Why so much emphasis on the rump?

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve

Reaction score
Something I've been thinking about lately is why is there so much emphasis placed on the rump of a beef cow. Maybe I'm wrong but It seems like the very best and most valuable cuts of beef are along the topside of the animal. I hear a lot of people criticizing the rump of an animal calling them "hatchet azzed" but I ask myself why does this matter when it is just the round and I thought this was a low grade of beef. I've never heard anyone bragging about their round steaks, and round roasts are not very expensive. I'm sure I'm missing something.

I've found when they have a nice butt they usually have a nice back too.. in any case more meat is better than more bone and leather

In my family growing up one of if not my favorite meal was round steak with mashed potatoes and gravy over both. May not be the most expensive cuts but it sure is good in my book.
As far as the appearance of cattle I have always appreciated the rumps of good Limousin cattle. To me it just makes them look like they are healthy and will weigh more.

I believe the rump makes up 22% of the cut-out, and is 90% lean, so any meat on the rump weighs more.

Like a wise man once said. "Big butts, means Big bucks!"

sim.-ang.king":31kbvt21 said:
I believe the rump makes up 22% of the cut-out, and is 90% lean, so any meat on the rump weighs more.

Makes sense, and I can believe it, but I wonder if a smaller rumped animal with a wider topside would have more value to a producer who was selling freezer beef.

ohiosteve":153w9zo2 said:
sim.-ang.king":153w9zo2 said:

Makes sense, and I can believe it, but I wonder if a smaller rumped animal with a wider topside would have more value to a producer who was selling freezer beef.
Maybe if you were cutting out every part, and sell it by the cut, like at the grocery store. Just selling whole though on the rail or live, the rump and chuck have the most value, only due to their weight % compared to the other cuts. Most producers would not get the value out of more loin, and rib cuts. So more rump would be desired.

I like them flat and wide across the top and carry their thickness out to the pins. I was looking at a pic of a heifer at the recent Jr Hereford National show. She had a teepee top and a V taper from the hooks to the pins. Not sure how she placed but in my view she lacked what I desire. Another thing I've found if they have some natural thickness throughout they tend to be structurally sound. I recently looked at a top AI sire in the Hereford breed that was a champion and his hind legs touched when he stood still and rubbed as he walked. Not what I prefer. When you sell the calf as a weaner or a feeder you get paid for all of the weight the same. So what the hindquarters weigh bring money also.

Some of yall need to get out a little more...expand your horizons so to speak..........
edited1ChickenFriedSteakAndGravy-030-768x541.jpg

When you sell the calf as a weaner or a feeder you get paid for all of the weight the same. So what the hindquarters weigh bring money also.
Yep.
Total package is what counts. Thick/wide/long /big butt.

greybeard":2kbm9mel said:
Some of yall need to get out a little more...expand your horizons so to speak..........

When you sell the calf as a weaner or a feeder you get paid for all of the weight the same. So what the hindquarters weigh bring money also.
Yep.

+1

On equally conditioned animals is there any data that accurately proves that the nicely rounded rump actually weighs more than one with less than desirable outward visual shape???

Ken

greybeard":35uvtl0s said:

Yep.

There is no such thing a chicken fried except chicken. Food is fried , grilled , smoked and plenty of other cooking methods. Fried cube steak can be country fried but that's it . It's like that flock of chickens out there that doesn't have Bones .

M-5":3l4p7lov said:
greybeard":3l4p7lov said:

Yep.

There is no such thing a chicken fried except chicken. Food is fried , grilled , smoked and plenty of other cooking methods. Fried cube steak can be country fried but that's it . It's like that flock of chickens out there that doesn't have Bones .

I bread mine and fry it just like chicken. And have been told that is where the chicken fried term comes from. Works for me. They will always be chicken fried to me.

elkwc":qr35lk5x said:
M-5":qr35lk5x said:
greybeard":qr35lk5x said:

Yep.

I bread mine and fry it just like chicken. And have been told that is where the chicken fried term comes from. Works for me. They will always be chicken fried to me.
that,whooped taters and biscuits...i don't get full...I have to make myself quit eating..

Maybe the emphasis because the selection pressures on cattle to marble better has "Wagyued" the breeds? Selection has consequences.

elkwc":sxwy4lf6 said:
M-5":sxwy4lf6 said:
greybeard":sxwy4lf6 said:

Yep.

So do you call fried pork chops chicken fried ? how about tomatoes are they chicken fried? lets not forget about chicken fried squash and chicken fried liver and chicken fried chicken . Its all simply FRIED.

ALACOWMAN":3rrb3jjs said:
greybeard":3rrb3jjs said:

wheres the taters.?
Ain't that the truth.....must be M-5s "southern fried". Chicken fried would definitly have taters. :D

Latest posts