why they wait

Help Support CattleToday:

Joy in Texas

Reaction score
Why do cows calf when it's wet cold and miserable for us ? I got up 3 times last night drove down to place to check my cow. I'm going to cook breakfast before I go back.
The cow is ready ,but I think she likes all of the attention. And I do swear I see a smurk on her face when I turn to leave. I'm sure she thinks. Hum, I wonder if I will be back.

Joy in Texas":1stswj9w said:
Why do cows calf when it's wet cold and miserable for us ? I got up 3 times last night drove down to place to check my cow. I'm going to cook breakfast before I go back.
The cow is ready ,but I think she likes all of the attention. And I do swear I see a smurk on her face when I turn to leave. I'm sure she thinks. Hum, I wonder if I will be back.

Joy,

It's a proven fact that animals (insert cattle), just like people, are affected by a drop in the barometer. If a cow is close, a drop in the barometric pressure can trigger labor. Dosen't make it easy, but cold fronts in the winter are natural "starters" for labor. :)

Running Arrow Bill":155tsmip said:
Perhaps a survival thing to calve when "she thinks" most predators are holed up in their cave??? Or, when cold weather holds down the smell of the afterbirth??

or...???
cows calve on their own time not ours.but the weather an time of day has alot todo with it.an they like to keep us on our toes.

I know that's for they do like keeping us on our toes. Atleast it doesn't seem to be as cold as it was earlier this morning.And it has stopped raining.

shes going to calve right after you leave so if i were you i'd leave and then turn around and come back to keep HER on her toes.

:lol2: :lol2: Ok Beefy, I pretended to leave and she's looking at me like I'm crazy. I'm sure it'll be in the morning. They are predicting freezing rain.

Joy in Texas":wogdu2la said:
:lol2: :lol2: Ok Beefy, I pretended to leave and she's looking at me like I'm crazy. I'm sure it'll be in the morning. They are predicting freezing rain.

This is just natures way of getting week people out the buss.

Never had to pull a calf in good weather.

I AI my cows, sure enough had one standing heat last night.

And we do this because we enjoy it??? :lol:

true, true. pouring rain 36 degrees and guess what happens. heifer decides to have her calf 8:00 last night. just glad that it wasn't ice like some of you had this weekend. i was soaked through everything but the calf was trying to get up as soon as it hit the ground. little heifer , mom ran off for a few minutes, because all the other heifers and myself were to close, and i was concerned but she came back and took control.

jcarkie":1no5f53f said:
true, true. pouring rain 36 degrees and guess what happens. heifer decides to have her calf 8:00 last night. just glad that it wasn't ice like some of you had this weekend. i was soaked through everything but the calf was trying to get up as soon as it hit the ground. little heifer , mom ran off for a few minutes, because all the other heifers and myself were to close, and i was concerned but she came back and took control.
Aw congrats....Glad everything is ok... Mine on the other hand has not done anything yet. It got bad last night. It was so blasted cold and raining. Gee, I decided she can do just what ever... Went back alittle while ago and she is just standing there looking at me.

Two years ago we had one calving problem in the whole season. A heifer needed to be pulled, calf had a leg back. What day did it happen? Easter! Cooked a big ham and got dinner done while Mom kept going to check the cow. My husband kept saying there was going to be a problem. No, I didn't believe it so I ate large amounts of food and then had to go get the cow in. Cows are like that they like to find the worst possible time to be difficult.

Latest posts