Why some people move

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I mentioned in another thread about people moving to our area from other states. I've always wondered why people move far away for no obvious reason. We have a lot of people who move here in Ky who fit that description, and I don't understand it. I can't fathom moving away.

I can only think of a few reasons why one might logically move away. One would be to follow a major job. Another might be the desire to totally change your lifestyle and surroundings, such as moving from a small town to NY City, or vise versa.

I can't understand, however, why someone would move 500plus miles away just to live in a similar place from where they came where they have no roots, family, or guarantee of employment, and they usually live in a dump. Honestly, I probably wouldn't move for those reasons, but they are more logical than just moving for the heck of it.

Do any of you have these type of "move-ins" in your area? What is their reason for moving in?

Jobs and opportunities maybe
Either that or a good welfare system
I hear about people moving to Florida for the climate and welfare

Maybe property value, Neighbors, School system? Tax rate, politicians and regulations such as zoning, somehow getting closer to family or something they like, getting out of a perticular climate zone. I moved out of humid, liberal, high tax, homeowner assoc. regulated, high traffic full of foreigners area. Sold my house, made $20,000 on the house(got me started in cattle plus another $20,000 out of my own pocket), got 1.5 hours from my folks instead of 3.5 hours away, and can have a scrap metal pile in the front yard without anyone saying a word, the schools here dont teach liberal garbage, they are still conservative, and my property taxes went from $2,500 to $900 a year. Some people here move up north as they get older to get out of the Tx heat. Those might be reasons.

Because they can.
Grass is always greener over the septic tank.
A niece while growing up had a romantic notion of what life would be like in big city like New York.
She's married and living happily in a town of 3,500 now, but once thought that could never be possible.

I know I would never move, so I have no idea why I did the following........Bought 9.5 acres near midland and Odessa. What I wanted to accomplish......A place to escape the mud of winter in retirement. Close access to public horse back riding. A few ropins/open rodeos to hit. I was going to stay in my LQ trailer from January 1st to calving Feb 22nd. Bought it sight unseen, but had a user here go look at it. Held on to it about 3 years. Neighbors got to yapping about it growing up, and slowing growth. Eventually sold it one of the neighbors. Never did step foot on it. Long story short, none of that is like me. If I'd do it then anybody would.

herofan":1hea4vg0 said:
I mentioned in another thread about people moving to our area from other states. I've always wondered why people move far away for no obvious reason. We have a lot of people who move here in Ky who fit that description, and I don't understand it. I can't fathom moving away.

I can only think of a few reasons why one might logically move away. One would be to follow a major job. Another might be the desire to totally change your lifestyle and surroundings, such as moving from a small town to NY City, or vise versa.

I can't understand, however, why someone would move 500plus miles away just to live in a similar place from where they came where they have no roots, family, or guarantee of employment, and they usually live in a dump. Honestly, I probably wouldn't move for those reasons, but they are more logical than just moving for the heck of it.

Do any of you have these type of "move-ins" in your area? What is their reason for moving in?

There was a computer program when I retired, can't remember the name that would give you cost of living stats for different areas.
Quite a few guys I worked with retired to Arkansas and Missouri.

My wife and I made a move 4 hours or so away from home. Partially it was for work but a big deciding factor was land price. Were we lived that big dairy farms had land price and rent through the roof so no way could we afford to run cattle. Here it's a lot more justifiable and you don't need to sell your soul for some ground.

skyhightree1":3ke3i6u0 said:
talltimber":3ke3i6u0 said:
Attempt to escape reputation?

escape from your family is a good reason too

That was part of the reason we moved 3,000 miles. Unfortunately, they followed. It has sucked.

Cost of living is another reason. Californians move here b/c of it. Sell their house, make a big windfall and come here and outright buy a house.

My grand mothers thoughts and saying on moving. Her statement would have been Where ever the bird flies the tail will always follow.

Bestoutwest":16yv8cp3 said:
skyhightree1":16yv8cp3 said:
talltimber":16yv8cp3 said:

That was part of the reason we moved 3,000 miles. Unfortunately, they followed. It has sucked.

Cost of living is another reason. Californians move here b/c of it. Sell their house, make a big windfall and come here and outright buy a house.
I know, wish they would all go back to California, leave my state alone.

Bestoutwest":2811wfgk said:
skyhightree1":2811wfgk said:
talltimber":2811wfgk said:

Move again, and forget to give them the new address.

Rafter S":qlu5ndxb said:
Bestoutwest":qlu5ndxb said:
skyhightree1":qlu5ndxb said:

Move again, and forget to give them the new address.

I wish it was that easy. With my name, I am literally the only one in the world, so finding us wouldn't be hard. Her father is the only one left and his health has got to be failing. He's a smoker, prior stage IV cancer and a heart attack. He can't be doing well.

My Dad has no desire to even visit a place he's not familiar with. It's a different story with me. I suppose I'm lucky that I get to travel quite a bit for work, but it just feeds the fire. I'm a roamer, but I keep it hid down deep.

A few years back, we were getting a lot of Kentuckians and some Minnesotans moving in around here, due to the wonderful Illinois social programs. Extended families would move in to the small, declining towns (100-300 pop.) and set up shop.

slick4591":1gqgm0c0 said:
I could never drag the wife away from the grand kids, so I'm firmly planted unless she runs me off.
My wife hated me for the first 2 years. I pretty much forced the move, she didnt even help me pack a box, it wasnt easy or the best years in my marriage but it was the right time and kept the family ranch from getting sold. She actually told me this year she really loves living out here. Guess it worked out.

Can't imagine moving to get away from family.
Can't imagine moving for a job. Scares me to death to think about having to mold my life round a job. Supposed to be the other way around. I don't even leave to go ok n vacation

hurleyjd":13sgu9u0 said:
My grand mothers thoughts and saying on moving. Her statement would have been Where ever the bird flies the tail will always follow.

Or we could quote that famous sage, Winnie the Pooh (or was it Christopher Robin): "No matter where you go, there you are!"

Latest posts