Why the Horned absence?

Help Support CattleToday:

Dylan Biggs

Reaction score
Looking through the 2011 Semex directory and all the Herefords in the directory except one were polled. 16 polled bulls pictured. The lone horned bull was relegated to the rear of the directory with the "other" breeds, Blues, Parthenais, Red Poll, Salers, Wagyu and Dual Purpose Simmental.

Is this simply a refection of the state of the demand for Horned Hereford, or what?

Dylan Biggs":wlnhcb3f said:
Looking through the 2011 Semex directory and all the Herefords in the directory except one were polled. 16 polled bulls pictured. The lone horned bull was relegated to the rear of the directory with the "other" breeds, Blues, Parthenais, Red Poll, Salers, Wagyu and Dual Purpose Simmental.

Is this simply a refection of the state of the demand for Horned Hereford, or what?
with both being in the same association.. id be raising cane with with em

ALACOWMAN":1k91uw2c said:
Dylan Biggs":1k91uw2c said:

Alacowman, I don't know about anywhere else but around here all the Herefords I see are horned, thats what makes me wonder?

Most of the polled cattle I have seen, and maybe I just haven't seen the good ones, are not near the quality as the horned.

Dylan Biggs":25k1dlgs said:
ALACOWMAN":25k1dlgs said:
Dylan Biggs":25k1dlgs said:

Alacowman, I don't know about anywhere else but around here all the Herefords I see are horned, thats what makes me wonder?

Most of the polled cattle I have seen, and maybe I just haven't seen the good ones, are not near the quality as the horned.
can you hear me tip toe'in out of this one :p

ALACOWMAN":607ktu67 said:
Dylan Biggs":607ktu67 said:
ALACOWMAN":607ktu67 said:

can you hear me tip toe'in out of this one :p

Do you do a good impersonation of Tiny Tim? :)

Most of the polled cattle I have seen, and maybe I just haven't seen the good ones, are not near the quality as the horned.[/quote] can you hear me tip toe'in out of this one :p[/quote]

Do you do a good impersonation of Tiny Tim? :)[/quote]......... are you kidding?? in Alabama ... that sht will get you killed :cowboy:

Dylan Biggs":6cgefv5q said:

I'm planning to use the polled bull called T-mobile. I'd get some marbling and easy doing genetics.

P.A.L":39bcala8 said:
Dylan Biggs":39bcala8 said:

I'm planning to use the polled bull called T-mobile. I'd get some marbling and easy doing genetics.

Looks like a desent bull, are most of the Herefords in Finland polled?

Maybe the apparent prefernce for polled is simply a matter of not wanting to dehorn.

Dylan Biggs":1lq6gm79 said:
P.A.L":1lq6gm79 said:
Dylan Biggs":1lq6gm79 said:

Maybe the apparent prefernce for polled is simply a matter of not wanting to dehorn.
and the quailty of polled cattle now... since breeders have paying attention to traits other than a smooth noggin :cowboy:

Around here if you see herfs at all they are polled. Not too many PB operations in my area anymore, but alot of mixed commercial herds that have a lot of herf cattle. I had a few as well before the drought ,they were all polled . Worked great when crossed with a GV ,got some really nice red baldies.

Thanks for posting this , it reminded me that I need to call Westgen and get a few breeding calenders and a new beef catalog .

Dylan Biggs":28dh7q9a said:
P.A.L":28dh7q9a said:
Dylan Biggs":28dh7q9a said:

Nowadays herefords are becoming polled in Finland. There is no market for horned ones. It's the same in the rest of the Europe. Polled "Momma" breeds are popular.

hillsdown":2s8o97aq said:
Around here if you see herfs at all they are polled. Not too many PB operations in my area anymore, but alot of mixed commercial herds that have a lot of herf cattle. I had a few as well before the drought ,they were all polled . Worked great when crossed with a GV ,got some really nice red baldies.

Thanks for posting this , it reminded me that I need to call Westgen and get a few breeding calenders and a new beef catalog .

Why herefords are gone? What breeds are pop?

P.A.L":208edli1 said:
hillsdown":208edli1 said:

Black is beautiful. Just keep trying to remember those words and keep saying it and you will talk yourself into it. :)

JHH":26h2ptve said:
P.A.L":26h2ptve said:
hillsdown":26h2ptve said:

Black is beautiful. Just keep trying to remember those words and keep saying it and you will talk yourself into it. :)
and if that dont do the trick.. drive around the farms ""here"" and stockyards

Latest posts