Why do we watch quietly? Rant

Help Support CattleToday:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jalopy

Reaction score
I feel that a lot of people now with 20-20 hindsight knew that the housing financial boom /bust was going to happen. We all questioned the sanity of mortgages at 90-102% negative equity and ARM's that would definitely go up rather than down from 6%. But we did not get vocal about it or try to change the way things were headed as everyone said "well its a new era" "things are different these days" or "i'm not doing that let everyone fend for themselves". Well now we see what happened.
So my real question is why are we letting seed and livestock genetics be patented and controlled by a few companies? Once they are protected by patents then we are subject to the whims of boards of directors of the companies and if they make errors in judgement along the lines of the boards of the financial anf insurance and equity companies the results can be devastating to the world's food supply not just money supply. I could really get into a long rant so I better stop now to save my train of thought. I do not believe this is a political issue as it has happened over a number of years with both parties in Congress and the Whitehouse it is more of a social issue. So if you discuss this try to keep it social.

IMO, this is political. Too many companies were allowed to merge and crowd out the competition.

It's nothing more than government, business, politics and money that are all combined. America as we have known it is over.....

grannysoo":wbebpaft said:
It's nothing more than government, business, politics and money that are all combined. America as we have known it is over.....

The major problem is Congress just like this dog and pony show they are putting on now about AIG, they knew about the bonus it was in the bail out package. Now when the American people get up in arms they start pointing fingers away from them and here we go again Americans drinking the kool aide. The housing mess has a lot to do with congress and the laws that forced lenders to make loans to people they knew couldn't afford them.
Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac were packaging bad loans with good ones and selling them as A rated bonds.
Why isn't congress up in arms about the Fannie Mae exec that made 90 million plus and put it billions in the hole.
Now congress is breaking the law with it's tax package targeting one group which is unconstitional but again as Americans we are drinking the kool aide as this is ok they are after these evil people that they oked the bonuses for. Usually the guilty dog barks first who's doing all the barking?

Aren't the anti-trust laws still on the books? I'm sure they are, but no one has been interested in enforcing them since ???.
None of these financial giants should have gotten "too big to fail". Monsanto needs to control less than 100% of the seed business.

john250":7c4qwjkk said:
Aren't the anti-trust laws still on the books? I'm sure they are, but no one has been interested in enforcing them since ???.
None of these financial giants should have gotten "too big to fail". Monsanto needs to control less than 100% of the seed business.

Your right and we need a FDIC for the insurance companies, I don't know about the other states as I haven't looked up the info. In Texas AIG is the number one provider of annuities and retirement accounts.
Talk about an O crap if a company like this fails you have a bunch of elderly hard working people lose everything, these people can't get back into the job market and find decent work.

Caustic Burno":3ujy2t72 said:
john250":3ujy2t72 said:

Your right and we need a FDIC for the insurance companies, I don't know about the other states as I haven't looked up the info. In Texas AIG is the number one provider of annuities and retirement accounts.
Talk about an O crap if a company like this fails you have a bunch of elderly hard working people lose everything, these people can't get back into the job market and find decent work.

Senior citizens are at a point in life they should be putting their money in "safe places" like CD's. Not a huge return but guaranteed and insured.

Jalopy":297gkr9v said:
So my real question is why are we letting seed and livestock genetics be patented and controlled by a few companies? ,,,,,,,,,,,, So if you discuss this try to keep it social.

I think people are uncaring, selfish and anti-social at heart. We don't give a rat's arse about anything until it affects our little red wagon. Look at the sin taxes they are levying on certain items. Most people don't care cause they think it doesn't affect them. Look at the high tax rate they are considering putting on the "rich". We don't care cause we have been assured it will not affect us. We need to back up and look at what taxes really are. Simply put, its taking something that belongs to someone and giving it to someone else - plain and simple. What is a law? Simply put, it is something that limits your freedom. We were given 11 laws and I personally don't think they need improving. Isn't it ironic that the "lawmakers" or should I say the feedom-taker-awayers won't allow the 10 original laws in their house? Herein lies the problem and until we stand up as a unified group and demand it - nothing will improve. Can we unify? I doubt it and I think they do too. So until we show them otherwise, I doubt an insignificant thing like a patent on a seed or a bovine will muster much opposition from the general public.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts