Why so many Murray Grey associations in North America?

Help Support CattleToday:

UG

Reaction score
I've noticed that in North America alone there are three main Murray Grey breed associations, not counting all the regional, state, and local MG associations. They are:

American Murray Grey Association
Canadian Murray Grey Association
Murray Grey International Association

I realize that most of the major beef breeds have national associations in both the US and Canada. However, I was surprised to stumble across the "Murray Grey International Association" which seems to have primarily US and Canadian breeders. What is even more interesting is that I noticed that several of the US breeders are members of both the American and International groups.

Would someone please tell me the advantage to belonging to one organization over the other, or why it is in my best interest to belong to both.

It appears that the International group is relatively new (possibly started in 2000 or 2001). What prompted a group of MG breeders to start another breed association when it is getting pretty difficult for most breeds to support even one association?

A few years back there were two Braunvieh associations here in the US. I'm not sure why there were two, but eventually one of the associations closed shop. I'm assume that they closed because there just wasn't enough business to support two offices.

A few years back the American Murray Grey Assoc decided that it was going to go to "whole herd reporting"...which meant that MG breeders would have to pay $10/bred female for the priviledge of getting to register a calf out of her. It didn't matter if that cow ended up having a calf that wasn't worthy of registration (or a dead calf)-breeders were expected to pay for every female in their herd. Many of the AMGA members voiced their opposition to that idea, but unfortunately the leaders didn't listen. As a result, a number of MG breeders decided to split off and form the MG Internation Assoc.
There were a number of other issues that contributed to the split, but that was the big one.

Are animals registered with either association eligible for registration in the other association?

Has splitting the membership, and consequently the income stream to the "American" association, limited either associations's ability to offer all the services needed by purebred breeders today (i.e. EPDs, timely processing of registrations and transfers, breed publication, etc.)?

Murray Grey International (MGI) became Murray Grey International Association (MGIA), this organization was initially formed in response to the mainstream organizations CMGA & AMGA forcing Whole Herd Enrollment (WHE) on the membership as was stated in previous messages. In Canada the only votes permitted on the change were those members present at the annual meeting, therefore there was a grassroots revolt, and the organization was formed. Initially any animal registered in any of the mainstream organizations could be registered in MGIA, as well as the progeny of any of those animals. The mainstream organizations are CMGA(Canada), AMGA(USA), MGBCS(Aus), NZMGBCS(NZ) and the UKMGS(UK). The constitution and registry rules were written such that members from other countries that did not have a registry for Murray Grey cattle would now have a place to register their animals.
I believe only the New Zealand society has agreed to reciporcal recognition of MGIA.
The registery for MGIA is handled through a profesional registry at arm's length to MGIA board and organization. Registry services are only available to members.
MGI (MGIA) has only a mandate to provide accurate and professional registry services to it's members. Any other activities or promotions must be self-funded and managed. Registration and membership fees are delibertly kept to a minimum and are meant to cover the registry fees and the MGIA office overhead.

KEW

Latest posts