Why won't my calf get up??

Help Support CattleToday:

Chernobylmom

Reaction score
I have an approximately 5 month old holstein bull calf that can't get up by himself. He's been like this for over 2 weeks now. The vet came out the first day he was down and he didn't know what was wrong with it. Once we get up, it can walk around fine. It has hay, sweet feed, and range minerals and I've been giving it electrolytes in it's water. It's almost like he doesn't have enough muscle but I don't know. Any ideas? I'm new to this cattle business. Thanks in advance for your help.

If he was younger I would suggest selenium, and that still might not be a bad idea. Did the vet do any blood work?

What have you been feeding it - and how much?

You state that you are 'new' to this... it may be as simple as... inadequate nutrition

nutritional - or worms, or both are the first things to consider. Hay can vary considerably in nutrient provision.
About anything else is what you get the vet in to diagnose.
If the vet took bloods/fecal samples you should have results by now - worms, mineral, they could have screened for indicators of inflammation or organ failure.

The vet didn't do any bloodwork but he did give him a shot of vitamin A and something else. He also treaded him for worms. I'm supposed to give the second shot today. I have another calf who also has worms but she gets up fine so I doubt it's the worms. Is there any place I can get the BoSe besides the vet? I can't afford to have him come out again.

Selenium (BoSe/MuSe) is only available from the vet. With any luck, since he's already seen the calf he will just give you the stuff to administer yourself.