Why some people move

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest":6zlgkl9n said:
I wish it was that easy. With my name, I am literally the only one in the world, so finding us wouldn't be hard. Her father is the only one left and his health has got to be failing. He's a smoker, prior stage IV cancer and a heart attack. "He can't be doing well".

He says, hopefully. ;-)
Change your name maybe????

Greener grass syndrome. Or in some cases, retired military. They get so used to moving every couple of years that it doesn;t feel normal to not do it.

boondocks":2f9i0a3b said:
Bestoutwest":2f9i0a3b said:
I wish it was that easy. With my name, I am literally the only one in the world, so finding us wouldn't be hard. Her father is the only one left and his health has got to be failing. He's a smoker, prior stage IV cancer and a heart attack. "He can't be doing well".

He says, hopefully. ;-)
Change your name maybe????

I've always said that the day I win the lottery I will become another one of the John Smiths in the world.

callmefence":2f9i0a3b said:
Can't imagine moving to get away from family.
Can't imagine moving for a job. Scares me to death to think about having to mold my life round a job. Supposed to be the other way around. I don't even leave to go ok n vacation

The best way to describe it is that if you were married to that person, you'd divorce them and never talk to them again. He's.....I'll just stop there. Part of the reason we moved was for a job, too. Best thing I've ever done. Got me to a new part of the world, got me land for cows, got my wife away from her family, and if I stayed my position would have been cut. I'd rather have not done that, but it's worked out.

People move here to escape the world. Lots of cell/ internet dead zones in this area, although that is slowly changing.

Farmers move here because of the lure of being a BTO. Can sell a small-time peanuts operation somewhere else and be a mega size operation here with only using the existing funds from the sale of the small operation. Guys sell 5 or 6 acres elsewhere and buy full quarter sections here. Some places guys can sell 100 acres and buy 3000 acres here.

callmefence":jp50rk8l said:
Can't imagine moving for a job. Scares me to death to think about having to mold my life round a job. Supposed to be the other way around. I don't even leave to go ok n vacation
With my company moving to take over a new store could mean an extra $70,000 or $80,000 a year. I would move for that, 10 years, pay off the ranch, a couple small rental houses, get out of my job and do something else. Hard to leave but would pay off in the long run.

BK9954":3poyvdui said:
callmefence":3poyvdui said:
With my company moving to take over a new store could mean an extra $70,000 or $80,000 a year. I would move for that, 10 years, pay off the ranch, a couple small rental houses, get out of my job and do something else. Hard to leave but would pay off in the long run.

That's a chunk for sure and I sure wouldn't think less of anyone who does it.
I do think a lot of people fool themselves with traveling for work though. In the time spent away from home. On the road and in motels. They could just work two jobs and be at home.
I know that got off topic.... :D

This is the day before I came to your place, Fence. It gets expensive, but sometimes you just have to fly them all along behind you.
Kate's 9th birthday party at American Girl in Dallas with my wife, mom, sister, and Stevie. I like the travel, so long as they get to go with me. Should give a little insight into the priorities of the boss, as well.

I told my wife I'm moving to Georgia and she's welcome to come, four years later see she finally decided to move. Now it's a fight just to get her to go back to Florida for Christmas. I traveled for work and pleasure my whole life, but it beat staying at home and working for the family. Now my kids are traveling the world and I would like them to stay home, go figure.

Back when I was riding in the rodeos I rode in every state west of the Mississippi except two. I don't know how or why I missed those two. When I was falling timber I worked from Southern Oregon to Alaska and from just off the Pacific ocean to Western Montana. I have been around a bit. Through a lot of that I owned this place here (38 years). There is a for sale sign out by the road right now. And I was in Baker City Oregon (400 miles from here) talking to bankers yesterday and this morning. I never wanted to live here long term. Now that I am retired I can live where I always wanted to. They will send my check to me where ever I am.
Parents are gone. Only see the siblings once or twice a year. The kids are scattered and even the close ones I only see once in a while. Can't live your life for other people.

Friend of mine said that when he retired from the Navy he was going to put an oar over one shoulder and start walking east. When someone asked him what it was he would stop. Don;t know if he did it but he ended up in Utah.

callmefence":9229pc55 said:
BK9954":9229pc55 said:
callmefence":9229pc55 said:

That's a chunk for sure and I sure wouldn't think less of anyone who does it.
I do think a lot of people fool themselves with traveling for work though. In the time spent away from home. On the road and in motels. They could just work two jobs and be at home.
I know that got off topic.... :D

I have had the same thought on travel. I don't travel a bunch by some standards. I'll spend 25-30 nights a year in a hotel. Nothing gets done while your gone, in fact things actually come unraveled. Lots of hidden expense to being gone. Your also wiped out for a day or 2 when you get back.

