Why I carry a gun....

Help Support CattleToday:

And freedomg of speech had to do with personal contact and reading whatever news paper was available. Not radio, tv, movies, internet, etc.

alftn":1rd4r09z said:
I just think Americans have a unhealthy LOVE for GUNS

I don't think LOVE Is the problem.

LOVE is never the problem, whether it be a relationship or guns....

when it becomes an OBSESSION is when it becomes a problem.

When you step over the boundaries of NORMAL, then it is a problem!!

I'd rather have access to my legally owned gun when I come home and find the neighbor's dogs dragging down a newborn colt or calf, then wait an hour for the deputy to show up!

I don't carry, but I want my RIGHT to defend my family, my life, my country, and my property... LEGALLY.

alftn":22ilakaf said:
4 weeks ago, a 18 year old son of a Wild life officer that is in our circle, ( the 18 year old has been taught guns his whole life, and is a good boy) took his father pistol over to his high school buddy house, Him and his frind were playing around with this unloaded pistol... Needless to say the pistol was loaded and the 18 year old blew his friends head off....

I know the 18 year old will be sorry for his deed his whole life.......The other boy was killed....

Any 18 year old isn't a child (reguardless of what Mommy and Daddy think) and ought to know better that to act out like that. AND he wasn't "playing around with an unloaded pistol"! Repercussions are what they are and another person lost his life over it. Years ago retribution would be found at the end of a rope, "accident" or not. What will it be in todays time?

We had a sad occurrence just yesterday. A retired engineer and his wife, ages 72 and 70 met a potential buyer of their second car. They wanted to sell the car to lower their monthly costs. They met the buyer in a public place during rush hour. Safe, huh? Not hardly, he forced both of them into a nearby business and shot and killed husband and wife. Would this have occurred if he had been armed? I doubt it!

I'm with HOSS on this one. My wife and I both carry...and, we both have larger calibers! We also practice monthly. Both of us are small and need an equalizer should the need arise, especially when wife travels alone on business. We are mentally prepared...

The best "safety" on a gun is MENTAL and SITUATIONAL AWARENESS! A "bad guy" should never get closer than 15 or 20 feet from you...yes, there are "signs" to watch for. Also, unless your job requires you to be in dangerous or marginal environments, stay away from them! Keep vehicle doors locked when in vehicle.

In our area, there are probably 15 or 20 arrests made each month for drugs, break & entering, etc. On a rare occasion one of the "10 Most Wanted" is thought to be around or coming through the Texas Panhandle region.

We also have coyotes, skunks, badgers around here...one or two counties over...wild feral hogs. And, on a rare occasion a deer will get caught in and severely injured on a barbwire fence...

In conclusion, "West Texas" is Farm & Ranch country...probably at least 2 guns for each resident around here...

;-)

Very well stated by Running Arrow Bill regards to distance of encounters and the like. I am a NRA pistol instructor and that is along the lines that we teach for the training class for concealed pistol applicants.

If you are scared, just say you are......

And yes the 72 year old man, if he had a gun, things would probly turned out the same...

The gun does give you a sence of safty.. real or false, it makes you feel better....

alftn":2w03csfa said:

And yes the 72 year old man, if he had a gun, things would probly turned out the same...

The gun does give you a sence of safty.. real or false, it makes you feel better....

I respect everyone's opinion. That is their choice, their right as a human being.

That said,

There have been numerous reports of 60, 70, 80 year old people (as well as handicapped and wheelchair bound people) who have successfully defended themselves with a gun from a perpetrator who invaded their space, their home, etc. The bottomline is first of all "Situational Awareness" and the ability to recognize "Condition green, yellow, orange, and red" and take appropriate action.

Anti-gun people have their opinion and their rights. Pro-gun people have their opinion and their rights.

Idiot kids and idiot adults will always be out there and do something stupid, with or without guns, etc. In a perfect world, nut cases would keep to themselves and the sane cases would do their thing.

If a feral hog (or) some nut comes after me...I don't want just a camera to record the event. I want to be judged by 12, not carried by 6.

LazyARanch":ddtmfqcq said:
alftn":ddtmfqcq said:

I'd rather have access to my legally owned gun when I come home and find the neighbor's dogs dragging down a newborn colt or calf, then wait an hour for the deputy to show up!

