Why does my Angus Bull have a blond tail?

Help Support CattleToday:

Kell-inKY

Reaction score
I don't know what he could have gotten into, I have not been spraying any chemicals, the fly rub is nothing special, he spends as much time in the pond as everyone else? Could he have sat in urine too long and the ammonia bleached it? Wish I had a better pic, didn't notice it at first but the wife sure did. He did not start out this way just so you know, maybe the guy that sold him to me had him dyed black! (I've had him a year now BTW)

8358-grass7.jpg

He's not all Angus? Holstein, Amerifax, etc. back in behind him?
I'm just kidding (sort of). Don't know what the AAA requires... but some white is acceptable in that breed...within limits.

Here's one popular Angus bull who has what looks to be a white/gray tailswitch - but there's one photo on the page where it's either been dyed or photoshopped in black - and I've seen the main photo in other places with the tailswitch photoshopped black.
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... e=1AN01224

I've seen a number of so-called "Black Angus" with white tail switches, white spots on the belly,white udders and white around the scrotal area.

I always wondered about it, but have been told that some amount of white is acceptable.

It's pretty common actually. My Brangus can start out without a speck of white anywhere, and as they get older have their tail switch start to lighten. On my older cows, it is grey hair!
Any scar has the potential to grow in white also. Freeze brands are a good example, and saddle sores on a dark horse.
Maybe he even got his tail switch stepped on and pulled out, causing it to grow back in white. For what ever reason, I sure wouldn't worry about it. :D

I see more white on brangus, than angus, but I've seen my fair share on both. I always figured there was something in the wood pile.

Mine go in and stand there half way up their stomach if given the chance. Feels good I imagine, to be a big fat cow in cool water and take some weight off.

Yesterday around 630 they all came out of the woods most went in and walked in the water nearly neck deep the 300 yards to the other end of the pond where they came out into the shaded area to graze for the evening. Not a good pic but you can see some in the distance in the water. they do this most every day.

I've got one that swims, actually swims across all the time. Flies don't bite underwater either, but I can't imagine how hot an angus gets right now. Here is a bad pic I snapped of a bald eagle eating our fish on the other side of the pond, we aren't even close to a river, don't know why he was here?

11403136_10203314802909431_7493607637453178424_n.jpg

Our cows love to being in ponds more than in the shades....less flies is my guess. It doesn't matter what color the cows are, because my red cows are in ponds too.

3 year old registered Angus bull.
I bought him from my uncle, just down the road. 100 percent black or black w/f calves, out of every color cow.
Now there can always be something back in the wood pile. But I'm confident he's pretty solid.

Never really noticed the white switch until I read this thread. :cboy:

greybeard":1gz60kfl said:
Mine have never gone any closer to the water than needed to get a drink. Not the chars or the beefmasters.

That's unbelievable, I mean I believe you. But I've never been around cattle that don't go for a dip when it gets hot.
What the he'll you got living in your tank. ;-)

fenceman":2khdr23w said:
greybeard":2khdr23w said:
Mine have never gone any closer to the water than needed to get a drink. Not the chars or the beefmasters.

That's unbelievable, I mean I believe you. But I've never been around cattle that don't go for a dip when it gets hot.
Puranas!! Them Texas Puranas! :mrgreen:

branguscowgirl":3lqcs0ad said:
fenceman":3lqcs0ad said:
greybeard":3lqcs0ad said:

Puranas!! Them Texas Puranas! :mrgreen:

I was thinking gators. 8)

None of the cows that I have now will go into the pond to cool off. Every pasture has a pond. These are primarily Brahman and Brahman influence females, and Charolais and Hereford bulls.

When we had more Angus/Hereford cows, and an Angus bull, they lived in the pond. Calves got upset not being able to nurse when they wanted to nurse because mom's in the pond up to her neck.

Just an observation, not sure why.

LauraleesFarm":2lvkpy7k said:
None of the cows that I have now will go into the pond to cool off. Every pasture has a pond. These are primarily Brahman and Brahman influence females, and Charolais and Hereford bulls.

When we had more Angus/Hereford cows, and an Angus bull, they lived in the pond. Calves got upset not being able to nurse when they wanted to nurse because mom's in the pond up to her neck.

Just an observation, not sure why.
Brahman influence gives them more tolerance to heat as well as the charolais being white. But I've noticed my brangus would go in the pond sometimes as well. I think most cows just enjoy it.

My cows and bull live in my pond this time of year, they seem to always take a dip from around 4-6 pm daily