Why is 6yrs old considered "old" for a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

IHeartCows

Reaction score
I read in the Sales section that a 6yo Angus Bull wouldn't sell for much and would be headed to the slaughter pen if sold.

Why is this?

AND

What age is considered "old" for cattle?

Thanks in advance.

Tina

usually the excuse is genetics. many people arent interested in using older (possibly more proven) genetics when they can get a newer bloodline bull.

sometimes older bulls dont perform as well, but a 6 yr old that passes a BSE and has good movement & structure should not have this problem.

Tina
Most of my charlois bulls have been good up to 8 or 9 years old. My limousin bulls have turned mean or rambunctious at about 6 years old. Most people will not buy a 6 year old bull out of the sale barn because at that age, he is ready for temper problems or fence crossing problems when he moves to a new place. Sometimes, people will buy a 6 year old bull at private treaty. Most people want a young bull that will be satisfied to stay with a herd of cows, instead of an older one that wants to show his dominance all over the countryside. That is the reason most all 5 year old and up bulls go to slaughter. I have white parks cows that have steadily produced calves past 15 years old. My angus and hereford crosses havent lasted that long, but 10-12 years is very reasonable to expect. Alot depends on the geography, weather extremes and feed availability over the cow's lifetime.
The sales barns around here tag the cows with an age after checking their mouths. They count the years up to 7 years old and after that they are "Short Solid", which means they have a full set of teeth but they are over 7 years old and the next is "Broken Mouth" which means they have lost at least one tooth and they are older. In most times, there is a big drop off in price between the 7 years old and short solids. Once a cow gets over 5 or 6, she is considered old for the shippers. Once she gets broken mouth, she is considered old by everybody.

Thanks to everyone, all of it makes sense. :D
And thanks Stocky for the information on the broken mouth cows. That's pretty interesting.

The older the bull, the more likely the chance for structural breakdown to occur. All those years of stress by a 2000 lb + animal on the joints with fighting and servicing cows thrown in can cause a catastrophic breakdown of the joints. Once a big bull goes down, it is usually impossible to get him back in shape.

Also bigger bulls price themselves up pretty good in the kill market. Take care Mac.

Being a small operation once the bull has bred the girls twice he has used up his welcome...don't breed to daughters....lots of three year olds for sale in early summer around here. Sure wouldn't want a three year old or older on the heifers anyway
just wouldn't be good to load test the girls. DMc

Not being a bull user, I would think the main issues would be possible structural soundness problems and not knowinf what kind of STDs he may have been exposed to in his previous employment.

dun

One of the biggest reasons is temprament. Once they get to a certain point they seem to realize that they are bigger than you and then they get almost impossible to handle. That, and they seem to get the idea they they can go where they want, when they want. As well, structural problems and size can be an issue especially if you are using him on heifers or small cows. I wouldn't normally consider buying a mature bull for those reasons. The oldest bull we have purchased was 4 and he was coming out of a purebred herd that needed to "change". Was a great bull, and he is still manageable, he is 6 now and we sold him to a friend who really liked him and the calves we were getting out of him.

Two years is the max for us. Reason one is that we almost always want to keep some heifers out of some of the girls.
Reason two is that should they need to be treated they can tear a concrete block building to the ground if they want to. Out vet refuses to tranquilize anything for any reason other than a person in immediate danger of being harmed by an animal such as was the case at our county fair this year.

Latest posts