Why does a guy get a heifer that beats a calf?!

Help Support CattleToday:

Till-Hill

Reaction score
Long story short I forgot about this heifer. We (at dairy farm) keep our beef cross heifers back. Couple years ago had an Angus x Holstein calve just fine with heifer calf but bunted it, kicked it so back took alot hair of her head (that resulting heifer is a great mother but is Simmental sired) Brought the Angus x Holstein home and milked her and bred her Limmy. What a mistake that was today when the Limmy calved. Found calf out in the yard pounded into the slop cow's head was just covered in manure. Had an Angus heifer calf too so I put her in shed and just let her out and that dang Limmy sired thing just pounded her too.

All morning I blamed myself that if yard was clean maybe it been ok but yes still my fault for keeping her with her dam's history but why the heck do some of them do that?! Kicked her out with uncalved cows and she bellering and pawing at the gate to get that other calf yet.

We had one that did that. We put her in the chute a couple of times a day and let the calf nurse. As soon as she was out she would start pounding the calf. She had done fine with her first calf, but didn;t want anything (other to kill it) with the second calf. She went to the kill pen at the sale barn and the vet bought her daughter for a bottle calf for his daughter. She is now 8 years old and has raised a dandy calf every year with no repeats of her mothers antics.

Some are freaks, some seem genetically predisposed for it, and sometimes it's just an odd ball. I have one that's mean as a witch when she calves, and all her daughters have been perfectly civil. Another cow is a 12 year old now, BIG cow, she gets SOOO excited when she calves you wonder how the calf can survive it.. she licks it alright, but she throws it around, up the manure pile, down the other side, back up again.. Nothing I can do about it, I ain't going in there so she can do the same with me.

Did the calf survive? did she have twins? I can't quite make out what happened there.

Sorry I a bad story teller when I type.

Limmy heifer killed her calf today. The mother Angus holstein and this Limmy were both bottle babies.

The Angus Holstein first daughter she didn't take the Simmental sired one I bottle fed with beef cows and she stole from them all year and she is a great mother.

Crap deal. We sold some cows last year and I wish I could have remembered then about this one and shipped her.

Like people of walmart.. some just aren't cut out to be parents.. sucks to have lost the calf, but it sounds like it would have been dangerous to your health to try and do anything about it even.

Some heifers are goofy at being a new mother. Had a heifer that tried to kill her first calf, I ended up give her a stick every time she kick her calf. She finally figured out she is supposed to be a mother.

That said, if Limmy is my heifer I would shipping her out after she killed her calf.

Yes she will be shipped asap. Kicked her out tho to make sure she don't kill another one for now. Trailer coming Friday or Sunday to get 10 dairy cows. She will be on that load for sure!

Had one Charolais x dairy cross cow, which was aggressive to her first three calves, but let us milk her without any kicking. All three her first calves were bottle fed. However, she did well with her 4th calf, became a good mom, so she stayed here. Now she's 13 years old, going to calve next month. But probably gonna be culled this year due to her age. Have two her daughters, one is the 3rd calver, another is 5th calver, both good moms.
Didn't had any problems with other cows yet.

lithuanian farmer":v7tqhdcb said:
Had one Charolais x dairy cross cow, which was aggressive to her first three calves, but let us milk her without any kicking. All three her first calves were bottle fed. However, she did well with her 4th calf, became a good mom, so she stayed here. Now she's 13 years old, going to calve next month. But probably gonna be culled this year due to her age. Have two her daughters, one is the 3rd calver, another is 5th calver, both good moms.
:shock: I will never understand why someone would keep a cow that didn't raise her own calf for 3 years. I knew someone that has a pet Brahman cow that won't mother her own calf. She just had her sixth calf and still rejected it. The owner didn't care as he has a nurse cow that can raise the rejected calf.

Muddy":1ixipdki said:
lithuanian farmer":1ixipdki said:
:shock: I will never understand why someone would keep a cow that didn't raise her own calf for 3 years. I knew someone that has a pet Brahman cow that won't mother her own calf. She just had her sixth calf and still rejected it. The owner didn't care as he has a nurse cow that can raise the rejected calf.
It was the very start of our farming and actually that cow was our the first one. We didn't had much of money, so every extra calf was needed. Now everything is different. Have a number of cows and can afford culling one or another for not health-related reasons.

I had one that miscarried 3 sets of twins in a row... every year right around when she miscarried I'd have some other calf that needed a mother, and she was good at adopting, so she got to stay.. after the 3rd set I put her on a truck gambling I wouldn't need her services anymore, and I was right. I have no use for bat shyt crazy mommas here.

Latest posts