Why do they run for cubes?

Help Support CattleToday:

yrcrlsn

Reaction score
We saw Steve the ranch manager give some cubes to stock running right at him. Then one time, when we had a similar white bag, full of bluebonnet seeds, those eager bovines came right at us.
Once I saw a herd of steers running up a hill near the Atoyac Arena, as if they were after cubes. So what's in 'em, pheromones, aromatic esters, cinnamon spice, Sbucks coupons? We just are amazed at their desire for this stuff.

They just like food especially if it is a bit different to what they are eating. I don't dare go near them with a white bucket in my hand.
Welcome to the forum, tell us a bit about your cattle outfit and importantly go and put where you are from against your name. It is one of those buttons up the top, I'm sure you will find it if you explore a bit.

Ken

I knew a guy (idiot) who worked for another conservation district in the state. He was out in a pasture taking soil samples using a white bucket to collect the soil. A "bull" chased him over a steep bank to the rivers edge. Some fishermen pulled their boat over and saved him. Turned out the "bull" was a 4H show steer.

A bucket, cows and city cousins is some of the best entertainment i have had in my life. Right up there with helping me start the tractor by holding spark plug lead!
my fondest memory from years ago was when my brother-in-law (city boy) asked what the eclectic probe was for as he was holding and wondering how it worked. It was one of those 24" probes with 4 d cell batteries. I was explaining it to him when he found the button while he was also holding the probe end in his other hand. I don't think I have ever seen someone jump like that since.

Excavator operator was working in the cow pasture cleaning some ditches. Had to go to his truck to get a 5 gal pal of hydraulic oil to top off the machine. By the time he got back over to his machine he was surrounded by cows two-three deep.

I've caught some cattle half mile from where they ought to be, just take a bucket out of the truck.... put a few rocks in it from the side of the road, rattle it once in a while, and keep ahead of them. Then when they get to where they're suppose to be give them some cubes.

I've caught some cattle half mile from where they ought to be, just take a bucket out of the truck.... put a few rocks in it from the side of the road, rattle it once in a while, and keep ahead of them. Then when they get to where they're suppose to be give them some cubes.
I have done this before. Works like a charm.

Getting cattle hooked on cubes is a double edge sword. If they bust threw the fence you can gather them easily but they become a nuisance when you are out working on the farm.
That's the bad part all right! I try to make sure I only feed cubes out of the pickup, never the 4-wheeler. Sometimes you just want to drive around the herd and look things over instead of having them follow you like puppies.

That's the bad part all right! I try to make sure I only feed cubes out of the pickup, never the 4-wheeler. Sometimes you just want to drive around the herd and look things over instead of having them follow you like puppies.
And knocking the lids off the buckets and eating right out of the back when you're not paying attention. Busted!!!_MG_3357.JPG

And knocking the lids off the buckets and eating right out of the back when you're not paying attention. Busted!!!View attachment 2515
I use cubes mainly to keep my herd tame. Fall calvers are not known for being all that "people friendly." When I go out with the 4x4, I want to chase cows. Doesn't work if they think they need to chase me!

I use cubes mainly to keep my herd tame. Fall calvers are not known for being all that "people friendly." When I go out with the 4x4, I want to chase cows. Doesn't work if they think they need to chase me!
All in how you train them. Mine watch and wait for the tailgate to drop and bag to rattle. Guess they know every time I'm around doesn't mean they are getting cubes. Often wondered why they don't connect the dots. He's got cubes, we have to follow to get them, darn we are penned again. ...

Never had luck chasing cattle to be penned.

Before I got rid of most they would see me pull down the drive and almost be waiting on me to get out of the truck. I'd feed them cubes in the holding pen and open the gates to where they had to leave via the squeeze chute. No way to know for sure how many headaches I saved myself, but they were really easy to work when they got use to that.

I found leading cows to typically be less stressful than chasing them.
Around here you'll get trampled if you have a bucket (usually they contain apples, potatoes or whatever else)

Here's how I pen mine

Latest posts