Why some pasture more/less appealing

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
We have some areas in our pasture that are eaten very close to the ground, while others are not. There is one area near the barn where we threw some manure last fall, and the grass is very lush and green there, but the heifers don't eat it down, they just mess around with it. On the other hand, we have an area of grass around our garden that is fenced off. We turned them in there one day and when they walked out, it looked like a lawn mower had been there. What's the difference?

My brother said he noticed a field on his way to work. He said there are some areas of the field that are eaten into the dirt, while there are other areas with tall grass. What makes some areas only a few feet from each other more appealing?

dun":31ym74gc said:
manur residue will cause them to avoid areas.

How long does it take for the residue to leave an area to the point that they find it appealing again?

Probably next growing season, and that also depends on decomposition and rainfall. It is good that they avoid those clumps of lush green grass in a pasture--it's their natural way of diminishing the chance of getting a big worm load.

what about dragging pastures and breaking up the more used areas with manure ever so often do you think that may bring them back in sooner if you drug the pasture more?

If the pasture has a variety of grasses this will happen, I have one pasture that has klein and bermuda grass , they eat the klein into the ground before they will eat the bermuda, one reason a person should rotate the pastures

skyhightree1":1rcj261p said:
what about dragging pastures and breaking up the more used areas with manure ever so often do you think that may bring them back in sooner if you drug he pasture more?

Dragging is mostly not economical unless you multi-task. Drag while you broadcast seed for instance. I only drag when it's a small job or I have some complementary task.

Well I like to drag my pastures every time the cows are moved. The manure makes good fertilizer when it's spread throughout the pasture. I have a 8' chain type drag harrow with teeth. We pull it teeth down behind my Kubota 1140 RTV at 10-15 mph. So far we are averaging almost 4 hours to a gallon of fuel in the Kubota. For us it seems like the drag harrow really works good.

highgrit":3sp2sp6w said:
Well I like to drag my pastures every time the cows are moved. The manure makes good fertilizer when it's spread throughout the pasture. I have a 8' chain type drag harrow with teeth. We pull it teeth down behind my Kubota 1140 RTV at 10-15 mph. So far we are averaging almost 4 hours to a gallon of fuel in the Kubota. For us it seems like the drag harrow really works good.

I do the same high but without an kubota RTV.. I use my smallest tractor to drag I think it is very beneficial to me and like high said it makes good fertilizer.

greybeard":3jgljbx7 said:
Probably next growing season, and that also depends on decomposition and rainfall. It is good that they avoid those clumps of lush green grass in a pasture--it's their natural way of diminishing the chance of getting a big worm load.

I didn't know that. Could you expand on this a bit? What is it about lush grass areas that causes worms?

herofan":36pceo7o said:
greybeard":36pceo7o said:

I didn't know that. Could you expand on this a bit? What is it about lush grass areas that causes worms?

It's not the grass it's the manure that made it lush.

We pretty much have to drag as we very rarely get enuf moisture to break it dow very fast.

Thanks for the info. This is a new one for me. I don't think dragging pasture fields is a common practice here. I don't think I've heard of it or ever seen any activity going on that resembles it.

Dang this is a good thread! My cows do the same thing, that is skip over what I thought was the lushest grasses. I have been dragging;based on these comments I am gonna keep dragging.

skyhightree1":301d8jwc said:
highgrit":301d8jwc said:

I do the same high but without an kubota RTV.. I use my smallest tractor to drag I think it is very beneficial to me and like high said it makes good fertilizer.
Love my drag, fields never looked so good. The only negative thing I've have noticed is after I drag it needs to rain on it before the cows start eating the area.