Why don't cattle people like TPP?

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess I don't believe that everything is propaganda either. It may not benefit the "little guy", I don't know. But it sure seems like it would have sold more beef. Not sure how that's bad for anyone on these boards.....

I can't recall all the numbers but TTP didn't create an equal playing field for 15 years for US beef. Australian beef makes up 59% of the beef imported into Japan. The tarrif on US beef is +10% more than the beef imported from Australia. We just need the same tarrif as every other country. Our beef is the best the world and people are willing and do pay more for US beef.
But enough is enough.

True Grit Farms":2k0j28cn said:
I can't recall all the numbers but TTP didn't create an equal playing field for 15 years for US beef. Australian beef makes up 59% of the beef imported into Japan. The tarrif on US beef is +10% more than the beef imported from Australia. We just need the same tarrif as every other country. Our beef is the best the world and people are willing and do pay more for US beef.
But enough is enough.

That's my point. If you read the TPP, it was going to correct that and have quite a substantial reduction in US beef imports to Japan to single digits. But we walked away from it. I understand if maybe we should have walked away when you look at it in it's totality, but from a beef perspective it had to help.

angus9259":xgvjq8vf said:
True Grit Farms":xgvjq8vf said:
But enough is enough.

That's my point. If you read the TPP, it was going to correct that and have quite a substantial reduction in US beef imports to Japan to single digits. But we walked away from it. I understand if maybe we should have walked away when you look at it in it's totality, but from a beef perspective it had to help.

I agree with that assessment. We needed a better deal from the start, put the US of A first.

Look at the whole TPP deal. Was it good for the country as a whole. I would much rather Americans have jobs so they could buy our beef than a free pass for folks from other countries to come in to our country and take jobs.

True Grit Farms":38sjrjav said:
TennesseeTuxedo":38sjrjav said:
Look for the Trump Pacific Partnership to pass by the end of the year.

It's all about branding baby!

Our financial future is brighter with this POTUS making the deals for US.
Amen!

True Grit Farms":397bm10w said:
http://mobile.globalmeatnews.com/Livestock/US-beef-growing-in-Japan

Here's why. That's all propaganda by BEEF, and NCBA. These organizations are not working for the small producers. Don't believe anything you read and only half of what you see. Do some research on the beef tarrif in other countries.

+1

Red Bull Breeder":3b9hfrxp said:
Look at the whole TPP deal. Was it good for the country as a whole. I would much rather Americans have jobs so they could buy our beef than a free pass for folks from other countries to come in to our country and take jobs.

If you look at the trade deficit by category agriculture is a rare bright spot. That means we can produce something here and sell it abroad. Problem is that so few industries produce product cheap enough. I know that's stating the obvious. I understand there are instances of bad trade deals for us but at the end of the day we (the rest of the US) need to cut costs.

Because most people don't produce soy beans or jumbo jets, nor are they full time cattlemen, and so their off farm jobs are being exported to lower cost countries. This has been going on long enough that many people resent it and voted Trump.

Time will tell but at this point and from a ranching standpoint I'm glad Canada managed to get in on the TPP. It is undeniable that Canadian beef is the best in the world, so as the playing field levels it should open markets and raise the value of the Canadian beef carcass. Every extra cent we can get for offal and hide is more value, and that has to be good for us. Diversity in markets can't be a bad thing.

jehosofat":293fef9o said:
Silver":293fef9o said:
It is undeniable that Canadian beef is the best in the world

I don't buy that statement.

Neither do I and we are in the TPP as well, we will give you a run for your money.

I was reading the other day that although you have access to these markets like China with reduced tarriffs or what ever that only limited beef is eligible as it has to come through certain accredited processing plants.

Ken

wbvs58":21nqa4q2 said:
jehosofat":21nqa4q2 said:
Silver":21nqa4q2 said:
It is undeniable that Canadian beef is the best in the world

I don't buy that statement.

Neither do I and we are in the TPP as well, we will give you a run for your money.

I was reading the other day that although you have access to these markets like China with reduced tarriffs or what ever that only limited beef is eligible as it has to come through certain accredited processing plants.

Ken

This is interesting. I made that statement mostly because True Grit made about the same statement and no one called him on it so rather than dispute it made the same claim. He gets off the hook and I get called on it.. strange....

Canada definitely has good beef, I don't think I said it's the best though. Australia also has good beef, the higher percentage of Angus the better the beef on average.

Latest posts