Why is this a “show heifer”?

Help Support CattleToday:

I see some around here that say that just because of their breeding. They price them so high, we just looked at one a couple months ago for a replacement from some people that show. Heifer was small for her age and rough. They were about 3 times market price.

Could just be a bad pic as I know I am terrible at taking them.

What's the deal with the top line though? How is that even remotely functional?
Don't know, I have no idea what the show folks look for or why. I don't see much functionality in that calf, looks misshapen or standing at a bad angle or both. My opinion showing cattle bred for the pasture or steers from mainstream breeds or crosses is fine but breeding cattle specifically for the show ring is problematic on several levels.

What's the deal with the top line though? How is that even remotely functional?
She's not broke to lead, is fighting the halter. Add to the fact that she has a weak topline to begin with, and that's the look you end up with. I'm guessing she is clubby bred based on hair coat and bone. Her topline may look better in person, or on the move, but she is way too tight gutted to be really competitive.

Probably out of a bull that produces club calves . Picture doesn't flatter her but from what I can see she has good bone and lots of hair . Show folks like the thicker hair coat because you can groom them up and hide flaws .

One of my commercials.
Half Angus quarter Hereford and Brahman.
Two categories 1/2 more or less Brahman.
That's my kind of animal, I'd like her in my paddock.

Show cattle in Australia are judged around fertility and longevity, sometimes they come in straight from paddock and just given a wash, no clipping, can win a show and next day sent back out to the paddock.

That's my kind of animal, I'd like her in my paddock.

Show cattle in Australia are judged around fertility and longevity, sometimes they come in straight from paddock and just given a wash, no clipping, can win a show and next day sent back out to the paddock.
That's how it should be done.

It takes a lot of knowledge to show cattle and be successful at it. It takes even more knowledge and experience to be able to do that and have animals that will be successful in the pasture too. @Fire Sweep Ranch, @Jeanne - Simme Valley are no doubt on that level. The heifer that @Caustic Burno pictured is a good example also. Those are cattle from folks that know how the cattle will likely do in the field.
The other side of the equation is very real too, in that some cattle are bred to show and not much emphasis is placed on actual real world do abilities.
A few years ago, I bought a Santa Gertrudis heifer that was shown. She looked good, but didn't have enough milk to raise a calf, and didn't show much interest in her calf. Have had very similar situations with Charolais from the hot show ring bloodlines of the day. Their milking ability was nonexistent, and just tall long legged things that you couldn't even feed thickness into them. The Charolais that I had that did not have those certain bloodlines in them were all satisfactory to excellent milkers. In more recent years using Angus bulls, I have steered clear of anything associated with show ring as far as breeding stock. I just don't care at all for the cattle that are advertised as having the "show look". I've tried to be careful too when using Polled Hereford genetics too as it seems they rely real heavy on show ring influence and alit of those are just too small framed.

Latest posts