 6.2 bull seems to be bit out of wack. Have no idea what size this cows dam was. His weight, unless he's in an overly high body condition, more runs in the FS 8 range.

dun

Tod Dague":29my62z8 said:
Why do you questioned the frame score? Was the cow that you have out of a small framed cow?
Do you consider him to be a monster bull because of his size or because of his EPD's?
Please don't take any of this wrong but I was alittle confused by your post. You seemed to be fairly pleased with his dtr (could use a little less milk) but you don't know why anyone would want a monster bull like he turned out to be.
Tod

dun":29my62z8 said:
That would be one way. Another would be a cow and bull combination that have moderate frame but high post yearling growth. But why would anyone want a monster bull like he has turned out to be? When we got this cow his YW was much lower then they are today.
I also sort of question his FS of 6.2. I've found that FS measurments and BCS can vary a great deal from one person to anothers measurments. I know that 58 inches should be 58 inches, but depending on how the cow stands you can get an inch or probably even 2 difference one way or another.
We took FS measuremnts this spring, when you're running them through quickly it's pretty hard to be consistant.

dun

ollie":29my62z8 said:
dun":29my62z8 said:
She isn't the heavy weight, but she's close. Her normal weight is around 1200 when she's feeding a calf, this year it's 1610. Too much good quality grass.
But she is one of the normal size cows, FS 6, but deep, long, and wide with a huge butt.
That's part of the reason that FS is more valid then weight. Conditions can vary so much. We have a mature FS 4.5 that weighs 1450 lbs this year a 4 year old FS 4.5 that weighs 1336.
According the the standard BIF FS chart a mature FS 6 female should weigh 1295 at BCS of 5.

dun

ollie":29my62z8 said:
Dun, email Kirby and ask what the mother of millenium So weighed. I bet more than 1200. There is a difference between good cows weighing 1200 and sorry big cows weighing 1200. If they are like the ones you posted it dosn't take a very big cow to weigh alot.
So in answer to the topic those that want to raise Bulls Like millenium use 1500 pound cows.

Tod Dague":1jxfpk3o said:

I would prefer when they list mature weights for bulls that they would do it in their working clothes.
Over conditioning awlays makes me think about show stock and not production animals.
One of my many, many quirks

dun":qn6ai8vb said:
His size. 2500 plus for a FS 6.2 bull seems to be bit out of wack. Have no idea what size this cows dam was. His weight, unless he's in an overly high body condition, more runs in the FS 8 range.

dun

Tod Dague":qn6ai8vb said:
Tod

dun

ollie":qn6ai8vb said:

dun

ollie":qn6ai8vb said:
Dun,
In your analization of what a bull should weigh in his workng clothes you didn't account for the differences in quality. The bull that I told you about that was measured two different ways after being out on cows for a month weighs about 2100lb. He is two as of February and weighed probly 2300 when he went out on cows. As deep and thick as Millenium is I think he should weigh more at a frame 6 If he is in his working clothes than 2500. A Good 7 frame bull that I own weighed 2700 when I put him out on cows and he was average flesh and has gained weight since turnout

Hey Bez,
You're right about everything but the three sided shelters...our girls just have to tough it out in the great outdoors. The only time they see the inside of a building is when they calve, and some of them manage to give birth on the sunny side of the barn, lick up their calf, etc so miss the shelter altogether.
Nice to here from a fellow Peace Country native.

Take care, enjoy the summer.

ollie":2wrnbjhc said:
Dun,
In your analization of what a bull should weigh in his workng clothes you didn't account for the differences in quality. The bull that I told you about that was measured two different ways after being out on cows for a month weighs about 2100lb. He is two as of February and weighed probly 2300 when he went out on cows. As deep and thick as Millenium is I think he should weigh more at a frame 6 If he is in his working clothes than 2500. A Good 7 frame bull that I own weighed 2700 when I put him out on cows and he was average flesh and has gained weight since turnout

Knowing what I do about Millenium now, I would only use him as a terminal sire. Bulls that mature as real heavy weights tend to have daughters that do the same. When you get to a certain point, what does all of that surplus cow size accomplish? Eat's more grass and maybe raises a slightly heavier calf. But is the heavier calf in proportion to the extra feed the cow needs just to maintain herself?
We sell at weaning and get paid on some calves at slaughter. What we need is fast growing calves that have good carcass' that will quality grade AND yield grade.
Maternal sires are a whole different can of worms. A moderate weight/frame bull is probably going to sire daughters that will also stay moderate and raise a good calf on less feed.
The bulls feed consumption is pretty academic to me since they all eat from the same LN2 supply and stay in their little silver corral. A 3000 lb bull eats the same as a 1800 lb bull and occupies the same space.
The majority of the bulls we use are pretty much double duty. They can sire both carcass and maternal. But we do have a couple that are strictly carcass bulls and they're bred to cows that either we don't really want to retain daughters from or we won't need to retain daughters from.
Last year we retained 2 heifers, this year it's looking like possibly 4/5 heifers. To keep the numbers down where they are easily handled, bearing in mind that this is now a money making hobby and no longer a livleyhood, we'll have to cull pretty deep next year. The really big cows will be the first to hit the bricks. They're good cows with a lot of good years and calves left, but they don't fit into the long range plans.

dun

Latest posts