Why my truck was running rough

Help Support CattleToday:

JWBrahman

Reaction score
A field mouse thought he found the perfect spot to stash a few pecans during the bad weather. Couldn't figure out why it started running better every time I hit a bump or railroad tracks... :lol2:
WP_001687.jpg

Dirt dobbers and mice can make things difficult. I have one tractor that the bluebirds constantly build nests in the exhaust and they constantly get blown across the barnyard but they keep coming back for more.

Had that happen once with a lawn mower. The mouse had filled the exhaust with seed corn, and when we tried to start it the corn came shooting out. :lol:

When I first bought my truck, the air filter housing was almost jam packed with millet seed. Took a lot of trips to store as much as he did.

JWBrahman":1vrhcb1y said:
A field mouse thought he found the perfect spot to stash a few pecans during the bad weather. Couldn't figure out why it started running better every time I hit a bump or railroad tracks... :lol2:
WP_001687.jpg

After looking at all of those pecans, I'd guess that it was a bushy tailed tree rat (aka squirrel) that has been using your truck for a pantry. :lol2:

The little rascal had figured out that they would stick if he jammed them all in there tight. He probably rolled them around and fitted them to the space so the tension kept them perfectly still.

JWBrahman":1fj2mgmj said:
The little rascal had figured out that they would stick if he jammed them all in there tight. He probably rolled them around and fitted them to the space so the tension kept them perfectly still.
Oh for Petes sake! Smart lil booger! He deserves to have them back! :lol:

Up here we have pack rats.. bushy tailed stinkers.. man are they smart... They figured out how to can berries in jars... A layer of shredded newspaper, a layer of dried leaves, and a layer of berries, repeat until jar is full. They never got the lid figured out though.

At least it wasn't anything major!

Them tree varmits love a wiring harness on a ford! Twice in 4 years. And no mothballs don't keep them out. Mechanic asked please don't do the hot pepper thing, makes it real hard on a mechanic, and will do nothing to the varmit.

presmudjo":91wzyh1m said:
Them tree varmits love a wiring harness on a ford! Twice in 4 years. And no mothballs don't keep them out. Mechanic asked please don't do the hot pepper thing, makes it real hard on a mechanic, and will do nothing to the varmit.

Sounds like you need some cats. I used to have trouble with squirrels chewing the wiring on my company truck and one of our cars. Since we hired several cats, I've not had any more trouble with the little varmints and they sure cut down on the number of snakes too.

presmudjo":663d51i5 said:

Put some poison sticks out for them.......where your critters cannot get to them.

Fly-guy":3mfpi5h7 said:
presmudjo":3mfpi5h7 said:

Sounds like you need some cats. I used to have trouble with squirrels chewing the wiring on my company truck and one of our cars. Since we hired several cats, I've not had any more trouble with the little varmints and they sure cut down on the number of snakes too.
Yeah, but make sure ya beat on the side of your truck before getting in to start it on a cool morning. Cats and fan blades and alternator belts don't mix too well. The belts and fan will win every time--makes a heck of a mess when Garfield goes around the pulley route a couple of times.

greybeard":3jqvrljh said:
Fly-guy":3jqvrljh said:
presmudjo":3jqvrljh said:

Yeah, but make sure ya beat on the side of your truck before getting in to start it on a cool morning. Cats and fan blades and alternator belts don't mix too well. The belts and fan will win every time--makes a heck of a mess when Garfield goes around the pulley route a couple of times.

Just to easy to keep rat bait out.
I would rather have the rat's versus the cat.
Cat walk across my car gets to one time.
Neighbor had a pile of cats moved off and left them, they left at least 50 .
Got to the point I didn't even attempt to start a vehicle without raising the hood.
Live trap, 22lr and Ole Rube solved that problem.

Cat trapping? Several years ago I thought I had a coon that was marking his territory in the back of my pickup. Come to find out there were three different tom cats working it for me and the funny thing about it, I caught them using dog food for bait.

I didn't use to be a cat person but after my wife was bitten by a copperhead we hired several cats to hang out around the house because we heard they would kill snakes. I still think that is a myth but we don't see hardly any snakes or squirrels any more. I think it is because they eat what the snakes eat and the squirrels just don't trust them. :lol2: :lol2: I'm going to have to figure out a way to get them to stay down by the pecan trees that we planted last spring to keep the squirrels away next fall.

We have cats, lots of squirrels, and snakes.
I'm looking for a cat big enough and smart enough to be able to use a garden hoe.......