Why Hereford Sires Will Dominate

Help Support CattleToday:

grannysoo":32boognb said:
HerefordSire":32boognb said:
MTTA016_P_L.jpg

That's a good looking bull my friend....

Now I need help. Why is the bull pictured above such a good bull compared to the one George posted a link to here: http://www.ultimategenetics.com/listing/index.php?animalid=395&breed=Hereford&country=

It is a good photo taken with low angle rear light to show off his muscling and good coloring but the rear depth of this bull doesn't seem as good as the one in the link.

Not being critical, I'm trying to learn something here. Jim

RD-Sam":sq9xfcbu said:
3waycross":sq9xfcbu said:
hillsdown":sq9xfcbu said:
And the point of this thread is what ?????????? It means NOTHING >>>>>>>>>> Post some pics of your cattle with links to their actual pedigree ,,,with your herd name and prefix as well. If not stop wasting our time.

Oh wait, sorry, my b%tchness is coming out again. My badddddd... :cowboy:

No you just said what we are all thinking.

Herefordsire you either have a dog in this fight or you don't. Hillsdown is right on with the concept of it's time to put up or shut up.

Now let's see those Herefords.

I have to agree, put up or shut up. Lets see some pics.

Cant show any pics....

He is playing internet farmer on a message board?
Bet HS laughs himself to sleep every evening, because its so easy to snow a bunch of farmers with the name feltons and EPD's

grannysoo":2ftao7b8 said:
HerefordSire":2ftao7b8 said:

What do you like best about him? Here's what I like, length, topline,shoulders,color,pigmentation.

I can easily tell you what I don't like. His lack of depth,spring of rib,legs like a girafe,lack of guts and possibly nuts, or his pencil A$$. Or maybe like the rest of us you are overly impressed with the fact that he is a first cousin to the BIL of a son of a gr grandaughter of a bull who once passed by a pasture where the Australian mother of a cousin of one of Herefordsires never seen cows was being bred by a tasmanian hereford goat?

I personally go with Hillsdowns position that pics and pedigrees TALK and bulshyt WALKS. I KNOW he's got cows, why not post a few take his beating, or Kudos like the rest of us and get on with it?

grannysoo":3gihciiq said:
HerefordSire":3gihciiq said:

His calves theoretically should generate almost a double in Austrailia when measuring gross revenue against the Austrailian bull average calves.

SELECTION INDEX VALUES

Market Target.....Index Value.....Breed Average
Supermarket.........+$97............+$ 57
Grass Fed Steer......+$92............+$ 51
Grain Fed Steer......+$102...........+$ 56
EU..................... +$117...........+$ 65

Money talks. Visuals sometimes walk..

Supermarket Index ($) - Estimates the genetic differences between animals in net profitability per cow joined for an example commercial herd targeting the domestic supermarket trade. Steers are either finished on grass or grain (eg 50-70 days). Steers are assumed marketed at 450 kg live weight (250k g HSCW and 12 mm P8 fat depth) at 17 months of age. Daughters are retained for breeding. In response to industry feedback regarding eating quality and tenderness, a small premium has been placed on marbling.

Grass Fed Steer Index ($) - Estimates the genetic differences between animals in net profitability per cow joined for an example commercial herd targeting pasture finished steers. Steers are assumed marketed at 600 kg live weight (330 kg HSCW and 8 mm P8 fat depth) at 23 months of age. Daughters are retained for breeding. In response to industry feedback regarding eating quality and tenderness, a small premium has been placed on marbling.

Grain Fed Steer Index ($) - Estimates the genetic differences between animals in net profitability per cow joined for an example commercial herd targeting pasture grown steers with a 125 day feedlot finishing period for the grain fed markets. Steers are assumed marketed at 600 kg live weight (330 kg HSCW and 20 mm P8 fat) at 20 months of age. Daughters are retained for breeding. There is a significant premium if steers reach a marble score of 2 or greater.

EU Index ($) - Estimates the genetic differences between animals in net profitability per cow joined for an example commercial herd targeting pasture finished steers for the EU market. Steers are assumed marketed at 620 kg live weight (340 kg HSCW and 14 mm P8 fat depth) at 24 months of age. Daughters are retained for breeding. There is no marbling requirement.

Well that pretty much settles it for me. I know when I'm whipped. You can go back to impressing your fans here. ALL THREE OF THEM!

Wait what do I smell it's bulshyt from the owner of the Emperors new COWS.

3waycross":1wfhvxrc said:
No offense but to me he looks like he is not a balanced bull. Definately does not have much capacity.

Hi 3waycross! If the bull had your preferred capacity and kept his extreme length,would his calves be worth more money or less?

RD-Sam":3jkrw8iw said:
Well, there you have it, no guts, no butt, and no nutts. That butt reminded me of looking at some of my angus. :lol2:

Hi RD-Sam! The scrotum size appears to be sufficient and is inline with his genetic pedigree representing fertility. I cannot view his rump clearly from the photo. This is the third post I am replying to regarding the lack of capacity which could represent he has a high metabolism rate. Therefore, if he had a rump and he had a gut while keeping his extreme length, would his market steers bring more money or less?

