Why does my Angus Bull have a blond tail?

Help Support CattleToday:

They go in the water to cool off! Black cattle get hotter (because of their color) and need to cool off. Brahman cattle are able to tolerate the heat much better because they are able to sweat - not so with angus. I would have to look at the breeds page but I think Gerts also have the ability to sweat.

Mid to high 90s here all week.. My cattle sure aren't used to it. We normally get a day here and there of high temps. But not day after day. My fatter black heifers are always the first ones laying down off to the side some where, but I don't see it in the black bulls, or even the black heifers that only have a white spot on their forehead. I haven't decided if its the all black, or the fatness in those animals.. But its always the same all black ones that mind the heat first.

A few weeks back when we had temps around 107F my cows HATED getting hit by the sprinklers.. it was like the sprinklers were an electric fence.. I had to get them across it and I really had to chase the heck out of one of them to get her to go. Perhaps if they saw other cows in the water they'd go, but I think it would take them a while to figure it out themselves.

I'm certain other breeds can sweat.. my cows do quite alright being in full sun when it's 105F in the shade (of course they'll pick shade if they can get it).. I check the waterers many times a day in that weather though. They wouldn't survive long if they couldn't sweat in that kind of heat.

My young bull has 1/8th hereford in him, and he's got white socks on his hind legs, and a VERY prominent white tail switch... it's really easy to spot him, and somehow it seems to be unusually clean all the time, making it that much more noticable

You mean their might be something other in those Angus besides Angus.....careful the Angus Mafia on this board will be after you!!

Latest posts