Why do you show?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Hey y'all. So I've never shown before and I would really like to get into it with my yearling heifer this year. The problem is I'm having a hard time convincing Dad to let me. He's doesn't see a reason for it. So, I'm wondering why all of you show? I want to show him that there can be benefits to showing and that it isn't a completely pointless thing. Thanks!!!

We have always shown our own breeding heifers, from National shows to the county fair. My family sees it as a promotional thing. Like this year after doing extremely well at the State fair, I had several people ask me where I bought my heifer and I proudly told them she was bred and owned by me. You could maybe try that out on your dad...

Plus, you get to meet a lot of people, other breeders, people involved in the industry, its a good way to network.

My kids show and support their own projects. The profits are going toward college, their first car and like I did..... their first house. Not only that, but we get the benefit of doing what we love to do as a family and I stress the word FAMILY. We go to jackpots and show at our county fair.
Since we don't breed our own animals, we buy them from auctions. But if you breed your own animals then that is just icing on the cake. It's a wonderful way to promote your ranch/farm and learn another way to market your herd.

Also as a Mom, just the fact that you are interested in showing would be good enough for me. I would go to the end of the world and back for my kids, maybe he just needs to see that you really want this and researching is a great way of proving you're serious about showing.

Good luck :D

We show simmentals, and at our regionals and nationals, there are many more competitions than just the cattle show. My kids compete in public speaking, cattlemen's quiz, skill-a-thon, sales talk, and showmanship. It is very educational and they (me,too) have learned a LOT!! They have also gained a lot of experience speaking in front of others, and have made friends from all over the country. There is so much more to it than just showing cows, depending on how involved you want to be. I think it is a very worthwhile thing to do!
Good Luck.

lovecows":2b0v5ilm said:
We show simmentals, and at our regionals and nationals, there are many more competitions than just the cattle show. My kids compete in public speaking, cattlemen's quiz, skill-a-thon, sales talk, and showmanship. It is very educational and they (me,too) have learned a LOT!! They have also gained a lot of experience speaking in front of others, and have made friends from all over the country. There is so much more to it than just showing cows, depending on how involved you want to be. I think it is a very worthwhile thing to do!
Good Luck.
That is true lovecows, becoming a junior member of a breed association or a junior cattlemen's group (we have one in our state) gives you opportunities to show, and also learn a lot. When I was still eligible for junior cattlemen's, we went to a packing plant and learned about the workings of that, had several speech/presentation contests, had industry speakers come in, got points for showing at sanctioned shows and at the end of the year got prizes, etc. It's the same for national jr. associations for the most part.

So basically my best bet is so try and sell it to Dad as a promotional tool? Because I'm 21 and in college so I'm can't show Junior, 4-H, or FFA (which there wasn't an FFA chapter at my high school so that wasn't an option anyway).

blackbaldiecowgirl":1qz6vwnu said:
So basically my best bet is so try and sell it to Dad as a promotional tool? Because I'm 21 and in college so I'm can't show Junior, 4-H, or FFA (which there wasn't an FFA chapter at my high school so that wasn't an option anyway).
Ya. I'm 22 now and that's why we continue to show. You can take the heifer to open shows, usually there's a state fair open show or shows at farm shows. When we've shown at places like these, we get offers to buy the cattle we're showing or we get people who want to come to our place to look at the rest of the cattle. So sell him on that.

I would say u are in the right direction. ;-)

At 21 it warms my :heart: to see ya still value your parents opinion. That speaks volumes about you as an adult.

Showing will also give you another incentive to keep improving your herd, also give you more options and ideas to help mold your own business into something you/he can be proud of.

Let dad know you want to spread your wings and try something new and exciting, that you are proud of his/your animals and would like a chance at letting other people see your stock by presenting them at open shows.

I hope he takes this leap with you, it can give you both something to look forward to.
It's another adventure the two of you can share, whether you win or loose...... it's the quality time, together, that can't be replaced.
Ill be pulling for ya, good luck

Thanks. We are going camping this weekend so it will be nice and relaxed with nothing crazy going on around here like usual so I figure it will be a good chance to sit him down and ask him. I'm going to try and talk to Mom first and see if I can't get her on my side which always helps. :D I'll let y'all know how it goes and if it goes well, I'll post some pics of the heifer to get everyone's opinion on her. I've went through a little bit of an adventure with her when she was born and I think I've got Dad to keep her as a breeder and not to feed her out. I don't usually get attached, but for some reason I really like this girl.

Showing is just amazing and it was a huge part of my life growing up-I think it helped make me who I am. You meet a ton of people-not only friends but people in the business-contacts are always good. You get a chance to build a reputation for your farm and yourself. It instills work ethic and pride. It is fun and there are a lot worse things you could be doing with your summer!

i show because it's alot of fun. i've met so many people and made a ton of life long friendships. it's taught me responsibility, money management, and to be a better sportsman. its deffinantly an experiance that i wouldn't have traded for anything at all. before i started showing i was a quite reserved little kid but now i'll get up infront of a room packed with people and give a speech. it's made a large impact on my life and it was deffinatly for the good.

thank you show steer up!

also everything in the cattle industry is a learning process and it never ends. ive been learning since i was about 6 and i'm still amazed at what i don't know. i hope this has helped you convince your dad! good luck!

Latest posts