HerefordSire":3bpn8br5 said:
3waycross":3bpn8br5 said:
No offense but to me he looks like he is not a balanced bull. Definately does not have much capacity.

Hi 3waycross! If the bull had your preferred capacity and kept his extreme length,would his calves be worth more money or less?

Can you spell hard keeper. My prefered capacity is for a bull or cow for that matter who can eat themselves full and go lay down and ruminate(hence the name) That toothpaste tube needs to eat 24/7,if that means metablic rate to you then call it what you want.

BTW his length is not EXTREME.

3waycross":2ag1kzj3 said:
HerefordSire":2ag1kzj3 said:
3waycross":2ag1kzj3 said:

Can you spell hard keeper. My prefered capacity is for a bull or cow for that matter who can eat themselves full and go lay down and ruminate(hence the name) That toothpaste tube needs to eat 24/7,if that means metablic rate to you then call it what you want.

and hereford being good range cattle,,,who would want replacemants from a pencil gutted bull

SRBeef":1xyu403k said:
grannysoo":1xyu403k said:
HerefordSire":1xyu403k said:

Now I need help. Why is the bull pictured above such a good bull compared to the one George posted a link to here: http://www.ultimategenetics.com/listing/index.php?animalid=395&breed=Hereford&country=

It is a good photo taken with low angle rear light to show off his muscling and good coloring but the rear depth of this bull doesn't seem as good as the one in the link.

Hello Jim! Hope you are doing well.

When I was performing research on profit indices, I happened to be browsing Austrailia's Hereford database and ran across a striking photo of a bull. The quality of the photo first got my attention. I realized there was something unusal about the photo but I wasn't sure what it was right away. I performed further research. He has about 64 calves in the database and he is a four year old bull. Semen is $40 per straw (not sure of the dollar conversion). The semen advertisement mentioned low BW and high WW. This bull, along with Rib Eye, M326, T21, Novatech's question bull, and my core foundation cows, share similar genetics and in each case, the animals are believed to be extremely long which could help in the ease of birth deliveries which is very important to full time off-farm cattlemen.

SRBeef":r1tgaju3 said:
grannysoo":r1tgaju3 said:
HerefordSire":r1tgaju3 said:

Jim, I should point out that I don't think that picture of the "Ben" bull, whose link I posted, is a particularly flattering one. I've seen the bull in person numerous times and I am basing my recommendation on seeing him in person, his calves, his dam, and the EPDs he's developed....not the EPDs that he started out with.

He's a bull with tremendous extra capacity, who surprisingly has also proven to be a calving ease sire. His first daughters are proving to be good mothers, which completes his worth as a proven sire for me.

George

3waycross":1wscu7dw said:
What do you like best about him? Here's what I like, length, topline,shoulders,color,pigmentation.

I can easily tell you what I don't like. His lack of depth,spring of rib,legs like a girafe,lack of guts and possibly nuts, or his pencil A$$. Or maybe like the rest of us you are overly impressed with the fact that he is a first cousin

I really don't care who his cousin is or any of his other relatives. As he is now, I like everything that you have mentioned. A good feed program would take care of the guts, butts, and nuts.

Number crunching is fine and good, but I would not ever buy a cow sight unseen, based upon the numbers. To me, this is just a good looking bull. Good points and bad. Nothing more, nothing less.

SRBeef":22qcvh2w said:
grannysoo":22qcvh2w said:
HerefordSire":22qcvh2w said:

I was not trying to compare this bull to anything. Once again, just a simple statement that to me, this is a good looking bull.....

3waycross":1nbo5etl said:
I can easily tell you what I don't like. His lack of depth,spring of rib,legs like a girafe,lack of guts and possibly nuts, or his pencil A$$. Or maybe like the rest of us you are overly impressed with the fact that he is a first cousin to the BIL of a son of a gr grandaughter of a bull who once passed by a pasture where the Australian mother of a cousin of one of Herefordsires never seen cows was being bred by a tasmanian hereford goat?

3waycross....I think this post deserves special attention because it was hillarious. I don't think there is anything wrong with humor as long as someone is not offended. Thanks for making me laugh. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

3waycross":5jxakwci said:
HerefordSire":5jxakwci said:
3waycross":5jxakwci said:

3waycross...If the bull had your preferred capacity and kept his length,would his market steers be worth more money or less?

alacattleman":9tphl0xq said:
and hereford being good range cattle,,,who would want replacemants from a pencil gutted bull

Hi Bammy! Good reply. Maybe high capacity Angus cows that have too much FAT? Would it be possible to increase profit using this bull with high capacity Angus cows to generete BWF cows that are generally more fertile and live longer than both Angus and Hereford cows?

Latest posts