I don't carry, but I want my RIGHT to defend my family, my life, my country, and my property... LEGALLY.
Very good distinction between love and obsession. :clap: :clap:
I also am wiith you on the RIGHT to defend.

alftn":2ilp3158 said:

Why use the word "scared"? That is a demeaning buzzword in a somewhat leading question.
Let me put it this way, Do you carry insurance on your home, car, your health? If so, would you call yourself scared? Would not 'prudent' be a better word?
I will say that at times to have a gun at hand can be a real comfort.

Ryder":wshzma88 said:
LazyARanch":wshzma88 said:
alftn":wshzma88 said:

Very good distinction between love and obsession. :clap: :clap:
I also am wiith you on the RIGHT to defend.

When Americans give up their guns they will become subjects of the government like most of the world. Today we are still a citizen. There have been two documents written in blood the Bible by Christians persecuted to death and the US Constitution by Christians refusing to be persecuted by tyrantacal goverments any longer.

Running Arrow Bill":387x9pjl said:
There have been numerous reports of 60, 70, 80 year old people (as well as handicapped and wheelchair bound people) who have successfully defended themselves with a gun from a perpetrator who invaded their space, their home, etc.

I pity the person that tries to harm my 71 year old mother. She has carried a 32-20 revolver my whole life and probably hers. She can knock a chigger off a fly's ass at thirty paces with it.

We are the Goverment, the people...The cops Work fo us...

I am not saing there is never a reason to carry a gun, but most people that carries a gun ARE SCARED.......

Of the GOVERMENT wild hogs, bear, etc....
DRUG DEALERS
AND MY OLD TIME FAV.....(THEM) and so many more....

AND YES GUNS CAN CHANGE THE OUT COME OF A EVENT....FOR THE GOOD AND TO THE BAD...

I do not give a rats but or fling fick, there are way to many unqualified, poorly trained people that have permits to have a hidden gun.....that is the main problem ...

alftn":2md471fm said:

I am not saing there is never a reason to carry a gun, but most people that carries a gun ARE SCARED.......

DRUG DEALERS

AND YES GUNS CAN CHANGE THE OUT COME OF A EVENT....FOR THE GOOD AND TO THE BAD...

I do not give a rats but or fling fick, there are way to many unqualified, poorly trained people that have permits to have a hidden gun.....that is the main problem ...

Sounds like good encouragement to be a good citizen and stay out of other folk's business. They might be poorly trained but you'd still be dead.

TexasBred":lmrbw9ko said:
alftn":lmrbw9ko said:

DRUG DEALERS

Sounds like good encouragement to be a good citizen and stay out of other folk's business. They might be poorly trained but you'd still be dead.

A coherent and well made point. Thanks TB

alftn":3gswly4k said:
Frist of all I must say, I reather be judged by 12 than be carried by 6......

2nd... The 2nd amendment was talking ( less be real) about six feet long smooth bore flint lock rifles....I do not have a problem with that...But if you think you can carry a Back pack Nuke...Wrong...or RPG, Or machine gun.....

3 rd...4 weeks ago, a 18 year old son of a Wild life officer that is in our circle, ( the 18 year old has been taught guns his whole life, and is a good boy) took his father pistol over to his high school buddy house, Him and his frind were playing around with this unloaded pistol... Needless to say the pistol was loaded and the 18 year old blew his friends head off....

I know the 18 year old will be sorry for his deed his whole life.......The other boy was killed....

Let's replace the word gun and pistol with hunting knife. Your post would look something like this.....

3 rd...4 weeks ago, a 18 year old son of a Wild life officer that is in our circle, ( the 18 year old has been taught about knives his whole life, and is a good boy) took his father's knife over to his high school buddy house, Him and his frind were playing around with this hunting knife... Needless to say the knife was sharp and the 18 year old cut his friends head off....

I just think Americans have a unhealthy LOVE for KNIVES.

Both guns and knives are inatimate objects and both can kill if misused and many humans have lost their lives to both. If it had happened with a knife would you have posted it as a response to a thread called "why I carry a knife"?

When you are a young buck , You resist anybody pushing you around.
When you get so old as to not be able to worry too many young bucks then you need something else to rely on.
Notice not someone else because they don´t care about you or yours like you do.
Something else to give you a chance against intimidation

You guys are lucky over there to have held on to the right to arm yourself.
Most others in the world are made criminals if they try.
Thats from personal experience

Latest posts