I moved 2 hrs away from home for a promotion once , longest 3 yrs of my life. As soon as I got an opportunity I got back home and started comuting an hour each way for last 20 yrs. Folks ask why I do it and I just tell them if it weren't for the country and where i live I prolly be a cereal killer , it keeps my head screwed on straight.

M-5":2f071ye4 said:
I moved 2 hrs away from home for a promotion once , longest 3 yrs of my life. As soon as I got an opportunity I got back home and started comuting an hour each way for last 20 yrs. Folks ask why I do it and I just tell them if it weren't for the country and where i live I prolly be a cereal killer , it keeps my head screwed on straight.

I been known to kill a box of coco puffs myself :lol2:
But seriously, I'm right there with you..after serving the public 40 hours a week, living rural is my sanctuary.

I don't mind people moving here (legally) for jobs, especially if they come from another US state, but wish they'd leave their stupid snowflake idiosyncrasies wherever the hell they started off from. Got way too many people moving here from Calif and Colorado with all their whinning crying beechin and moaning.
Can't handle the heat stay the he// out of Texas.

We moved 6 times within 10 years because of hubby's job, ending up in Austin for almost 7 years. When we bought the ranch in KS our friends thought we were nuts to "leave the city life" but it was time, we were done, my family is an hour away and it was the best decision we ever made.

We picked up and moved. Best decision I've ever made. I was running a farm, a ranch, and an AI service in CA. It was very profitable but the regulations were killing me and there was not enough there for me to quit breeding cows fr another two years. The drought hit, which made farming and ranching a nightmare, at about the same time my main customer on the AI deal decided he didn't want to run a dairy anymore and handed it to a son in law whose only qualification for being able to drive through the front gate was his ability to continue to convince the dairyman's daughter that he had been working late instead of dragging in from a two day drunk.
We moved to Oklahoma and were able to buy a much nicer home and I left all the unpleasant parts behind. Now I just run cows and play with bees. It feels like part time but it's a little more than full time and all of a sudden I can go to town and interact with people with a smile on my face and the regulations are so common sense that for the most part they're unnoticed. I do miss having seven generations of family within an hour of me but most of them have come to see us here and I can be there in a day's drive.

Farm Fence Solutions":1wsu0t6t said:

This is the day before I came to your place, Fence. It gets expensive, but sometimes you just have to fly them all along behind you.
Kate's 9th birthday party at American Girl in Dallas with my wife, mom, sister, and Stevie. I like the travel, so long as they get to go with me. Should give a little insight into the priorities of the boss, as well.
When I worked as a service hand (glorified mechanic) for a drilling company, I often took the family with me when I went on a call. They stayed in a nearby motel while I was on the rig, and afterwards, we saw the local sights together.

And of course, moved frequently under orders when I was in the military.
My immediate and extended family were aghast when I told them I was taking wife and kids with me when I went to Cuba for 2 years.

I wonder why some people don't move. I have a friend who was on a ag leadership tour. One of their stops was at a rather infamous getto area. He asked one of the people there why they didn't move out. The answer was that this area was home. It is a big beautiful world out there with lots of opportunity and challenges.

Dave":vdbzt3jh said:
I wonder why some people don't move. I have a friend who was on a ag leadership tour. One of their stops was at a rather infamous getto area. He asked one of the people there why they didn't move out. The answer was that this area was home. It is a big beautiful world out there with lots of opportunity and challenges.

And some folks place floods to the soffit two or three times, and they're determined to rebuild. Seems hard to understand.

D2Cat":2sicgasw said:
Dave":2sicgasw said:

And some folks place floods to the soffit two or three times, and they're determined to rebuild. Seems hard to understand.

I've wondered about that myself; however, I probably have the same mindset. I'd just feel like a fish out of water to go to an unfamiliar place to live.

I also live in an area where cost of living is low, and crime is low. I'd be afraid I couldn't find as peaceful a place somewhere else. It reminds
me of the thread where someone asked if people carried a gun while mowing the lawn. We certainly don't have to here.