Why do you cross breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Are you seriously suggesting that health problems have a root in crossbreeding?
No not crossbreeding. My point is breeding different size animals, crossbred or not!

If calf birth weight should not be a consideration in mating a bull, then why do we even bother with EPDs?
If birth weight is not a problem to consider when breeding, then why is birth weight part of EPDs?
If weaning weight is not to be considered why is it also part of the EDS.
Did you not read what a damaged thyroid gland can do to a calf?
Guy

I saw a Jersey cow that had a Chianina calf once. Back before Chianinas were club calves. Thing was the size of a jersey calf and grew like crazy. Bigger than the cow, still nursing. Maybe it grew so fast because it's thyroid was messed up? Wasn't mine, I wouldn't advocate doing it, and the guy that did it didn't really intend to do it. But I saw it.

GuySanders":264d8ed7 said:
No not crossbreeding. My point is breeding different size animals, crossbred or not!

If calf birth weight should not be a consideration in mating a bull, then why do we even bother with EPDs?
If birth weight is not a problem to consider when breeding, then why is birth weight part of EPDs?
Guy

No. But none of my professors in my advanced reproduction, beef cattle, and animal breeding classes at A&M bothered to mention it, so it must not be that big of a problem. :deadhorse:

I've never seen a calf with a thyroid problem here.

There's lots of OTHER explanations for any losses that have been posted about here.. Seems like most of them are from illnesses like scours, pneumonia, etc.

No one has ever said you should ignore BW EPD's or anything else when crossbreeding, only that crossbred calves tend to outgrow their PB counterparts... And certainly nothing about crossbred calves having more instances of tangled umbilical cords!

Jed, I really do agree with you

I am thinking that if their Thyroid gland is that easy to damage, than the ropers are killing a lot of good calves! :cowboy:

:bang:

branguscowgirl":cepu6qio said:
I am thinking that if their Thyroid gland is that easy to damage, than the ropers are killing a lot of good calves! :cowboy:

:bang:

Don't let peta hear you say that they will try to take roping out of rodeos.

ricebeltrancher":11i4u6sf said:
GuySanders":11i4u6sf said:

Guy

No. But none of my professors in my advanced reproduction, beef cattle, and animal breeding classes at A&M bothered to mention it, so it must not be that big of a problem. :deadhorse:

Please PM this Guy their contact info so he can share his findings with them. Would be good to publish in some journals so this knowledge is more widely available.

Guy, appreciate you taking the time to share information with us. Keep it coming! Many things are starting to make sense to me now.

Ok you all got me and got me good.
I almost thought I was losing my mind! Until it came to me and I realized no real cattleman can be that stupid and uninformed as you all have been acting. It came to me like being stricken with lightning when I researched this.

An animal roped and ''busted" to the ground suffers from:
a. Bruising with ecchymotic hemorrhaging in the subcutaneous tissues of the neck and shoulders.
b. Dyspnea with resulting ecchymosis in the trachea.
c. Hemorrhaging in the thymus gland.
d. If the noose is snapped tight over the laryngeal cartilage area of the throat, there is bruising to the cartilage. This is very painful and cartilage has slow healing properties.
OK I get your jokes. You really did get this old person wondering if he was losing it. And now that I see the humor and understand what you all were doing, that Selenium thing as a cure all is really funny.

I must give you all credit, as I haven't been had like that since about the 5th grade.You really pulled one over on me! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :tiphat:

Guy

Still dont see anything about "Big" calves getting strangulated from umbilical cords, more then smaller calves, and then getting thyroid disease, and dyeing when they are 300 pounds .

Those 300 # with bad thyroids even die in your state. I had one that got struck by lightning and had a fried thyroid. I am sure that he was dead and his thyroid function stopped! :dunce:

Lightning strike is cobalt deficiency. Has nothing to do with hybrid calves having an enlarged prostate which makes them come backwards and damage their thyroid.

Hey, while we are in a humorous mood and I have time, let me tell you what my friend did to me in 5th grade.
The school had free ear and eye tests and I ended up with a free hearing aide.
Battery operated with wire's going to both ears. The receptor clip to your shirt which is were the volume control was.
I didn't have that thing two days and it stopped working, so off to the nurses office for new batteries.
This happened 6 more times in a week and I was given a new hearing aide each time. This happened 3 times and both the nurse and the manufacturer said there was nothing wrong with the hearing aide and blamed me for doing something to it.
I Said the only thing I do is bang on the receiver when it stops working and it starts to work again.
Q, What happens when it stops working?
A. I can see their lips moving but I cant hear what they are saying.

Well to makea long story short, it seems 3 of my buddies got a kick out of walking up to me and start talking by just moving their lips with no words coming out. They thought is was funny to watch me bang on the box on my chest.
So they got me and got me good and I named them a word I can't say on here and told them "pay backs can be he11.

So I am naming certain friend on here " Jokers ". :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Guy