Why is it not cutting

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattleman2002

Reaction score
Made some corn stalks bales last night with a new holland 849 and I can't get the twine to cut why?

Dull/missing/out of adjustment blade. Those are 3 that I've had t ofight over the years.

Also make sure your twine is routed correctly. I had a battle where I couldn't get the twine to start everytime, turned out that somehow the twine got pushed up and around a part of the frame that I couldn't easily see. Also on my baler - if the twin arm is coming down the same time a big wad of hay is going in, sometimes the twin will catch on top of the bottom roller instead of underneath and it won't wrap or cut.

But first thing would be to check everything Dun mentioned.

I hada vicon that had a switch that had to be tripped as the twine arms passed them and it was faulty.

I have an 851 Autowrap that would not cut the string when I first got it. There were a couple of things I tried before I hit on the formula.

First, someone had put serrated blades on the baler. They won't work - or at least not for me. Second thing, when I got the baler it had a partial roll of cheap twine from TSC. Even when I changed the blades it still would not cut the string. I gave up on the cheap orange string from Tractor supply and bought a good bale of blue and white string and the cutter has worked ever since. I can't give you a good reason for that but it worked for me. The blue and white string (and even the red and white) string is much, much stiffer so when it goes over the blade it will cut.

One final thing. The cutter blades are sickle blades on my 851. Mount them with the flat side of the blade against the blade stop (or plate). That seems to help a little, too.

When the twine comes back to the cutter that blade has to be adjusted right, for what ever reason sometimes that will not cut, Both new hollands that I owned were fickle on the string, I found that yellow did not work well where the red worked better. On yellow I had to adjust the blades to cut properly.

Funny how balers are so fickle. If I put the blue or red string in my auto NH650, I'll be out every second or third bale doing a manual re-tie. If I use the limp yellow or orange string, my stringing problems go down 90%.

We used to have a NH 846. I found there is a hook to alight the twine with the blade. It was bent a little and the twine would go past the blade. Also, make sure it is turned the right way to hook the twine.

lucky7chief":cm8ipehd said:
We used to have a NH 846. I found there is a hook to alight the twine with the blade. It was bent a little and the twine would go past the blade. Also, make sure it is turned the right way to hook the twine.
yep and if one of them breaks you can build a new one out of a piece of ALL THREAD

Latest posts